The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 26, 2018, 04:34 AM   #51
PatientWolf

I’m going to have to go with a Glock model 40 and either a Tilley hat or Stetson.
Old October 26, 2018, 08:49 AM   #52
horseman308

If it has to be an auto, my stainless BHP. Or a 1911, but I think 9mm would be easier to come by if resupply is needed. What I'd really prefer is a stainless .357 S&W 686. Ballistic nylon holster.

Add my KBar, Swiss Army multi-tool, small day pack with first aid, high-calorie energy bars, fire starters, map, compass, sat phone, iodine tablets and water bottles. And lots of DEET.

I'm a Fedora guy to the core - wear daily from October to April. But there is no way I'm wearing a felt hat in the freakin jungle. Classy would be a Panama straw fedora, but a Tilly or boonie hat would be more practical.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old October 26, 2018, 03:40 PM   #53
darkgael

Tilley makes a very nice Winter hat. It is a heavy wool tweed.
Pete
Old October 26, 2018, 08:34 PM   #54
DPris
Member Emeritus

But....we're in the jungle.
Wool tweed hat definitely contra-indicated.
Denis
Old October 27, 2018, 02:24 AM   #55
R_P_K_

My Walther PPS M1......mounted to my folding stock AK 47 with 75 round drum mag. Coonskin hat.

Last edited by R_P_K_; October 27, 2018 at 05:09 AM.
Old October 27, 2018, 06:33 AM   #56
darkgael

Amazon stuff

Hat would be a boonie or a Tilley. I have a Stetson fedora....wool felt....too warm for the tropics.
Knife would be a Condor Hudson Bay...8 inches?
Gun....i went around and around on this one....BHP or 1911? Then i changed my mind completely. I would take my FN FiveSeven.....two 20 round mags. I could easily carry 200 rounds extra in about the same space as a box of .45s.
Pete
Old October 27, 2018, 12:10 PM   #57
DPris
Member Emeritus

5.7's a good Amazonian caliber?
Denis
Old October 27, 2018, 12:28 PM   #58
M88

Re-thinking choice of gun after a few others chose the FN Five-seveN. My Chiappa in .357 not only would be overkill for anything in the Amazon, but it's HEAVY and so are the bullets for it. A more practical solution as darkgael has posted would be something that had punch but was light, with relatively small ammo so you could pack lots of it. My FN with it's fast little 5.7x28's coming out of that 4.75 barrel at 2000 ft/sec deliver serious energy with very little kickback, thus super easy to target and shoot. Like darkael said, judging by laying down a box of each next to each other, I can pack 4-5 boxes of those small 5.7's for every box of .357. No REALLY large animals in the Amazon, but plenty of large snakes and other predators that a well places 5.7 would take care of in a heartbeat.

Fun side track thread... I'm sure there were or will be variations on the theme. The original OP kept it simple... but of course MY screwy brain immediately wondered when I read it... is this an expedition with porters or a pack animal to carry your "stuff"? Were you dropped into the Amazon by chopper or parachute and everything to survive is on your back and has to be carried? Are you alone? How many days food supply do you start with? I know... I ruin movies for myself by over-thinking and picking out all the impossible stuff that just could never happen in the real world... it's a bad habit :-)
Old October 27, 2018, 12:33 PM   #59
Mal H
Staff

Enough fun for now! These threads don't fit in the overall mission of TFL. We let them run for awhile to see how they would track, but it's clear that for the most part, the posts are mostly noise with very little signal value. There are a few exceptions, of course, but not enough to keep the threads open.
Closed Thread