The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 28, 2018, 06:18 PM   #1
LineStretcher

Weatherby Mark V German Trigger Guard Screws

If you ever have a need to replace either the front or the rear trigger guard screws on a Weatherby Mark V German, good luck finding them. I searched for several days and sent several inquiries but either got no response or a sorry we don't carry those. I tried them all including Forster and of course Weatherby.

The solution: I ordered 1/4x28tpi x 1-3/4" steel button head socket screws from Fastenal. I turned the heads down to .365 diameter on my lathe and then put the original front screw in and the new longer rear. After torqueing both screws to 35 in lbs I measured the protrusion and removed that amount from the screw. I replaced the front with the other one that I had turned down after cutting it to the correct length. Once I was sure I had them perfect, I cleaned the anodizing off the heads with 400 gr sand paper and then blued them with Birchwood Casey cold bluing.

I had to order 25 of them which is fine and understandable since 1/4 x 28tpi is not something that is normally stocked in their stores (can't get them at Lowes either).

Hope someone finds this useful.
Old September 28, 2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Scorch

You could have gone to Fastenal or similar industrial fastener company and got phosphated grade 8 screws. That's what I usually do when I need action screws and can't find them.
Old September 28, 2018, 08:14 PM   #3
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
You could have gone to Fastenal or similar industrial fastener company and got phosphated grade 8 screws. That's what I usually do when I need action screws and can't find them.
These are grade 5. Shear strength is what is needed. Grade 8 has higher break strength but the shear strength is about the same. I've been through this conversation before and dont care to discuss it again but thanks for the info, I have 23 of these left and only 4 Weatherby's so I'm good for a while.