The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 24, 2018, 12:25 AM   #1
Model12Win

Ammo Pouch for .22?

Guys I'm in the market for a small belt pouch of some kind for carrying loose .22 ammo for plinking with my rolling block or CZ. I've tried the MTM plastic ammo box and the cheap plastic belt clip does not fit over my thick leather gun belts.

Anyone know of a small, spill-resistant (preferably leather) pouch I could use for spare .22 ammo? Thanks.

M12
Old June 24, 2018, 12:46 AM   #2
ms6852

This guy makes custom stuff.
http://jacksonleatherwork.com/2012/1...ol-ammo-pouch/

I use something similar it is a leather pouch with a draw string.
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-2...val-pouch.aspx
Old June 24, 2018, 06:23 AM   #3
Scoits

Uncle Mike—make a black nylon with a belt loop and a spring top
Old June 24, 2018, 12:12 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Don't carry .22 ammo loose. Leave it in the box it comes in and carry that in an M1 Carbine mag pouch. Leather attracts and holds moisture.
Old June 24, 2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Don't carry .22 ammo loose. Leave it in the box it comes in and carry that in an M1 Carbine mag pouch. Leather attracts and holds moisture.
I've carried it loose in pockets for years in the hot summer with no issues. I live in Vegas and there is no moisture here to attract!

Just looking for a handy pouch for plinking.
Old June 24, 2018, 05:11 PM   #6
LeverGunFan

It's pricey, but here is a nice looking leather ammo pouch:

http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/22...ouch_p_88.html

No experience with this one, I have an older Uncle Mike's nylon pouch.
Old June 24, 2018, 05:48 PM   #7
bamaranger

not leather but

I've used the GI nylon first aid /field dressing pouch for some time, the green ones that have a single "ALICE" clip. They're a little sloppy at the top and ammo can spill if you invert the pouch or get carried away with it.....otherwise, they work OK. For rough/active, or long time, hang anywhere, dunk/drop toss it about use, I first put the ctgs in a ziplock bag, then tuck the bag in FA pouch.

I'll add as a side note, the old GI .45 holster with the flap works great with the Ruger MK series auto pistols with the 4"-5" barrels. An old GI web belt makes for a decent rig.
Old June 24, 2018, 07:12 PM   #8
Pahoo

Shell-Shucker

Again, not leather but for my single-shot hunting use, I use a holder called a "Shell-Shucker" Google it and see if you can locate one. They work well for me and might fit your needs. ……

Update; Here you go, this is what I'm talking abut. ..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ammo-Pak-in...MAAOSw0vJbLlU3

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; June 24, 2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old June 24, 2018, 08:09 PM   #9
Model12Win

VERY interesting!! Can you tell me more about this device? Not finding much online about it. Looks handy!
Old June 25, 2018, 10:20 AM   #10
rpseraph

I put a 525 rd box in my dump pouch (search amazon for dump pouches, you'll find a million of them) and it works pretty well
Old June 25, 2018, 11:03 AM   #11
Pahoo

Safe and simple

Quote:
VERY interesting!! Can you tell me more about this device? Not finding much online about it. Looks handy!
I will give you a general description and if you have a specific question, please ask or PM. …..

The unit has two separate vertical compartments that are loaded from the top, that has a snap lid. Each round is stacked on top of the previous round. There is fairly good protection for each round. There is a belt clip on the back. When you need a round, you cup you hand under the one of the compartments and with your finger, push a flexible gate that allows a single round to fall into the palm of your hand.

I have been using mine for over 20yrs. without any problems. I don't have to use it that often and I suspect at some point, it will wear out. But I'll likely wear out before then. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old June 25, 2018, 07:17 PM   #12
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
I will give you a general description and if you have a specific question, please ask or PM. …..

The unit has two separate vertical compartments that are loaded from the top, that has a snap lid. Each round is stacked on top of the previous round. There is fairly good protection for each round. There is a belt clip on the back. When you need a round, you cup you hand under the one of the compartments and with your finger, push a flexible gate that allows a single round to fall into the palm of your hand.

I have been using mine for over 20yrs. without any problems. I don't have to use it that often and I suspect at some point, it will wear out. But I'll likely wear out before then. …..

Be Safe !!!
That's very intriguing! I might pick that one up off ebay. My only concern is bending down, does it get in the way?

I found and ordered this leather pouch of Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Genu...ing+shot+pouch

Amazon Prime got it here in two days, so far it really seems swell. Made in China but seems of durable quality. Has a magnetic top snap that works well. I considered the Triple K .22 ammo holder but it seemed too big for what I wanted. This Chinese pouch holds 100 or so rounds, the Triple K holds 200 rounds which is overkill and looks too big on the belt.

Think I found what I was looking for guys! And it didn't break the bank. Yay!

Last edited by Model12Win; June 25, 2018 at 07:26 PM.