The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 6, 2001, 06:13 PM   #1
Bogie

Was sitting around with some friends, watching a movie, and playing a little with my 2-3 week old CRKT Crawford-Kasper knife... Muscle memory, you know? Well, I'd been opening it by sliding the blade around with my thumb on the pivoting stud... Sort of slow, but sure... And I was getting faster and more adept at it with practice.

Well, lemme tell you, I fumbled, and instead of putting my thumb on the stud, I put it right below the stud... Fingernail went down, touched the blade, and when I moved my thumb away from me, the blade just FLEW open... I think I like this knife...

Old May 6, 2001, 09:11 PM   #2
madmike

You may also like the Camillus Cuda (cam opening) or Kershaw Ken Onion Torsion Assist---sprung like an automatic, but you must open it the first fraction of an inch manually. It's not automatic, so it's legal where they aren't.
Most modern tactical folders will do what you describe, and can be adjusted tension wise.
Old May 9, 2001, 03:10 PM   #3
hollow point

I carry one of the Kershaw torshion assisted blades. When I first tried it out in the store, the salesman placed a small plastic guard over the rear part of the blade. I scoffed at it, seeing as I have opened my fair share of tactical folders! Anyway, as I moved the blade a fraction of an inch, the blade swung open and my thumb knocked the plastic guard off. If the guard hadn't been there I would've had a nice slash along my thumb. Luckily the knife came with one of the plastic guards and I put it on before letting anyone open it for the first time. It's funny to watch their faces when the realize what just happened! - JHP
Old May 11, 2001, 02:09 AM   #4
Mort

Right! You've touched upon the secret of openings. Most folks think you have to help the stud or hole through its entire arc of travel, but you just have to push in a straight line. The mechanism does the rest. All one-hand folders work this way, but the CRKT KFF is particularly smooth about it. Thank those big Teflon washers.