The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 19, 2017, 10:46 AM   #26
tipoc

I poked around a bit and found this...

Quote:
I have an answer, direct from Starline Brass. Spoke to a company tech person, who said they personally have not tested any Shields with their brass. Their information was derived from reading problems about Shields on Forums, and as such put the notice on their website. He said the issue is only with high powered ammunition, and not with normal practice ammo. He said with higher power and +P loadings, that there might be an issue with case bulging. He said it is not a consistent issue and my be a minor occurrence, but they felt notice should be posted. Only the Shield and no other M&P models.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...d-chamber.html

The S&W forums have a good deal of discussion of this over the years.

tipoc
Old August 19, 2017, 08:23 PM   #27
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc
Nowhere does [the Shield manual] say not to use +P ammo. ... Basically it says that if the ammo is right for the gun and within [SAAMI] pressure specs then it's allright to use but that use also have to use your judgement on what is good for you and the gun.
Yup!

As noted in my post, 9mm+P IS within SAAMI pressure specs, and can be assumed to be safe by default unless the manual specifically says NOT to use it—which it doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc
I have not read of any "Ka-Booms" as a result of this. Glock had it's issues with the 40 S&W and lack of chamber support some years back.
IIRC the Glock kB! issue mostly manifested itself in two situations: when using a certain brand of early .40 S&W ammo that had unusually thin case walls (Federal IIRC), or when using previously-fired "Glocked" cases that had been fired in the gun previously, had bulged, and were resized and fired again.

Reloading manuals still have warnings stating that "Glocked" .40 S&W brass shouldn't be reused. I wonder if we're going to see similar warnings concerning "Shielded" brass.

Last edited by carguychris; August 19, 2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old August 20, 2017, 02:10 PM   #28
jerryd

9mm Shield

I have used Ranger +p+ 124 grain in all my 9mm with no problems. Wont do a steady diet of it but the shield took a 50 rd set of it and pretty accurate do!
Old August 20, 2017, 05:50 PM   #29
Iron bottom

No 9mm Parabellum, 40S&W or 45 auto ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols. SR9, SR9c and 9e, SR40 and SR40c and SR45.

No beating around the bush. No interpretations. You know what you are getting.
Old August 29, 2017, 06:00 AM   #30
Brian48

Been shooting +P ammo from a variety of manufacturers since I got my Shield. Haven't noticed any signs of over pressure or case bulging yet. My usual carry load these days is the Federal 147gr +P.