The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 1, 2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Hdonly

Thank you, Ruger

I just received my new Ruger 10/22. The magazine latch wouldn't work and the bolt catch didn't work. I pulled the action out of the stock and discovered that the pin that holds the latch in was missing. E-mailed Ruger about the problem Friday evening and got a response yesterday that a new pin was on the way. Ruger has always been there over the many years that I have owned their products. That's why I own so many of them. Thanks to Ruger!
Old August 1, 2017, 11:39 AM   #2
Eazyeach

I've never had to use Ruger customer service. That about says it all. Of course I've been lucky(knock on wood) that I've never had to use any gun manufacturer's customer service.
Old August 1, 2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Reloadron

***Slowly shaking my head***
Had Ruger correctly built the rifle in the first place and had Ruger employed good strict quality assurance procedures and methods the pin would never have been overlooked in the first place. Pretty sad we have reached a point where we praise customer service on products which never should have been defective and shipped at time of manufacture. This is not a shot at Ruger, just so many guns from all manufacturers leave the manufacturer with a defect and when they make good on their screw up we are somehow grateful and praise them.

Ron
Old August 2, 2017, 02:48 AM   #4
stagpanther

LOL--I've bought guns that others on this forum continuously heap accolades on and found them to be defective--it's simply the nature of the beast. I agree a good and responsive customer care service is as important as the quality of the gun itself.
Old August 2, 2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Hdonly

I guess neither one of you two never made a mistake in their lives. Go away.
Old August 2, 2017, 07:42 PM   #6
Reloadron

Quote:
When mistakes are made during a manufacturing process a good quality assurance policy should insure those mistakes never make it out the door to a paying customer, unless of course you like paying money for the mistakes and poor quality assurance of others. You can't be serious? There is a reason manufacturers have quality assurance, maybe you need a real job where people's lives depend on you doing your job correctly the first time. No clue huh?

Ron
Old August 2, 2017, 07:51 PM   #7
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdonly View Post
I've made many, but no one praised me for it.

Jim
Old August 3, 2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
I pulled the action out of the stock and discovered that the pin that holds the latch in was missing. E-mailed Ruger about the problem Friday evening and got a response yesterday that a new pin was on the way. Ruger has always been there over the many years that I have owned their products. That's why I own so many of them. Thanks to Ruger!
I'm not sure this should be offered up as a Ruger praise thread.

Sounds more like a good example of sloppy QC & QA.
Old August 3, 2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Dranrab

Ruger QC has been sorely lacking of late. The first and most important level of customer service is to deliver a fully functional product. To that end Ruger has been stumbling. Thankfully, they don't BS around when it comes to getting it right on the second try.
Old August 3, 2017, 11:05 PM   #10
10-96

Unless he found a way for Ruger to send it directly to him, it's possible the pin could have been removed by, I dunno, maybe a store employee helping himself or his buddy to a part?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 3, 2017, 11:23 PM   #11
Cirdan

I've had to use Ruger customer service twice. Both times the work was done quickly and the gun returned promptly (once replaced with a new at no cost to me).
Old August 4, 2017, 04:39 AM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
Unless he found a way for Ruger to send it directly to him, it's possible the pin could have been removed by, I dunno, maybe a store employee helping himself or his buddy to a part?
Bingo!
Old August 8, 2017, 11:29 AM   #13
langenc

Ruger pinned a loose barrel (not OEM) on a Mark II pistol. Same guns EJECTOR was replaced/tightened and now it is no longer a jamb-o-matic. No cost to me==for repair OR shipping, twice.
Old August 8, 2017, 11:41 AM   #14
9x19

Quote:
... No cost to me==for repair OR shipping, twice.
Until your next purchase.

You have to know they add those costs to their annual budget which is added to the cost of goods sold.
Old August 11, 2017, 07:20 AM   #15
pat701

I could never get very excited over Rugers "investment grade die cast". Maybe i am old fashioned but i prefer forged and cut.
Old August 11, 2017, 09:13 AM   #16
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyeach
I've never had to use Ruger customer service. That about says it all.
I would say that says it all. My experience is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77
Sounds more like a good example of sloppy QC & QA.
I think Ruger has quite loose QC, but the policy of issuing no warranty while very liberally making things right with customers balances things out. If you've ever had to deal with a company that is looking for ways not to perform based on the details of their written warranty or on an assumption that the customer must have damaged the product, the friendly voice and helpful attitude go a very long way.
Old August 11, 2017, 10:50 AM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
I think Ruger has quite loose QC, but the policy of issuing no warranty while very liberally making things right with customers balances things out.
This does not balance out, and it is disappointing that many consumers think it does. This is why I tend to avoid Ruger firearms for any serious use. A gun that is down due to sloppy QC and away at the manufacturer is as good as no gun at all.

That said, I own a number of Ruger firearms as fun guns. I like their products a lot, but don't have unrealistic expectations.
Old August 11, 2017, 11:35 AM   #18
zukiphile

Quote:
This is why I tend to avoid Ruger firearms for any serious use. A gun that is down due to sloppy QC and away at the manufacturer is as good as no gun at all.
My guess would be that most consumers, me included, don't put their arms to use you would consider "serious".

If you doubt the degree to which poor or abrasive customer service can influence customer satisfaction, read any car forum in which someone writes with white hot rage at his warranty claim being denied first by the dealership, then the district manager. Warranty obstacles create lasting ill will.

I had a P95 that failed in its first range session. The trigger moved but the pistol wouldn't fire most of the time. I sent it back, received it a few weeks later, and its never demonstrated any problem since. It's an accurate low recoil arm; I know I am not the only one to regret it going out of production since.

The P95 isn't as nice as my Sig239, but I also didn't expect it to be.
Old August 12, 2017, 12:53 PM   #19
Kachok

Even with occasional QC issues I would still rather buy a Ruger then a Remington. That last Rem 700 I bought was so bad I swore off Remington for good. Very happy with my new 10/22 for what it is worth.
Old August 12, 2017, 01:16 PM   #20
VoodooMountain

Half of my safe is filled with rugers but I think their quality control is slipping as of late. I bought an lcr last year and right out of the box it wouldn't work. I sent it back twice as the first time literally nothing had been done to it. And this thing wouldn't function at all.

I still love ruger. Their service as prompt and polite, they listen to what their customers want, most of their products are built for a lifetime of use, and they are priced competitively.
Old August 12, 2017, 11:36 PM   #21
Fishbed77

Quote:
My guess would be that most consumers, me included, don't put their arms to use you would consider "serious".
I'd have to to agree with you. Most of my firearms don't fall into this category.

But some absolutely do, including my carry guns, home defense pistols and carbines, and, to a lesser extent, my hunting guns.

I expect these guns to work when I need them to, not after a trip back to the manufacturer.