The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 02:48 PM   #1
4bnbad

How to ship my legal long guns from CA to HI

I moved to Hawaii And left my long guns with a friend in his gun safe in So. Cal.
I want to ship here to use. Spring turkey eating in my front yard.
ATF and gun shop owners in Hi can't even agree on the process. DHL, FED-EX, UPS, USPS all have their own story agenda.
does anyone know the straight skinny. I asked my friend ignore all this bravo sierra and just pack up and shi p to me. he says no it's a felony if I get caught.
Old May 27, 2010, 02:56 PM   #2
ISC

You can ship your own guns to yourself without any FFL. You can even ship your own gun to yourself in care of a friend who can recieve the package and hang on to it indefinately untill you pick it up.

If you had done that before you left you'd be fine. Since you aren't there it brings up the other questions. I don't know if he can ship your guns to you. I think so, and if you were my friend and I was holding on to your guns I'd mail them out and not worry about it.

You can't send ammo though...That also assumes that you aren't breaking any hawaii laws. They're pretty restrictive there.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:06 AM   #3
maestro pistolero

Next time you fly home, just fly back with them. Meanwhile, use it as a excuse to buy something new in HI to "tie you over". Aloha!
Old May 28, 2010, 12:06 PM   #4
NavyLT

They get shipped to an FFL in HI and the HI FFL transfers them to you. What's the problem? Your friend cannot ship them to you directly, because that is against Federal law. But anybody can ship to an FFL. Now, your California driver's license, if you still have it, would not work with the FFL in HI, you would have to have a driver's license from another state, preferrably HI. Unless you are active duty military, in which case you would use your military orders + military ID card.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:30 PM   #5
maestro pistolero

Why didn't you just pack them up and ship them with the rest of your belongings?
Old May 28, 2010, 04:08 PM   #6
NavyLT

I found out on another forum the OP is wanting to bring his firearms into Hawaii without registering them as required in Hawaii. He's trying to figure out how to get around Hawaii registration processes and his solution is to have his friend disassemble the gun and mail the separate pieces to him. FYI.

Which explains the mystery as to what is so hard about it.

Last edited by NavyLT; May 28, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Evergreen

FFL, I would always think would be the simplest way shipping things across state lines. I think Hawaii has some real nasty gun laws. You actually have to register your guns, regardless if they are handguns or long guns with the appropriate Hawaiian state goverment agency or risk being hauled off to prison. Hawaii is not a gun friendly state. I am not sure if I am correct, but aren't handguns illegal in Hawaii? So, if your goal is to avoid registration, then it would make no difference if you go the FFL route in that regard.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:40 PM   #8
jgcoastie

Quote:
I found out on another forum the OP is wanting to bring his firearms into Hawaii without registering them as required in Hawaii. He's trying to figure out how to get around Hawaii registration processes and his solution is to have his friend disassemble the gun and mail the separate pieces to him. FYI.

Which explains the mystery as to what is so hard about it.
If this is true, then this thread will not survive much longer.

Attempting to circumvent the law goes against the purpose of The Firing Line; which is promoting responsible gun ownership. What is illegal is rarely responsible.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Don H

What kind of person would induce a "friend" to commit multiple federal felonies?
Old May 28, 2010, 08:29 PM   #10
NavyLT

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum19/44965.html

Quote:
4BNBAD , here, I won't register my guns in HI no one needs to know what I keep in my house. I'll take my chances always afraid of the gun grabbers. me retired USMC VIET NAM VET
I've been hunting since 12 years old I'll get a pal to disassemble my ruger 10/22 and ship in several boxes via USPS
i'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS GOES.
Someone who is p....d off at the trampling of American's rights by oppressive governments. I don't agree that the answer, yet, is to commit felonious acts in defiance of the law. If the current Presidential administration was unfettered in their desires, though, I think we would all soon have tough decisions to make.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:20 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Based on the linked thread and the OP's apparent stated reasons for wanting to bring them into Hawaii, or I should say the stated circumstances surrounding how to bring them into Hawaii, this thread is closed.

TFL is not, never has been, and never will be a site whose purpose and mission is helping people figure out ways to circumvent the law.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread