The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 31, 2021, 11:56 AM   #1
Stephen Hurst

M 77RS problem

I own a M77RS with extragal scope bases milled in the receiver. They are milled at a angle. Barrel looks north, scope looks northeast. I have no problem with drilling and taping the receiver. But what bases would I use. Yes that sounds very strange. Need help. Stephen
Old January 31, 2021, 03:49 PM   #2
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hurst View Post
I own a M77RS with extragal scope bases milled in the receiver. They are milled at a angle. Barrel looks north, scope looks northeast. I have no problem with drilling and taping the receiver. But what bases would I use. Yes that sounds very strange. Need help. Stephen
That's a weird one....I assume you are using other than ruger rings that might not have been furnished from wherever you got the rifle....

RS means rings and sights in the old Ruger Tang safety series, ST models had sights only and took the same bases as the Remington M700 which are easy to find. Rs are rings only, no sights, Ruger rings shipped with the rifle when new......I'm not sure about the MKIIs and there are other models of both Marks that may have different letter designations, like RL for Ultra Light, etc..

Are you sure it's the RS? If so it takes special Ruger rings that were usually provided by the factory when and if the rifle was purchased new.

Last edited by JJ45; January 31, 2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old January 31, 2021, 09:30 PM   #3
Stephen Hurst

Thank you for your help. I have tried different rings, I have talked to the factory. Ruger no longer works on M77’s at all, big zero. I am a retired machinist. The barreled action has been put on a Bridgeport mill and checked with dial indicators. Action has problems.
I need bases that are flat on bottom. A Marlin 336 base would work but way to short, tried it. Stephen
Old January 31, 2021, 11:01 PM   #4
Scorch

Couple of options:
1- get a set of Millett Angle-Loc rings for your M77, they are windage adjustable. I have never seen a receiver so far out of true that these rings could not fix. They use the factory base notches so no drilling is required.
2- get a set of Leupold gunsmith blank bases and machine them to fit your receiver.
3- get a length of Picatinny rail and machine it to fit your receiver. You can buy either steel or aluminum.

Last edited by Scorch; January 31, 2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old February 1, 2021, 10:42 AM   #5
Stephen Hurst

To Mr. Scorch

Thank you. Never heard of the leupold base blanks. They will work.
Old February 11, 2021, 01:18 AM   #6
bamaranger

Ruger rings

Wait......before you mod your rifle, have you tried different sets and combos of Ruger rings? I have a 77/22 that displayed the same issue, not enough windage adjustment in my scope to get zeroed. By experimenting with different sets/combos of Ruger rings, I eventually got the right mix and good to go.
Gun shop gossip indicates this is not a rare problem, essentially tolerance stack between rings and receivers.
Old February 11, 2021, 11:53 AM   #7
Jim Watson

You could spend a lot of time and money looking for rings crooked in the opposite direction.
Sounds like the Milletts are the way to go.

My crooked Winchester benefited from the Burris rings with offset insert set.
Old February 11, 2021, 01:09 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you're a machinist, you can machine crooked bases to fit the crooked mountings that will make the scope straight with boreline?

Me? I'd mill the top and then make custom bases.