The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 20, 2012, 09:02 PM   #1
warbirdlover

Deer Blinds or Stands

All you "stand" hunters show us where you sit during rifle deer season. Here is my little 4' X 8' (8' high) "slice of Heaven". And another pic my brother doctored up making fun of me. It sits on top of hill in an oak woods.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a1.jpg (162.3 KB, 698 views)
File Type: jpg 1a2.jpg (47.8 KB, 683 views)
File Type: jpg 1a3.jpg (130.0 KB, 683 views)
Old September 20, 2012, 09:24 PM   #2
TXAZ

$3 for cotton candy seems a bit high...

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 20, 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
slammedsi

Here is the newest of the 7 box blinds i have.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:45 AM   #4
1tfl

I use stands here as blinds do not allow good view. I have to go up to see anything.

Having said that, I'm doing more spot and stalk hunts now along with ambush hunts on hogs from the ground. It's a lot more work and not as successful but a lot more fun.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:12 PM   #5
warbirdlover

Spot and stalk is fine if you're young and strong. If you're old and weak you sit in a blind out of the rain or snow, with a warm heater by you and just enjoy the quiet of the woods. (I'm pretty deaf so I don't hear the heater... or the deer... or much else)....
Old September 21, 2012, 08:33 PM   #6
buck460XVR

Quote:
Spot and stalk is fine if you're young and strong. If you're old and weak you sit in a blind out of the rain or snow, with a warm heater by you and just enjoy the quiet of the woods.
That and a "spot and stalk" hunt don't last long when you're restricted to hunting one or two average size farms in Wisconsin. One really needs "big woods" to do that all day/all season. Unless your intentions are to push all the deer over to the neighbors. As most of us who hunt here know, in Wisconsin farmland, sittin' is what works best early in the season and then small, safe, well planned drives later on.
Old September 22, 2012, 04:25 PM   #7
warbirdlover

Quote:
That and a "spot and stalk" hunt don't last long when you're restricted to hunting one or two average size farms in Wisconsin. One really needs "big woods" to do that all day/all season. Unless your intentions are to push all the deer over to the neighbors. As most of us who hunt here know, in Wisconsin farmland, sittin' is what works best early in the season and then small, safe, well planned drives later on.

buck460XVR
You're exactly dead on with this statement buck. I was including the whole country but if the six of us hunting on 120 acres of oak woods start roaming around we chase the deer out and screw up each other's hunting. So we go in the woods in the morning as a group, dropping off at our stands on the way, and come out doing the same thing. Nobody leaves their stand the whole day. And we get deer.

We we've swayed away from the topic. Show us pics of your stands or blinds. That's what I wanted to see.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:21 PM   #8
sc928porsche

Holmes is going to be ticked if you didn't get a permit.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:41 PM   #9
TXAZ

Home depot has camo sheathing

I was surprised but you can now get camo sheathing at HD.
Here's a pic.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-x-4-...863/203519865/

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 25, 2012, 05:43 AM   #10
PawPaw

That looks about like the box stands we use in Louisiana. Some are made of wood, some are made of other materials, but scrounged lumber is probably the most common construction material. My brother-in-law is a professional carpenter and he's been building them to be as lightweight as possible and to disassemble in panels so that we can move them when conditions change or when materials rot.

Mine has lots of the comforts of home and if I could figure out how to put a flush toilet in one corner, I might never have to come out of the blind. It's my little bit of heaven as well.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 29, 2012, 09:26 AM   #11
warbirdlover

bump...

I'm still looking for pics of your hunting stands/blinds or whatever.
Old September 29, 2012, 09:47 AM   #12
TheNatureBoy

Either or. Doesn't really matter. I have a ole man portable tree stand thats tough to beat. Super comfortable.
Old September 29, 2012, 09:58 AM   #13

In the back yard for quickie hunts

Here's a look from outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img640.jpg (193.9 KB, 112 views)

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old September 30, 2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Win73

This is one of my stands. By the way, the buck facing the camera as they are sparring only has one antler.

This is my other built stand. You can just see it between the trees.

I also have a 17 foot ladder stand 25 yards from a big oak tree that is always full of acorns.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:33 PM   #15
warbirdlover

You have to look at the video of this tree blind in the link. And it's only $4000!

http://natureblinds.com/products/tree-blind/
Old October 4, 2012, 07:11 PM   #16
Rembrandt

Don't laugh.....I'm in the process of building a "Hay Bale Blind". Constructed of EMT electrical conduit and cattle panels complete with sliding windows and magnetic door closer. Covered with plastic tarp and duck blind grass....just hope the cattle don't start eating on it. Should be into it for less than $300.

Old October 5, 2012, 07:48 AM   #17
warbirdlover

Now that is slick!! You could sell those for big dollars!! I'm serious! And it would look natural in most parts of the US in hay fields.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:06 PM   #18
MOshooter65202

We built steel tripod stands and ladder stands,both designs have swivel seats with a gun rest mounted to the swivel seats.

One of the ladder stands we have has a set of hard bicycle tires on an axle that bolts to the ladder of the stand and a hitch coupler that bolts to the end of the ladder,we can then load 5 tripod stands on the ladder stand which is a temporary trailer hooked on back of a 4 wheeler and off through the woods and pastures we go setting up stands.

The tripods we built are 12 feet off the ground with 8 feet between each leg,the ladder leg is a foot wide ladder we built from 1" steel square tubing and used 1/2" rebar for the ladder rungs,the other two supporting legs are made from 1 1/8" square steel tubing.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:10 PM   #19
MOshooter65202

Very nice job on the bale blind!!
Old October 7, 2012, 11:52 PM   #20
Departed402

I prefer tree stands (aka deer stands), unless the weather gets bad.

Tree stand guys chime in here, but it has been my experience that deer are not very interested in stuff going on up in trees. However, stuff on the ground sure seems to get their attention. Feral cats and coyotes seem to notice me in a deer stand from far away. Deer seem mostly oblivious, and when they do notice me they seem to be more perplexed with trying to figure out what that thing is in the tree. Deer seem more easily spooked by stuff on the ground.

I've done blind hunting. While blinds generally conceal drawing a bow, or moving your rifle around it can also be harder to see approuching game, whereas tree stands give you a much better view.

Tree/Deer Stand
Pros: better view, deer seem less skiddish
Cons: more exposed to both elements and the eyes of prey

Ground Blind
Pros: modest shelter, more concealed
Cons: limited view, deer more interested in ground action

A final plus for tree stands, when wearing blaze orange tree stands also make you more visible to other hunters, which allows them the steer clear and improves safety.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:07 AM   #21
jimbob86

I usually just walk in to my "spot" and sit down with my back to a tree. There are a few brush piles and low tree limbs that kind of screen us. So long as you don't make any noise or sudden moves, deer are pretty oblivious, particularly during the rut, which generally coincides w/ opening weekend of the Firearm Deer season in Nebraska.

I have had deer walk right by me and the kids ......I have been taking 2 or 3 of my kids and nephews and nieces for about 10 years now. I've shot deer as close as 15 feet, and as far as 460 yards...... none were even looking at me when they got whacked.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:09 AM   #22
jimbob86

Rembrandt, I really like the bale blind..... were I a rich man, I'd have you make me one.
Old October 8, 2012, 04:42 AM   #23
Geezerbiker

I think the bail blind looks too good for use around here. I'm afraid to be in one when a car load of the worst kind of red necks come around shooting any everything in sight.

Tony
Old October 8, 2012, 11:09 AM   #24
shortwave

Quote:
I'm afraid to be in one when a car load of the worst kind of red necks come around shooting any everything in sight.
There's three ground blinds I hunt out of when not up in a tree. Two are in some heavy cover and you just couldn't see them from a distance over 40yds. Today, all these blinds have 2'x3' pieces of hunter orange canvass on all four side and can be seen from afar.

The deer don't mind at all.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:11 AM   #25
warbirdlover

Only six of us hunt the 120 acres we lease for gun hunting (rolling hills oak woods surrounded by marsh and all that surround by corn fields). Rednecks are fair game!!