The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2018, 08:23 AM   #1
bigfish678

Assessing LC Smith Model 0 circa 1896

Hello to the Forum

Many years ago I inherited an old L.C. Smith double-barrel shotgun that has been passed down through my family. My own shooting days are over (never fired this gun …) and I am considering now what to do with the gun.

The gun is a model ‘0’ 12-gauge hammerless with serial number 41542. This likely makes the year of manufacture 1896 according to catalogues available online.

To my eye, the gun appears to be in largely original condition and hasn’t been restored at least recently. It does articulate smoothly albeit maybe a bit stiff.

I see three potential deficits concerning this gun:
1. The RH firing pin is missing; leaving a small threaded receiving socket. LH side is intact
2. There is a small irregular bump of 5mm diameter midway along the RH barrel
3. The shoulder rest plate is black plastic and carries a ‘Remington’ logo (replacement?)

I am having a local certified gunsmith look at the piece in the near future, especially to assess the small bump on the RH barrel (item 2 above). If anyone on the forum is interested to help me assess the state of this gun, let me know. If so, I have a number of pix to post.

BF
Old September 7, 2018, 12:50 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I speculate that somebody removed the right firing pin so as to not risk a rupture at the bump on the right barrel. Is it Damascus?

Yes, a Remington buttplate on a Smith is a replacement.

My assessment is that it should be cleaned, waxed, and hung on the wall; left side out, and dusted occasionally.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:00 AM   #3
bigfish678

Jim, your supposition makes sense, … thanks. Barrels are not Damascas steel. Subject to confirmation by the local gunsmith here, this is likely a wall piece.

bf