The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 1, 2017, 04:34 AM   #1
terreythompson

Looking for some help with my AR-15, sight won't stay on the damn thing

Hey,

I'm new here but I thought you guys could help out. I've been in the market for a new red dot scope for the last few months and after considering a few brands I finally got one I liked - Holosun HS403A Micro.

Does anyone have any experience with Holosun? I know they are one of the more popular brands out there.

I have no complaints with it, it's great for low light, waterproof and it isn't too expensive. The only problem is the damn thing won't stay securely fit.

After about 3-4 weeks of use it becomes slightly loose. I attempted to contact Holosun but got no response. Right now, I'm thinking of using Loctite to secure it a bit better - as per a suggestion on Gun News Daily - https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-ar-15-scopes/

Anyways, I'm not sure if anyone here can help me out but do you find this to be an issue in general with AR-15 scopes? Should I just keeping tightening the screws or try something else?

I think this might be an issue that others are experiencing because I found another guy who mentioned,

"The mounting base shook loose. As part of my SAP6 project I set up the sight and took it out into the backwoods in winter to zero. After the second magazine of slugs failed to produce a group (this is Canada, so 10 rounds total downrange) I realized the mount had loosened enough for the optic to slide back and forth. You could argue this is my own fault for not torquing hard enough on the star key, as I wasn’t keen on scratching a second optic right away. But what was tight became loose, and I had to go home disappointed."

Thanks in advance
Old August 1, 2017, 06:00 AM   #2
Targa

Go with the blue loctite and you should be good to go. I purchased a Vortex prism scope and it came with instructions to use it in order to keep the mount properly secured. It has worked well for me.
If I remember correctly, the Vortex came with the blue loctite.
Old August 1, 2017, 06:04 AM   #3
B-Shot

I use blue locktite after the first range trip once location of sight is established. If the mount still gives you trouble there are many aftermarket options available.
Old August 1, 2017, 07:04 AM   #4
Mobuck

There may be some fitment issues when interfacing Weaver and Picatinny mounting combinations. Check for this issue. Otherwise, if it's simply loosening of threaded fasteners, lock-tite will fix that.
Old August 1, 2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Reloadron

Loctite 243 (the blue stuff) is likely your best simple solution. That would be my first choice anyway. This assumes the only problem is the securing threads getting loose.

Ron
Old August 1, 2017, 07:48 AM   #6
CombatDiver

Loctite!

Or you could try bubble gum. But I would recommend Loctite.
Old August 1, 2017, 11:29 PM   #7
marine6680

Two things...

Torque all the screws to proper specs, and use loctite when you do.

If the base is removable, use loctite... and use loctite on the screws that tighten it to the rail.

Combined with proper torque, you are not likely to have an issue again. If you do, something else is at play.
Old August 2, 2017, 02:32 AM   #8
stagpanther

I'm one of the few that does not use locktite on scope rings I guess. I've found over the years that eventually it works loose with the influx of gun cleaning solvents--and then the gunky stuff left behind tends to build up and cause gaps and wearing in threads with repeated tightening, possibly causing a slow stripping and wear of the mount threads. Many mounts/rings use aluminum or soft steel and seem to strip easily with not too much torque.

Another thing to watch out for--some mounts use a claw plate to grip the rail and I've seen some designs that if that plate is upside down (easy to rotate the plate) it puts a slight angle in the screw which will strip threads and cause looseness.
Old August 2, 2017, 01:25 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Loctite makes a WIDE range of products some are removable, some are meant to be permanent.

I can recommend the product called "Guntite" the printing on the white tube I have is green. It's meant for guns, holds well, and allows screw removal with the proper tools (no heat needed).

One point, threadlockers work best when all oils, greases and solvents are removed from the threads. They aren't moving parts, and don't need lubrication. Oils and such can prevent a threadlocker from getting the best "grip"

Another solution, that doesn't look as pretty, is once you have everything properly assembled and properly tightened, put a blob of enamel model paint or fingernail polish so that when it dries it covers at lease part of the screw head and the mount it is screwed into. Often this will prevent movement, and if it doesn't, the paint/polish will crack giving you a visual tell-tale that something has moved. Torque-seal is a commercial product that works the same way.

Good Luck!
Old August 2, 2017, 02:46 PM   #10
Skadoosh

44 AMP said:
Quote:
put a blob of enamel model paint or fingernail polish so that when it dries it covers at lease part of the screw head
This. I use Testors model paint...a plethora of colors and is readily available.
Old August 2, 2017, 02:53 PM   #11
zipspyder

I've never had blue loktite come loose on me but I don't spray all sorts of oils and cleaners on my scope rails and or rings either. There is really no need for that. Just wipe it down good with a clean cloth or put oil on the cloth first and not the gun so it receives a very light coat. Unless of course you do the mud/water test then all bets are off.
Old August 2, 2017, 03:15 PM   #12
Reloadron

When I use Loctite 243 (the blue stuff) I clean the threads using a Q-Tip and isopropanol alcohol. Yes, you need to remove any oils or grease from the mating surfaces.

Ron
Old August 3, 2017, 07:36 AM   #13
CDR_Glock

I have a Primary Arms red dot. I use Blue Loktite. I have used the mount given to me, as well as risers from third parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 8, 2017, 11:33 AM   #14
langenc

Another solution, that doesn't look as pretty, is once you have everything properly assembled and properly tightened, put a blob of enamel model paint or fingernail polish so that when it dries it covers at lease part of the screw head and the mount it is screwed into. Often this will prevent movement, and if it doesn't, the paint/polish will crack giving you a visual tell-tale that something has moved. Torque-seal is a commercial product that works the same way. Copied from above.

Just clean the threads, both sides w/ alcohol or brake cleaner, then fingernail polish on the threads instead of locktite. Never had one come loose. Let lay overnight before using after applying.
Old August 10, 2017, 07:37 AM   #15
Mobuck

Use loktite "stud retainer" but don't expect to remove that fastener-EVER.(or plan to buy new screws after twisting the old ones off)
Old August 10, 2017, 07:49 AM   #16
stagpanther

Quote:
but don't expect to remove that fastener-EVER
another reason why I don't loktite my ring screws.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 10, 2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old August 10, 2017, 08:26 AM   #17
doofus47

I blue locktite any and all threads on my scope and scope base.