The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 5, 2021, 07:54 AM   #26
Pistoler0

I LOVE IT that this thread is 20 years old!!

There might be TFL readers and posters that may not have been born when this thread was initially posted!!
Old May 5, 2021, 07:57 AM   #27
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_99 View Post
1) I assume he was unarmed because you can't take firearms to those viewing areas.

For kicks you ought to trip around Jellystone for a week. Hang around long enough and you'll see people doing some of the stupidest stuff around wild animals. I don't think it ever registers with them that these are really potentially dangerous animals. And yes, its mostly the result of the Disneyfication of society.
You CAN (nowadays) if you CONCEAL. No open carry allowed, though.
But I don't know if that was the case 21 years ago.

But yeah, watching the tourists in Jellystone is more entertaining than watching the wildlife.

Last edited by Pistoler0; May 5, 2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old May 5, 2021, 09:28 AM   #28
ghbucky

Someeeewhat related anecdote I heard about a long distance cyclist in I believe Southern CO:
He was setting up camp alongside a road in the dark and had the raised hackles feeling, he scanned around with his flashlight and 2 eyes lit up. He grabbed his bear spray and investigated to find a mountain lion watching him pretty fearlessly. So he sprayed it. The cat jumped a fence and turned around to watch him again. 2nd spray had it take off.

Needless to say, he decided not to camp there!
Old May 7, 2021, 03:38 AM   #29
RETG

It's 2:30AM MST
Humor...
[IMG][/IMG]
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old May 7, 2021, 09:23 AM   #30
ghbucky

hmmm. Pretty cool they got a grizzly trained to hold a guitar!
Old May 7, 2021, 01:13 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

and hold it LEFT HANDED!!
Old May 7, 2021, 01:54 PM   #32
Stiofan

Original thread had 4 posts, updated part has 27 posts. Maybe we're bored this year.
Old May 7, 2021, 04:33 PM   #33
Mainah

Quote:
Original thread had 4 posts, updated part has 27 posts. Maybe we're bored this year.
I think we should tread cautiously. My research indicates that for every 1 trillion posts about guns and bears there is an actual bear attack on a human.
Old May 14, 2021, 06:38 PM   #34
Desmosedici

Referring to Double Naught's post, the article referenced the man being killed by a polar bear. Can you imagine? Just seeing one of those beasts, even if far away, would strike significant fear in me. They are enormously intimidating creatures.

I suppose a .375 H & H would be your only hope in terms of a rifle against a polar bear?
Old May 15, 2021, 12:05 AM   #35
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Referring to Double Naught's post, the article referenced the man being killed by a polar bear. Can you imagine? Just seeing one of those beasts, even if far away, would strike significant fear in me. They are enormously intimidating creatures.

I suppose a .375 H & H would be your only hope in terms of a rifle against a polar bear?
I suppose a .375 H%H would do the job but I'd want a rifle that I'd almost fear the recoil as much as the bear. Maybe a .416 Hoffman or .448 Lott...

Fortunately I live far from grizzly habitat and I've only seen a black bear in the wild a couple times. Around here bating bears is a no-no and they say you may never see one otherwise.

Tony
Old May 15, 2021, 07:44 AM   #36
drive_sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
At least my Glock 9mm would accompany me. Sixteen rounds of 147g deep penetrating hollow points, under the firing pin. And an extra 17 rounds. Plus a very bright flashlight!

And never in a tent!

You won’t want hollow points, instead swap those out for some gas checked +p hardcasts. Those might punch through the dense bone and flesh and hit a necessary vital organ. Really a 10mm would be minimum. Glock model 40 with some hardcasts would be the minimum IMO. The long slide really tames the muzzle flip, and longer distance between sights equates to easier target acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 15, 2021, 09:57 PM   #37
Sodbuster

It should surprise no one that Griz can really shred a guitar.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old May 15, 2021, 10:56 PM   #38
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
You won’t want hollow points, instead swap those out for some gas checked +p hardcasts. Those might punch through the dense bone and flesh and hit a necessary vital organ.
I know this sounds like it makes logical sense, but I really have to question the basis for justifying such a claim. To my knowledge, there are no public medical records on the failures of handguns in defense against bears where it was noted that a failure to reach vital organs after hitting dense bone was a salient issue. I strongly doubt most folks actually understand the osteology well enough to know what bones are in contention for this issue and what bones are not.

The reason I mention this is not to pick on d_s, as the claim is not original to him. It is oft repeated, much like that of folklore. Does anyone even know if hardcast gas check 10mm or .40 cal bullets fired from a pistol even have the ability to the flesh and grizzly dense bone with enough energy to continue on to hit the necessary vital organs? Again, the body of literature on this topic, like the medical records of failures, appears to not exist.
Old May 16, 2021, 01:55 AM   #39
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post
It should surprise no one that Griz can really shred a guitar.
Dude, that was bad...

Tony
Old May 17, 2021, 11:32 AM   #40
ghbucky

Quote:
Dude, that was bad...
I could bearly stand it.
Old May 17, 2021, 11:52 AM   #41
HiBC

There is a northern settlement that gets a lot of polar bear traffic. It might be Churchill. I'm just vaguely recalling watching a documentary,maybe Nat Geo.

There was some bear/human conflict . A bear had to be dispatched.

As I recall,the rifle used by the Ranger was a 308. One shot did the job.

Don't get me wrong,I'd prefer a .375 H+H myself.

But with knowledge of anatomy,and precise shot placement.a proper bullet at moderate 2400 to 2600 fps only has to find a path to central nervous system.

I get it,in a sudden melee,thats easier said than done.

But in the context of a pro under semi controlled conditions,its not all about the "Big Gun"
Old May 17, 2021, 11:56 AM   #42
ghbucky

Here is the part where we get the obligatory:

World record polar bear for years was taken with a single shot 22 lr rifle by Bella Twin.
Old May 17, 2021, 12:15 PM   #43
HiBC

Well,ghbucky, I've had the experience of being in AK,200 river miles fromthe nearest road ,when in the early dawn hour my former spouse,in the tent beside me,woke me up with " Don't let the bear bite me again"

He took a chunk of her butt. I opened the tent door and his head was in the door. I hit him in the face.

He backed up for a little bit,but then he came again. He ignored a warning shot.
He was coming toward me. I had one hurt person and we were 200 river miles from the road.

This bear was not leaving,so I killed him. The airline did not let me fly with ammo so I bought generic 12 ga Foster slugs in Fairbanks,

It took two shots as the soft lead failed to penetrate when I took out his lower incisor teeth with it. Nose to tail he was 6 ft 6 in.

Thats my bear killing experience.

Now,how about YOURS ?
Old May 17, 2021, 12:47 PM   #44
ghbucky

HiBC, I have no bear experiences. I wasn't trying denigrate anybody's choices with dealing with bears, I was simply stating a historical fact.
Old May 17, 2021, 01:32 PM   #45
Moonglum

I bet more bears have been eaten by people than people have been eaten by bears
Old May 17, 2021, 03:53 PM   #46
Ed4032

HiBC. Wow that is one wild story to live and tell.