The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 16, 2017, 07:26 AM   #51
redlightrich

@turtlehead, the funny thing is when my gun arrived brand new, the pin that holds the bolt was never peened properly from the factory. There is a thread about it here.
Just racking the slide a few times caused it to come out to the point of the firing pin popping out back of the slide!!
I put it back together, and used a small ball bearing and brass jaw vice to peen it nicely.
Now I need to remove it again!!!! I hope I didn't do too good a job!!!

I will photocopy both, side by side. That is a terrific idea, although, at this point in my life, I can afford to simply buy the upgraded VQ extractor.

It is a good thing however to have a pattern, and the ability to fix it. I suspect that there are a good number of shooters that may be retired or have some extra time on their hands, and would love to fix their own, just for the sake of a project. I respect that.

The Model 41 amazes me. It has a sloppy chamber, it has a sloppy slide, the rim of the round moves sloppily in the bolt, yet it is laser accurate? Even with mediocre ammo, like CCI SV or FED AM?
It does have a wonderful trigger, and feels just right in my hand. Love it!!

Rich