The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 9, 2000, 01:58 PM   #1
Kentucky Rifle

Hi Friends!
In two weeks my wife is going for her CCW. I told her she can have the carry pistol of her choice. One of the pistols she's looking at is the Smith&Wesson Ti snubby, in .32 H&R magnum.
She is moving up from a .22, so soft recoil is important. I want her to get a pistol that she's comfortable with and, more importantly, will look forward to practicing with. I've read that the .32 H&R magnum has soft recoil and has the power of a .38. This sounds good, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Thanks,
Will

------------------

[This message has been edited by WLM (edited January 09, 2000).]
Old January 9, 2000, 02:45 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

It is not soft in the ti guns. I've shot 'em.
I'm a fairly experienced shooter and they give you a bit of a rap in the hand.

I posted on this - search on 331 or my name.
That being said - someone who wants to can master the gun.

As far as hitting like a 38 - that was the rhetoric when the round appears but it
isn't a particularly powerful round.

As far as practicing - 32 HR ammo is not common and fairly pricey.

If she wants a snubby, try a SW 642. It is still a light gun. Try the Federal PDA 38
SPL rounds - they are not bad and feel the
same as the 32.

But rent 'em first before you buy. Also, rubber grips are better for recoil.

Neither guns give you the accuracy of a good semi. The accuracy is fine out to 7 yards.

How is she going to carry? One might look
at a small 9 mm.

You really have to try these out.
Old January 9, 2000, 03:40 PM   #3
singleshot

The recoil of the .32 is 1/3-1/2 that of a comparable weight revolver in .38 (obviously this depends on the ammo). While it is certainly true that it doesn't have as much "power" as a .38 if she can shoot it comfortably and well that's all that matters. If she can put holes where she wants to then anyone else's opinion is just so much BS.

I think the suggestion to rent before you buy is very good.

The availability of .32 Mag ammo probably isn't a big concern either. After all, how much is she really going to shoot it? The good news is that more ammo makers are starting to produce the cartridge. Black Hills just added it to their catalog along with Georgia Ammo. Rumor has it that we might see it from some of the other biggies.
Old January 9, 2000, 04:15 PM   #4
JackNKoch

I have shot the .32 H&R Magnum out of an all steel 2" bbl S&W J-frame (sorry, forgot the model). Recoil is definitely less than standard .38 Special. This gun was purchased by a lady who was just getting into shooting and was recoil sensitive. It was bought on the advice of a friend and myself after she tried several of our guns. I think the "stopping power" will be better than the .22 LR and close to a .38 Special target wadcutter or similar light recoil load in that caliber. I am not trying to start a one shot stop debate. I am just trying to say that if that is the largest caliber she can control, then it is the right choice for her. Have her try as many different guns and loads as possible. Tactics and mindset are what really saves the day anyway, IMHO.
Old January 9, 2000, 04:20 PM   #5
denfoote

I'd have her look at the small frame .38 spl first. Maybe something in a 3in barrel. The accuracy gains over the 2in are tremendous. The gun would be just as concealable too.
If she likes autoloaders, I would show her the Walther PPK or the Khar MK9. But, why choose, get her all three!!

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!
Old January 9, 2000, 05:43 PM   #6
Kentucky Rifle

Friends,
We just this minute got home from the range. She shot the .22 cal. Ruger single six like a champ! All rounds went into the X ring. She also shot her father's .32 cal. Kel-Tec. It's a pretty good little pistol. No malfunctions, she shot better groups than me with the .32.
As she was looking into the show cases she got a kind of gleam in her eyes when she got to the all stainless .380 cal. Sig P232. I think that could be the one. Whatever she wants is OK with me. I'm just glad she's going to be armed. And I'm really glad she's going for her CCW. And I'm super glad that she likes to practice!

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.
Old January 9, 2000, 06:50 PM   #7
CCV

The SIG is an excellent choice if you are looking for a .380.
Old January 9, 2000, 08:17 PM   #8
LOCHFAL

I once bought an Intratec derringer in .32 H&R mag. Big mistake for me. The round wasn't that bad, not the recoil anyway, but I had wanted it in .357 and had let the guy behind the counter talk me out of it. Defensively I'd rely on it quicker than a .380 but would feel safer with a 9mm or better.
Old January 10, 2000, 01:26 PM   #9
HKMark23

When my girlfriend started showing an interest in shooting, I too had her pick what she wanted and was comfortable with. (it seems like to many guys pick what "they" want their signifigant other to have) Anyway, she too liked the Ti, we tried both the .32HR and the .38spl but she settled on the .38spl mainly for the availability and cost. She also did'nt think the recoil was all that much different between the two (they both can be wicked). There is the slight advantage of the 6th round but we both figured if you can't solve the problem with five, one more would'nt help. Anyway-Goodluck!
Old January 10, 2000, 02:19 PM   #10
Gino

Couldn't you shoot 32 shorts or 32 longs in that 32 H&R stubby? I think this would be an easy way to get someone that is recoil sensitive to practice...
Old January 10, 2000, 06:14 PM   #11
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Is the Ti Smith ported? I know the Taurus is. Supposed to really help w/ the recoil...
Old January 10, 2000, 11:54 PM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

The Smiths aren't ported. I recall reading that with the construction of the shroud and barrel that porting would be difficult.
But who knows.

As far as a previous comment, that ammo cost isn't important as you won't be shooting it much - bad TFL'er.

You should shoot your carry gun alot. I try to run 50 rounds through my 642 when I also practice with my 9mms (200 rounds). But at
$7.00 a box for 38 SPL it's not so bad.
At $20 a box - Ouch.

Snubbies aren't the easiest gun to shoot.
I guess they can be emergency in your face guns but you should shoot them more than once a year.
Old January 11, 2000, 01:03 AM   #13
Kentucky Rifle

Well, now she has another option. I went to the gun shop today to buy some ammo. (.40 cal. Federal Hydra-Shoks, .380 cal. Fed. Hydra-Shoks, .32 cal. Winchester Silvertips, .22 cal. Remington high speed JHP's. They had two stainless steel Walther PPK/S's. One in .32 ACP and one in .380. These are really slick firearms. However, I've heard that the Walthers made here are not as good as the ones made in Germany. Anybody have any opinions as to this? I'm leaning toward the .32 ACP. If she doesn't want it, I do. I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.
Old January 11, 2000, 02:08 PM   #14
BigG

I don't know where these fellers are coming from who say the S&W snubbies are inaccurate. Mine shoot minute of beer can at 50 feet all day long on Double Action.

Maybe they should try to shoot one before they finally decide their opinions!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

Old January 15, 2000, 08:14 PM   #15
Ranger Chris

I've owned two S&W 631 .32 Mag. J-Frame all steel revolvers. One had a two inch barrel, the other a four inch with adjustable sights. Both were accurate. They were carried by me on low incident patrols, and shooting the police qualification with either was routine. The .32 Mag offers adequate power for self defense, and is usually easy to control. Ammo is available at gunshops or from mail order ammo suppliers, but not at Wal-Mart type stores.

In a really light weight .32 Mag, consider using Federal .32 S&W Long wadcutter if the .32 Mag hollowpoint has too much recoil for the shooter.

I really like the .32 Mag in small revolvers. Most of us in this forum already know that shot placement is a most important factor in self defense with a handgun. The S&W revolvers are quite capable in this respect. Chris

[This message has been edited by Ranger Chris (edited January 15, 2000).]