The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 15, 2017, 10:46 PM   #1
Deaf Smith

What is the difference beteen Gen 4 Glock 29 and 29SF?

I see 29SF Glock 10mm guns for sale. But are they the same as the 'Gen4' Glock 29?

The SF version fits my hand very well.

Thanks,

Deaf
Old August 16, 2017, 12:37 AM   #2
DaleA

Well, I've heard that the Glock 20 Gen 3 short frame is the same grip size as the Glock 20 Gen 4 when the smallest Gen 4 back strap is installed. So the Gen 4 is more versatile as you can add the larger back straps to increase the grip size.

I've seen a lot of love for the G40 10mm modular optical system as folk like the longer barrel (6 inches) and it's ready to have optics installed if you have a desire to do that.

The Glock 20SF I've handled still had a little of that feel of a 2x4 in hand but I think I could get used to it just to say I had a 10mm.
Old August 16, 2017, 01:13 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
... the Glock 20 Gen 3 short frame is the same grip size as the Glock 20 Gen 4 when the smallest Gen 4 back strap is installed...
The same applies to the Gen4 29 and the 29SF--and to any of the other Glocks available in both the SF and Gen 4 configuration.

The Gen 4 guns also have a different grip texture.
Old August 16, 2017, 02:49 AM   #4
TruthTellers

There are a few notable differences between the Gen 3 and 4, the biggest being the backstraps.

But something that might easily be overlooked is the grip texture. The Gen 3's, compared to the Gen 4 texture, are awful. The Gen 3's all but make you have to put some sort of grip tape on them, the Gen 4's, it's not necessary unless you really like a certain grip tape that you've used on guns in the past.
Old August 16, 2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Deaf Smith

Ok but are the recoil systems the same?

And will the NY-1 trigger spring I used on other Glocks work in it them?

Thanks,

Deaf
Old August 16, 2017, 10:44 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

The "subcompact" Glocks (26, 27, 29, 30, 33, 39) have always used the compound recoil spring system employed in the Gen 4 guns. So that didn't change in the Gen 4 versions of those guns.

The NY1 spring should work in the SF and Gen4 guns, but you should be aware that there are some small differences in the Gen 4 trigger mechanism which may result in a heavier/different trigger pull than you might have come to expect from the NY1 in previous generation Glocks. If you're going to use the NY1 with the minus connector combo, just keep in mind that it might not be exactly what you would feel with a Gen 3 gun.

I don't know if/how the SF trigger mechanism differs from the Gen 3/Gen 4 guns in terms of feel/pull weight.