The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 15, 2017, 10:26 PM   #26
Equin

I feel the OP's pain. About an hour's drive each way for me to get to my club's outdoor range. I don't mind the drive too much, though. My main issue is finding the time to go with work and family obligations.
Old July 15, 2017, 10:31 PM   #27
Colorado Redneck

Its 45 minutes to my shooting range. Sometimes I get there a couple times a month. Nice range, good people, and the people that use the range are usually friendly. Its over an hour to the nearest prairie dog town, but a few times each year I drive 2 1/2 hours each way to go doggin. Just a fact of life, for me. My other half is much like Rickyrick's, never whines about guns,loves venison and antelope meat, encourages me to enjoy life. It is a truism-"Happy wife, happy life."
Old July 15, 2017, 11:47 PM   #28
Rancid

I'm in the sticks on 120 acres and I have a permanent 300 yard rifle range and when the corn is cut I can shoot 700 yards. Handguns and shotguns are just shot where ever you want as long as you don't hit the vehicles, barns, or dogs. I have a deer stand 50 yards from the front door with a built in bench overlooking the aforementioned corn field. I'm spoiled rotten.
Old July 18, 2017, 11:49 PM   #29
Prof Young

Good reminder to be grateful . . .

So I am ten minutes away from an indoor range where I have a life time membership and about the same distance to a buddy who has land out in the country where I can hunt, shoot and fish.

I have it good . . . and I am grateful.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 30, 2017, 10:30 AM   #30
billcarey

I can relate to the move. I used to live 25 miles from a beautiful outdoor range for every type shooting and shot there every week or two for yrs. 8 yrs ago I moved and that range is now over 60 miles away which greatly impacted my range time. Now I shoot at a small 25 yd indoor range and have to buy their ammo to shoot there. I reload but can't use my ammo and can't shoot all my long guns there either...the enjoyment factor just doesn't happen at this range (or for me, any other indoor range). The good part is this range is a 3 mile drive from my house.
Old July 30, 2017, 11:33 AM   #31
Don Fischer

Sounds to me like someone need's to invest in a good size piece of land just out of town and put in an under ground range. Nosler in in a populated area in Bend, Ore. I've seen their set up, 100 yd under ground range. From outside you can't hear firing! Of course ear plugs would be required!
Old August 10, 2017, 04:56 PM   #32
kenny53

My favorite indoor range is about 15 minutes from the house. 25 yards allows hand gun and rifles. There is an outdoor range about 10 minutes away.
I haven't shot there in a couple of years. Hours are kind of weird. 300 yard range is about 45 minutes away, this cost $10.00 a year. My favorite place to shoot is 100 miles from the house. It's out in the middle of the desert and in the 39 years I have gone there I have only seen other people about 3 times. Because of health issues my darling bride won't let me go out there by myself anymore. Now I only shoot out there about two times a year.