The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 21, 2019, 02:04 PM   #1
mxsailor803

Handgun hunters

Since this style of hunting is more specialized today than it has been, what are some future mods/upgrades you would like to do to you hunting handgun? Currently I’m using a Smith 629-4 Classic that I installed a Trijicon RMR on. I’m kicking around the idea of having it magna ported or cerakoted. If I get it coated, it will be simple matte black. Think close to the Performance Center Hunter model. So what’s your next mod?
Old December 21, 2019, 05:32 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I gun hunted deer exclusively with handguns for around forty years and did very well at it. The only "mod" I ever made to a hunting handgun was adding a red dot sight. I honestly can't think of anything else to add that would actually improve my success using a handgun. I have had competition guns that had extensive modifications to them, and many were custom built. There was some "need" with the competition guns to modify them to get an edge in competition. With the handgun and hunting, the only thing I ever needed to do was hit what I was aiming at. I did use a couple of my custom guns for hunting (Bill Davis custom built .357mag revolvers...two of them). I can't say that they gave me an edge for hunting. My L frame SW's are just as effective. That all being said, there's nothing wrong with adding something to the gun if it ends up having more appeal to you, the owner. Sometimes you just like some eye candy added to a gun. I've got MGM barrels with cerakoting on them. They don't shoot any better, but I like the look.
Old December 21, 2019, 09:36 PM   #3
sparkyv

At what distances and what do you handgun hunt, mxsailor803 and NoSecondBest? I want to hunt someday with my 629, so I'm looking for advice.
Old December 21, 2019, 11:07 PM   #4
Nanuk

I use a Ruger Super Blackhawk with open sights. 50-75 yards.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 21, 2019, 11:43 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

Quote:
At what distances and what do you handgun hunt, mxsailor803 and NoSecondBest? I want to hunt someday with my 629, so I'm looking for advice.
I've shot over fifty whitetail deer with the .357mag in various revolvers and I've shot another dozen or so with the 44mag and a few with a TC Contender in 30-30, 7TCU, and .357mag. Almost all of those deer were shot under fifty yards and most at around twenty-five to thirty yards. My closest shot was directly under my stand at around ten feet and my longest shot was 167 measured yards. The distance you shoot is dependent upon the gun you're using, how well you can reliably hit at known distances, and whether or not you are shooting off-hand or have some type of rest. As a general rule, only shoot at distances you can reliably keep five shots inside a six inch circle. That is about what I tell everyone with both a handgun and a bow. If you want to be a handgun hunter, plan on spending a lot of time practicing...just like you would shooting a bow. A handgun is very effective as long as you place the shot in the vitals when you shoot. I've only ever lost one deer with the handgun, and it was shot with a full power 44mag load. I simply made a bad shot. It can happen no matter how much you try to avoid it. Just remember, it's not muzzle energy or bullet diameter that kills with a handgun, it's a well placed shot. Good luck if you get into it, it's a lot of fun.
Old December 22, 2019, 11:03 AM   #6
mxsailor803

Sparky, I use my 629 inside 100yds. Is the gun and cartridge capable of more distance? Sure. I goofed around out to 400yds with it aiming at a steel plate in a open field and might’ve hit it 1 of 10 shots. Ethically though, I won’t take a longer than 100yds shot on a deer or hog just because I’m not confident/comfortable enough beyond that. Handgun hunting is a lot like bow hunting, you have to know and understand your limits first.
Old December 23, 2019, 10:29 AM   #7
GE-Minigun

I hunted with a 6.5” S&W 29 Classic Hunter for 20+ years, bone stock. I limited my distances to about 75yds, this was the distance I could hit a paper plate 100% of the time, no matter the position I was in...bench, standing, supported (tree/post), kneeling, prone…you get the idea. Never lost an animal, even took two turkeys, one about 25yds, the other 50 +/- a couple.
Old December 25, 2019, 10:42 AM   #8
buck460XVR

I started deer hunting with a 6" 686. Took several deer over the years with it as a secondary weapon to my rifle. Got to the point about a dozen years or so ago, that I put the rifle up for good and now only take a revolver in the woods with me during the deer firearms season. Because of that, I upgraded to two revolvers that are basically designed for hunting deer. A P.C. 629 Magnum Hunter in .44 mag and a P.C. Compensated Hunter X-Frame in .460 S&W Mag. They work very well for me. Both are extremely accurate, and do their part, if and when I do mine. I limit my shots with the .44 to 80 or under and the .460 to maybe 100 or under. I use electronic muffs all the time while hunting with them, especially when using them in a blind. If someone else is in the blind with me....they too are wearing muffs or are given time to stick their fingers in their ears.
Old December 25, 2019, 02:32 PM   #9
mxsailor803

Buck460, definitely agree of the muffs. They are cheap compared to annoying ringing constantly in your ears. I bet that 460 could wake the dead when in a box blind lol
Old December 25, 2019, 08:23 PM   #10
jrothWA

Have used a Ruger BlackhawK, in .45 LC, 7.5".

I handloaded Sierra 250 gr., HP over Bluedot, and shot to the 75 yards which was the max yardage that I would group a cylinder load , consistently, on a picnic plate.
Old January 4, 2020, 09:39 PM   #11
Steve in PA

I’ve been a dedicated handgun hunter for 20-25 years now.

I hunt with scoped revolver Super Redhawk .44 Magnum, scoped T/C Contenders .44 Magnum, 7-30 Waters and non-scoped revolver Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum.

My scoped handguns are sighted to be dead on at 100 yards. My SBR is my short range handgun and is sighted to be dead on at 50 yards.

Other than adding an optic and using Hogue grips on the revolvers, no modifications to any handgun.
Old January 5, 2020, 05:14 AM   #12
ms6852

The one with a scope is a Taurus Hunter with a 12" barrel and it is a 44 magnum. I have that zeroed at 100 yards and have killed deer up to 85 yards and plenty of doe and hogs between that. My 686 I use it for hog hunting mainly.