The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 24, 2017, 09:17 PM   #26
Pep in CA

Two things seem certain here: 1) in target shooting, the cost of ammo and targets far exceed the cost of guns. 2) target shooting is an expensive hobby/sport.
Old July 25, 2017, 10:07 AM   #27
FITASC

It can be if you get into it and want to excel - but that is true for ANY hobby or sport. When my kids were young, they loved to snow ski. Lessons, daily pass, gear, etc. (and they kept outgrowing stuff) got real expensive real fast. I know a lot of guys who have some collector/hobby amateur car/race car - and on and on..... hopefully when you buy a good shotgun, it is a buy-once, cry-once experience. For some folks that might mean $1k, others 10K and some others $100K for the gun. Whatever works best for you. As long as it fits, and you're enjoying yourself, it doesn't matter what the other has
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 27, 2017, 01:22 AM   #28
Pep in CA

There is a lot of good advice in this thread and I don't disagree with the members who recommend buying a high end O/U shotgun for target shooting. They all reason well.

There are indeed instances when one should splurge. I splurge in buying furniture and cookware, for example. I expect them to last a long time and I will use them often.

On the other hand, one should know beforehand what he is getting himself into financially.