The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 17, 2012, 12:59 PM   #1
DennisCA

Steyr 95-34 8x56R

Saw this on the J & G Site:
http://www.jgsales.com/steyr-95-34-8...t.-p-6007.html

Worth-While?

I realize that is going to be a bear to get (another GOOD resason to reload)
Old August 17, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

I have both the Austrian Styer, and the Hungarian Budapest models. Interesting rifles, and I believe the $99 price is a good one. The were ten or so under that when I bought mine, but more recently have gone up to around $130. Surplus ammo is hard to find, and when you do find it it sells for about a buck per round. There is some commercial ammo available, but again not the easiest to find. The surplus ammo I have is WWII Nazi stamped, and although I have only shot about 100 rounds of the 500 I have it has been 100% reliable. BTW, I bought it several years ago when I bought the rifles. It was going for about $3 per box of 2 loaded 5 round clips. And yes I said clips. It uses an en-bloc clip, and they are necessary for shooting the rifle in any way other than a single shot.
The availability of reloading supplies for 8X56 R Hungarian can be an issue as well.
For a C note I'd say what the heck, it's really an interesting rifle.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 17, 2012, 01:30 PM   #3
DennisCA

en-bloc clip

Cheapshooter: Suggestions for places to buy them?
Old August 17, 2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Barber2678

Try ebay. Seem like that's where I bought mine.
Old August 17, 2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

ebay would probably be your best bet. I can't remember seeing them advertised by any of the distributors. Possibly try to find some of the Nazi surplus ammo, and just remember to pick them up when you finish shooting. they drop out of the bottom of the rifle after the last round is chambered.

This link from a google search: https://www.buymilsurp.com/magazines...s-c-24_27.html

WOW!!! $10 each. think I'm gonna do some "unpackaging", and ebay listing tonight!!! I've seen the ammo, two clips of 5 rnds, for $8.00-$10.00 at gun shows. I tried to make a deal with them for a trade on other ammo for some of the 3 or 4 hundred rounds I have left. they said they didn't want any more.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 17, 2012, 07:27 PM   #6
tahunua001

last I checked there were none on ebay, about half an hour on goolge just brouht up a bunch of expired auctions and not much else, that is the main reason I never bought my M95
Old August 17, 2012, 08:28 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I might be wrong, but IIRC, that case can be made from 7.62x54R Russian by neck expanding and fire forming. The case will be a bit short, but no big problem.

Jim
Old August 18, 2012, 07:13 PM   #8
chiefr

Check with Graf and Son. They usually carry the bullets and the brass. Lee made a run of dies and they are still around. Reloading is the only way to go with this one.
Old August 29, 2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Sassoon

As this is the rifle our forebears fought with in the Armies of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the First World War, usually every Austrian shooter owns one of these. Although they are not renowned for being super accurate, they stood the test of time from the beginning of the 20th cent. to after the end of WWII. They were used in WWII by Bulgaria, Romania and other Balkan states and also still partly by the German Army and police forces. Here in Austria you pay around 190 Euro for this rifle. (Bolt action rifles are free to buy without any special gun permit in Austria)
Greetings from overseas, S.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:25 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think cheapshooter is talking about keeping track of the clips, as they are hard to get. Like other Mannlichers, the clips fall out the bottom of the rifle when all the rounds have been fired.

Jim
Old August 30, 2012, 02:33 AM   #11
Sassoon

The clip system is prone to malfunction. They always clamp and you have to try and bend them into shape. Usually I end up without using them on the range. Feeding the bullets one after the other after each shot makes you better realize the price of each cartridge anyway