The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 26, 2021, 07:24 PM   #51
dogtown tom

Quote:
Mike38 1) AR pistols.
2) AK pistols.
3) Bump stocks.

The above are for people that have more money than brains, in my opinion. Zero practicality.
Nearly every customer who I transfer an AR or AK pistol to says they intend to install an "arm brace". Thereby being able to "shoulder" it, avoiding the $200 federal tax stamp for an SBR.

And SBR's sure as heck beat a 16"bbl.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 26, 2021, 09:05 PM   #52
rickyrick

I’m about ready to ridicule this thread... lol jk.

I’ve learned to love AR pistols, but I did ridicule them In the past. (Actually I ridiculed ARs for a bit).

I built the first one when parts were cheap and already had the AR rifles that I wanted. So I figured “why not?”
I first built a 10” 5.56 pistol... I liked shooting it, it was a hoot. I found the whole stock thing unnecessary, as you can shoot it well with a good cheek-weld on the tube.
However, the 5.56 muzzle blast and noise was a deal-breaker to me.
I dismantled the upper, threw the barrel in the parts bin and used the upper receiver for a 6.8 rifle build.
I still liked the fun and ease of shooting an AR pistol, so I built a 10.5” 300aac upper from scratch, added a great POF trigger to the pistol lower, and away I went.

The 300AAC pistol is now my favorite AR and it is the only one I’ve felt like wasting ammunition on for an afternoon shooting session during this current panic.

Long story short... I just don’t get the obsession with AR pistols with braces or the need for any kind of stock. You can shoot them just fine without putting anything to the shoulder. You merely need to develop a consistent cheek-weld, just like any other AR.
Old April 27, 2021, 10:17 AM   #53
dogtown tom

Quote:
rickyrick ......Long story short... I just don’t get the obsession with AR pistols with braces or the need for any kind of stock. You can shoot them just fine without putting anything to the shoulder. You merely need to develop a consistent cheek-weld, just like any other AR.
"just fine" isn't good enough for me. I want a stock because I shoot rifles better with a stock. And I'll bet most others do as well.

Remember, getting a consistent cheek weld on a AR tube depends quite a bit on the users size. A 5'6" guy is going to be far more comfortable than a 6'1" shooter.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 27, 2021, 10:30 AM   #54
Pistoler0

My friends are always cracking jokes about my Hi-Point carbine.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old April 27, 2021, 11:13 AM   #55
Pahoo

Your measure to make !!!

Again, staying on point; I have a hard time comprehending why some members of the firearm community, are so anti-AR and AK types. They are very open about bashing them. That's fine as they are entitled to their opinions. I ask them one question, would you support confiscation of this class of firearms. They actually hesitate and take time to answer. "Most" say they would not but surprisingly some say they would. I recall when Bill O'Riley in one of his shows, stated that these were "High-powered weapons of war" and had no place in private hands. ????

Be Safe !!!
Old April 27, 2021, 11:47 AM   #56
rickyrick

Quote:
just fine" isn't good enough for me. I want a stock because I shoot rifles better with a stock. And I'll bet most others do as well.

Remember, getting a consistent cheek weld on a AR tube depends quite a bit on the users size. A 5'6" guy is going to be far more comfortable than a 6'1" shooter.
I get your point on that, I can tell that many people don’t go through the trouble of finding sighting systems to fit them: sight height, proper eye relief and so on, but I imagine that some people just won’t be able to find an AR setup that fits them.

I’m average height, so I tend to forget that it is not as easy for some people to get comfortable with a gun like that.
Old April 27, 2021, 11:59 AM   #57
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
I recall when Bill O'Riley in one of his shows, stated that these were "High-powered weapons of war" and had no place in private hands. ????

Be Safe !!!
When people say this I remind them that the bolt action rifle is/was a "high power weapon of war" in WWI and WWII. And before that, so was the lever action.

And how about shotguns?

Many modern hunting rifles are civilian versions of a firearm that was initially developed for military use. Mauser action anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
I have a hard time comprehending why some members of the firearm community, are so anti-AR and AK types. They are very open about bashing them.
I also find it interesting how the Browning BAR or Ruger Mini-14 do not elicit such opposition.

Last edited by Pistoler0; April 27, 2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old April 27, 2021, 01:20 PM   #58
rickyrick

Quote:
Ruger Mini-14
I disagree lol.

I got ridiculed at the Walmart I purchased the Mini14 at.
Some gun-counter clinging civilian told me that it is only effective on small rodents with a “derherher!” even! “You should buy a real gun!”
Old April 29, 2021, 08:59 PM   #59
Southern Rebel

My old man didn't teach me everything I needed to know about life, but he did mention that the quickest way to get hurt was to make fun of another man's gun or his woman.

He said I didn't have to approve of either choice, but there was no sense in motivating another man to cause me harm.

Now, in keeping with full disclosure, I do own a Mossberg Shockwave. I don't know that the 4 ft. cottonmouth coming towards my little anchored boat last summer was ridiculing my gun, but his open mouth and likely intent to crawl into my boat with me was enough motivation for me to cause him harm!
Old April 30, 2021, 10:24 AM   #60
Pahoo

The devil is always, in the details !!!

Quote:
I also find it interesting how the Browning BAR or Ruger Mini-14 do not elicit such opposition.
May not be in their talking points but rest assured, it's on "their" list; along with others including the 10/22.!!!!

Be Safe !!!!
Old April 30, 2021, 11:35 AM   #61
HiBC

Quote:
"just fine" isn't good enough for me. I want a stock because I shoot rifles better with a stock. And I'll bet most others do as well.
I don't doubt that is true. No problem!! We agree!!

However,different tools for different tasks. If there is no wrist brace on an AR pistol,there is no need to quibble over it being a short barreled rifle. Its a pistol.

Its not a long range prairie dog gun. If you want a prairie dog RIFLE,you can build a pretty good AR-15 RIFLE.

Just for perspective,the military role for handgun is up to 50 yds on a man size target.
With a buffer tube spot weld,no brace, an AR pistol can easily tear up 50 yd man size targets.

If need be,that can easily be steadied up and stretched to 200 yds or so.
If the plan is shooting prairie dogs,even a fine $3500 custom Wilson 1911(Or the Glock of your choice) might not be the right tool. Its a rifle day.

As ranges get to 50 yds and beyond,it becomes less likely a true "self defense" scenario exists. Generally,for self defense,the 50yd capability is more relevant.
As the world exists today,a tool that will engage overwhelming odds at close range might be more useful than a tool good for destroying targets at 300 yds.
I fully accept that YOU have no interest in an AR pistol. Thats perfectly OK.
And I will not judge or ridicule YOUR firearms choices

I'm not a golfer,but I understand you don't ridicule a putter or # 9 iron because its not a good driver. Sand traps and putting greens are part of the game.

The Golf Pro will have all of them in his bag,and will use all of them.

And the young couple blissfully playing Putt-Putt on a Thursday night will think all the golf clubs but the putter are ridiculous.

Last edited by HiBC; April 30, 2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 1, 2021, 09:39 AM   #62
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
If there is any merit to being able to laugh at ourselves, which guns or related items do you find most ridiculous? i'll start with a few that I perceive as utterly meritless:
  1. Ruger Charger
  2. Mossberg Shockwave
  3. Mare's Laig
  4. Revolvers without barrels
  5. Bumpstocks, anyone?
This is just for fun, without the intent to offend anyone. I know there's a lot more that could be added, so what's on your list?
I'm not sure what most of those are but bump stocks? Myself I can see no use of any kind for them. From what I've read they are no more than a way around a full auto rifle and other than that I see no use for them. Our insistence on having them paint's a bad picture of all gun owners. I've never seen or even heard of a revolver without a barrel. Can't imagine the first use of one! I'm wondering if the other's on the list are the famous Black Rifles or AR's. Many insist they have a right to have them and I think they probably do. But a good deal of people are terrified by them and for myself I see no reason to get in their face and make a bad situation worse! No I don't own a black rifle and doubt I ever will! We have a laws in many places that allow us to carry handgun's openly. But those same areas, or most of them, require a license to carry concealed. Why is that? It's right back to thein your face deal with black rifles and bump stocks. There are people ignorant completely about all guns and we get in their face? How many bad guys carry a gun openly? My best guess is zero yet the good guy's get a license to carry concealed! I think for a lot of people these things paint a really bad picture of gun owners.
Old May 1, 2021, 06:10 PM   #63
bbqncigars

I will have to disagree with Scorch regarding "polymer ARs". My recently completed WWSD2020 build on a KP-15 lower assembly is 5#4oz (including Holosun) of black semi-auto goodness.
Old May 1, 2021, 07:28 PM   #64
Geezerbiker

Some people by things because it's something they want and logic doesn't factor in. I think that has to be most of the reason people buy those .45 Colt/.410 shotgun revolvers.

I was going to say something about really cheap handguns but sometimes, some people need something for self defense and that's the best they can afford.

Tony
Old May 2, 2021, 06:45 AM   #65
gaseousclay

Quote:
I have a hard time comprehending why some members of the firearm community, are so anti-AR and AK types. They are very open about bashing them. That's fine as they are entitled to their opinions.
I don’t get it either. For me it’s about function over form. If I’m in a self-defense scenario the AR platform is best suited for the job. To be fair, when I first got into guns about 11 yrs ago I had zero interest in AR’s or handguns. The riots changed all of that in an instant and now I can’t imagine not having one. I think for some it just takes time to evolve. I used to be a strictly wood stock guy and didn’t like anything that had polymer/metal, now I like both. Ymmv
Old May 2, 2021, 07:41 AM   #66
JohnKSa
Staff

I think it's important to distinguish between folks who see no point in certain designs and folks who are actually bashing them. Also to distinguish between folks who dislike (or don't care about) AR/AK pistols and folks who dislike AR/AK's in general.

For example, I don't dislike ARs or AKs at all. I own a couple of AK based firearms and have owned a number of AR based firearms over the years. The next rifle I buy will almost certainly be an AR based rifle.

But I don't have any interest in an AR/AK pistol, or really in any pistol that's basically a cut-down/modified rifle. There's just no niche that they fill for me. If someone gave me a bunch of them, I'd sell them or donate them or something to get rid of them without even shooting any of them. They interest me not a whit.

That doesn't mean I think they shouldn't exist or that they should be legally restricted, or that people who do like them are confused or worthy of ridicule, it's just that they do nothing for me personally. For what it's worth, I also don't make it a point to weigh in on every AR/AK pistol thread to re-iterate my opinion on the topic either--why would I go out of my way to talk about a product I don't care anything about?
Old May 2, 2021, 10:08 AM   #67
stinkeypete

Why talk about things I don’t care for? Because I am a small, opinionated, judgemental and mean spirited man. I enjoy sarcasm and good natured ribbing among friends. I can dish it out, and can take it in return.

For pete’s sake, I used to gather with buddies wearing cowboy hats and chaps, just to sit on a barrel with a cardboard pony head on it to shoot a period incorrect sixgun and play cowboy!

Who am I to say a 9mm sixgun is ridiculous? Yes, well, I used to own a conversion barrel that did just that... but imagine the look John Wayne’s character would give you when he tried to load your side iron! “Well, Pilgrim.. the metric system you say? How about you go get a French beret and a tutu before we set out.”

Paying $125 for a single shot 9mm pistol with a screw on breech that looks like a cheap soldering gun? (Altor). Sorry, It’s possible to still build something I’d be ashamed to own. A proper zip gun made from plumbing supplies has more panache.

Last edited by stinkeypete; May 2, 2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old May 2, 2021, 06:16 PM   #68
Urbanrecon

Quote:
But I don't have any interest in an AR/AK pistol, or really in any pistol that's basically a cut-down/modified rifle.
And you do what, John? Determine that by caliber?
Old May 2, 2021, 09:08 PM   #69
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
And you do what, John? Determine that by caliber?
I determine it just how I said. I don't have any use for a pistol that is basically a cut-down/modified version of a rifle. Doesn't have anything to do with caliber--I would include guns like the Ruger Charger (.22LR), or a "Mare's Leg" type lever gun which are typically pistol calibers, in addition to the AR/AK type, as well as bolt-action hunting pistols which are typically rifle calibers. That type of gun is just not something I have a use for or interest in.

If I want something that big, I'll just go ahead and go with a compact rifle. If I want a handgun, I want it to be a more conventional handgun design.

If you do have a use for AR/AK pistols and find them practical--or even if you just like them purely for fun, that's great. That doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't make me think any less of you or question your preferences or needs. But it doesn't change what I need or want.
Old May 2, 2021, 09:38 PM   #70
Geezerbiker

I had to look up Altor. I had not heard of them before. I can't say that a single shot self defense hand gun sounds like a good idea. It looks to me like a steam punk Harper's Ferry pistol...

Tony
Old May 2, 2021, 10:14 PM   #71
Hawg

Mossberg 464 SPX
Old May 3, 2021, 08:40 AM   #72
Baba Louie

Smart Guns that Aren't

"Smartguns" tied to authorized owner via electronical control concept.

Not to mention the companies that attempt to mfg them...

The others listed? Maybe a small smile (wry grin) or shake of head (w/ smile).

Smart Guns? Stupid Idea. Ridicule Us
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old May 4, 2021, 12:45 PM   #73
ss1/G8RFAN

All of those pot metal guns of the past that were chambered in .25 and .32. My friend kept a Raven .25 in his tackle box, and one day he took it out to dispatch a cottonmouth and it had corroded and locked up. Wouldn’t even make a useful anchor. I’m surprised I didn’t see HiPoint.....
Old May 4, 2021, 01:29 PM   #74
Sarge

The S&W 'SD' series pistols, mostly by people who never fired one.
Old May 4, 2021, 06:20 PM   #75
Kevin Rohrer

Anything made from recycled baby-bottles.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Closed Thread