The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 10, 2021, 12:41 PM   #1
Spats McGee
Staff

Shield Plus: A Paper-Pusher's Impressions

TLDR: It was a short test, but I think I will have a new carry gun as soon as I find spare mags.

First, I have a caveat, as I often do: I'm a middle-aged paper-pusher. I'm not a police officer, I'm not former military, I'm not a competitive shooter. Just a guy who carries a gun. Please take that into account in deciding how much weight to put into my review of the Shield Plus.

Second, I'm not ordinarily one to run out and buy the latest and greatest pistol. I'm generally not interested in being a beta tester and have always been perfectly happy with older, proven designs. With those things said, I've owned a Shield 1.0 since about August of 2017 (I think it was). As of this writing, I've carried that Shield for about 3.5 years and have somewhere around 750-800 rounds through it. It's been an absolutely fantastic carry gun, and 100% reliable. And that's precisely what I mean. That Shield 1.0 has fed, fired, and ejected every single round I've ever put through it. I've often said that my Shield "told my G19 to sit down and shut up... and she did." Anyway, I could never see enough difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 to justify the cost of upgrading, especially when my 1.0 ran so well.

Enter the Shield Plus.... I couldn't justify the upgrade to a 2.0, but then the Shield Plus came out with its 13 round mag. I thought, "Hold up a second. A Shield with an extra 5 rounds? With a pistol and two spare mags, I'd go from 25 rounds to 40? And my current holsters and mag pouches should still fit?" So I bought one and yes, I know that: (a) I paid the New Model Price; and (b) I might be a beta tester this time around. Still, I stopped at my LGS and they had the No Thumb Safety model, which was exactly what I wanted, at a reasonable price. Not dirt cheap, but reasonable. I took it to my gunsmith and had my night sights moved over from my Shield 1.0. (And FYI - it was a clean, perfect-fit swap.)

Ammo supplies being what they are, I knew I would probably not be able to replace what I shot up, at least not any time soon. Also, spare Shield Plus mags are currently made of unobtainium. A few days ago, I loaded up the magazines. The mags are not nearly as hard to load as regular Shield magazines. Yesterday, I field stripped it, blew some compressed air in it to get out any dust or manufacturing debris (of which I saw none), and put a drop of oil here and there.

I finally got out to a buddy's range today. I shot:
100 rounds of 124 grain Fiocchi FMJ - result: 100% fed, fired and ejected
50 rounds of 124 grain Speer Gold Dots - result: 100% fed, fired and ejected

The Shield Plus ran like a top right out of the box. I didn't take my 1.0 to shoot it side by side with the Plus, and maybe I should have. I'm no trigger snob, and I've never been bothered by the Shield trigger. With that said, the Shield Plus does not have a 1911 trigger and never will without aftermarket intervention. However, the trigger was certainly crisp enough for me.

My one and only possible complaint, and it's really a minor one: The new trigger design rubbed by trigger finger a little.
Old April 10, 2021, 01:15 PM   #2
makarov

How do you feel it compares to the Shield 1.0 and 2.0 in terms of concealability? It has a bigger grip right? My local shop has the 2.0 for $429 and the plus for $569. I’m leaning towards the 2.0 or a 43x... tough choice for me.
Old April 10, 2021, 01:30 PM   #3
peterg7

Great review.

I have read that the plus has a reversible mag catch could you confirm?

Love my Shield9 1.0 and Shield40 2.0 but if the plus can be set up like an M&P that would be tough for me to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 10, 2021, 01:44 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by makarov View Post
How do you feel it compares to the Shield 1.0 and 2.0 in terms of concealability? It has a bigger grip right? My local shop has the 2.0 for $429 and the plus for $569. I’m leaning towards the 2.0 or a 43x... tough choice for me.
It does have a slightly bigger grip, but I'm going to go with "no appreciable difference." The numbers say that the Plus is 0.15" wider, but with all of the other variables involved (height, weight, holster, etc.), I don't think the Plus is any more or less concealable than the 2.0.
Old April 10, 2021, 01:44 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg7 View Post
Great review.

Love my Shield9 1.0 and Shield40 2.0 but if the plus can be set up like an M&P that would be tough for me to pass up.

I can't confirm right now, but I'll take a look later this afternoon and see what I can figure out.

And thank you.
Old April 10, 2021, 03:29 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg7 View Post
Great review.

From page 46 of the Owner's Manual: "The magazine release can be installed to operate from the right or left side. To reverse the magazine release, follow these instructions:...."

Please accept my apologies to your bank account.
Old April 10, 2021, 04:02 PM   #7
peterg7

Thank you, yep you sealed the deal

Old April 10, 2021, 06:18 PM   #8
mk70ss

I am a retired LEO, former departmental firearms instructor, and SWAT rifle guy. But I am a big fan of carry the gun you will always carry, can shoot competently, and is as reliable as a gun can be. Congrats on finding such a gun. Good luck with it!!!
Old April 11, 2021, 09:24 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Thank you. I know the adage that carrying a gun should be comforting, but not necessarily comfortable. Nonetheless, ease of carry was a big factor in my first Shield replacing my G19. The fact that it actually outperformed the G19 made that decision even easier.
Old April 11, 2021, 05:57 PM   #10
dgludwig

Thanks for the nice review. But, if I'm not mistaken, the only reason you converted to the "Plus" from your Shield 1.0 is because of the extra magazine capacity. Don't get me wrong; if you're carrying a pistol concealed for self-defense and you can get virtually the same pistol in terms of size and weight but capable of carrying a significantly greater number of cartridges, I think it's a no-brainer and worth the extra cost. I went from a perfectly good SIG Model 220 to the Model 227 for the very same reason-and accepted the hit to my checking account cheerfully (well, almost ).
I'm just curious if having more bullets on board was the sole reason for the switch or if there are other advantages to the Plus when compared to the 1.0 that I'm unaware of and you are.

Last edited by dgludwig; April 11, 2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old April 11, 2021, 07:30 PM   #11
Forte S+W

Having only recently purchased a Smith & Wesson Performance Center M&P40 Shield 1.0 in January, I'm not looking to drop hundreds of dollars on an "upgrade" to the Shield PLUS.

Fortunately, they don't currently offer the Shield PLUS chambered in .40 S&W, nor may they ever bother to do so since the market has by and large moved away from the cartridge. Just as well, if I wanted my Shield to hold more ammo then I could always buy a Magguts Kit.
Old April 12, 2021, 06:20 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
Thanks for the nice review. But, if I'm not mistaken, the only reason you converted to the "Plus" from your Shield 1.0 is because of the extra magazine capacity..... I'm just curious if having more bullets on board was the sole reason for the switch or if there are other advantages to the Plus when compared to the 1.0 that I'm unaware of and you are.
I think that's a fair assessment. I mean, I'd love to sit here and say that I had a whole slew of great reasons for the switch, but it was really about capacity*. For me, going from 8-rounders to 13 rounders, with no other big changes was a bonus. And I knew before I bought it that I could increase the capacity of my 8-rounders to 10 rounds with some magguts. What I could not have done is increased them to 13 rounds. For me to increase capacity that much would have meant a new gun. Of course, switching guns (like to a Hellcat or P365) would have meant new holsters, etc.

As far as other differences: They're the same size (0.15" width difference), have the same finish on slide and barrel, have a negligible weight difference (0.4 oz, according to S&W), etc. As far as the trigger goes, I'll try to get them out side by side to see if it really makes a difference to me. I never had a problem with the trigger on the 1.0, so I don't think it will, but lots of shooters are more aware of trigger differences than I am.

(*= Only two men in history ever complained that they were carrying too much ammo. One was on fire and the other was trying to swim. )
Old April 12, 2021, 06:30 AM   #13
mpolk

The plus has a much better trigger than the 1.0 or the 2.0 adding to the capacity, it's a no brainer. The current trend in sales is pretty much doing away with new guns in 40. Don't get me wrong, 40 is a great caliber but advances in 9mm ammo have made it the dominant caliber of choice. 40 is just not selling well enough to justify new guns in this caliber especially in the micro and smaller carry gun class.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old April 12, 2021, 06:37 AM   #14
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
The plus has a much better trigger than the 1.0 or the 2.0 adding to the capacity, it's a no brainer. The current trend in sales is pretty much doing away with new guns in 40. Don't get me wrong, 40 is a great caliber but advances in 9mm ammo have made it the dominant caliber of choice. 40 is just not selling well enough to justify new guns in this caliber especially in the micro and smaller carry gun class.

Please define "Better Trigger".
Old April 12, 2021, 06:58 AM   #15
AzShooter

Wonderful write-up and good reasons for upgrading to the 2.0. I have the 1.0 and am very satisfied with it. The trigger is nicer than most of my other autos and I just carry with two extra magazines , so I don't feel that I need the extra rounds.

For self protection, if I don't get it done with 8 rounds I'm going to be hiding behind something and will have plenty of time to do a reload.
Old April 12, 2021, 08:03 AM   #16
mpolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
Please define "Better Trigger".
4 pound crisp break. Smooth take-up. It is an almost flat tigger with a wide center blade eliminating finger pinch.

Old April 12, 2021, 08:53 AM   #17
cslinger

Quote:
. I'm going to be hiding behind something and will have plenty of time to do a reload
I’ll wave to you as I run by you. You will know me by my war cry that sounds strangely like a little girl screaming.
Old April 15, 2021, 12:04 PM   #18
DarwinRTGparts

I ran into this gun at the local store a few days ago. I used to have the first version and liked it a lot. This version surprisingly didn't feel all that much different size wise, which was impressive. Dare I even say I thought it felt better, even with smaller hands? Well it did. Congrats on the new carry, and thanks for the info.
Old April 22, 2021, 07:13 PM   #19
claydoctor

Has anyone else noted that the new Shield Plus as well as the Standard Shield can be had with a longer slide and barrel if it is ordered with an optic. I also see on their site a new 9mm Plus Performance Center also has the longer slide but the one I just bought does not. Reviews I have read do not mention the two barrel lengths nor does S&W seem to go out of their way to mention it. Confusing .
Old April 23, 2021, 07:33 AM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

The Performance Center models have been available for some time. You can get the longer slide and barrel either optics-ready or not. I have the PC Shield 45, 4", no optic.
Old April 23, 2021, 08:27 AM   #21
claydoctor

I have three Performance Center models, this latest Plus as well as a 45 and a 40 PC in the 2.0 series. My 45 for some reason does not have slide ports? The latest American Rifleman has the Plus on the cover. The story inside does not mention a longer barrel. Too many variations and not well delineated by S&W.
Old April 23, 2021, 08:47 AM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

My PC Shield 45 doesn't have ports, either. I don't know about "too many," but there are certainly plenty of variations.
Old April 23, 2021, 09:05 AM   #23
claydoctor

I guess my point is the variations are not publicized enough. In all the stories and articles about the Plus, which by the way, I love, none mention the option of a longer slide and barrel
Old April 24, 2021, 01:35 AM   #24
Bart Noir

Guess I'm the only one who goes to the S&W company website and looks at the models listed.

They have a 4" Plus model plainly listed, with some combinations of barrel porting, reflex optic included, and thumb safety.

Yesterday I bought a Plus PC with the 3.1 barrel, ported, thumb safety. Won't be able to pick it up because WA state has its own local background check for pistols, to replace the more-or-less instant NICS check. So until week after next I don't actually have it and can't comment on it very much.

This new one comes with a very stiff thumb safety, especially when being moved up to put it "on safe". Today at the range I checked out somebody else's older Shield and the safety was much easier to move. I can see there will be a bunch of "safety on, safety off" movements while I watch TV, as I hope to wear it in enough to make it move easier.

Bart Noir
Who has seen not a single Plus mag for sale, in shops or online.
Old May 4, 2021, 02:04 PM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

In spite of only having 150 rounds through it, my Shield Plus became my EDC over the weekend. I emptied my 1.0 mags and loaded the Plus mags. Obviously, I would have preferred to have at least 2 more 13-rounders for carry, but those are still made of unobtainium as of this posting. I emailed S&W and they said it would be "a few more weeks" before Plus mags are available for sale (separate from pistols).

Equally obviously, I would have preferred to shoot it more before moving it up to EDC status, but time and ammo supplies being what they are these days, that could have taken a while. Nonetheless, the first 150 rounds went through without so much as a hiccup, so I feel pretty good about it. I'll shoot it more as my time and ammo stockpiles allow.

I have also come to realize that if this Shield performs as well as my 1.0 did, it could well be the last concealed carry pistol I ever buy. Between it, my Shield 45 (assuming I can get it "qualified for carry"), and my Ruger LCR, all of my carry needs are covered, and covered by pistols I really like.