The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 15, 2017, 03:25 PM   #1
gtrask

Archaeologist in Need of ID for Bullets/Slugs (1 of 3)

[This is the first of a series of three posts with several bullets I am trying to ID.]

I am an archaeologist working at a WWI training camp located in the California Bay Area. This camp was used during WWI and saw limited use during WWII and by sport/civilian shooters. So, most of these bullets should be U.S.-made rounds, either military or commercial, dating as early as the late 1800s to the present day.

I would like to know the caliber and approximate date range for each bullet. I realize that ID-ing/dating fragments of bullets is very difficult, but I'm just trying to get as close as possible to an estimated caliber and date. Let me know if you need additional specs or pics.

Photos of each bullet are at the end of this thread listed in sequential order (left to right, top to bottom). Go here for additional photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kk?usp=sharing

1. Bullet: lead, round-nose, flat base (small hole in center), two thin smooth grooves around base
-Diameter = .348-.355" (~9mm); length = .490"; weight = 112 grs.
-Guess = .380 ACP (9mm Browning Short), .380 Extra Short, 9mm pistol round?

2. Bullet frag: non-magnetic (probably cupro-nickel or gilding metal) jacket, recessed and enclosed base, partitioned/semi-jacket nose?
-Diameter = .307-.312 (~7.90mm), length = .365+", 60+grs.
-Guess = .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .30 Carbine M1?

3. Bullet: lead, round-nose(?), flat base, two smooth groves around base
-Diameter (base band) = .448-.456” (~11.5mm); length = .584”; weight = 209 grs.
-Guess: .45 revolver of some kind?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0544.jpg (66.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0551.jpg (76.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0574.jpg (77.0 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by gtrask; February 16, 2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old February 15, 2017, 05:38 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

A mention of roughly where the sites are would help eliminate some possibilities as likely, or not.

For example, if the site is in Arizona (for instance) odds of finding a rare European military bullet are small, though not impossible...
Old February 15, 2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Jim Watson

If I could see the pictures on this board along with the descriptions, instead of having to flip flop to get all the information, I would give it a go.
Old February 16, 2017, 12:26 PM   #4
gtrask

44 AMP - Site Loaction

I forgot to mention that these are from a WWI training camp in the California Bay Area, which was used to a more limited extent during WWII and by sport/civilian shooters.
Old February 16, 2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Jim Watson

No 1 I am thinking .38 Short Colt.
No 2 I don't know, open base jacket but mashed in nose. Cut nose dum dum or drilled hollowpoint in .30 Carbine MAYBE. Old .32 hollow or soft point.
No 3 Agree .45 Revolver, maybe .45 "Long" Colt 1873.

I was able to look at pictures on iPad, descriptions on PC. Phew.

Last edited by Jim Watson; February 16, 2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old February 16, 2017, 06:34 PM   #6
gtrask

Thanks Jim

Thanks again for your help Jim. Sorry for the awkward post. I am new to this and am having difficulties figuring out how to post images inline with the text. I appreciate it.
Old February 17, 2017, 09:29 AM   #7
kraigwy

I don't know if you are talking just those three bullets or others as well.

There is a young lady that works for the Wyoming State Crime Lab that can problem help you.

While working on her Thesis for her Masters in Forensic Firearm Investigation at Syracuse University she traveled throughout the west, checking battle grounds and museums in an attempt to match bullets found at one battle site to others (she found bullets from 4 different battle sights that show the same rifle was used in all 4, ending up at Little Big Horn.

She's done a lot of investigations and studies of the old pre-WWI bullets used through out the west.

She's a very bright young lady and I'm betting she could help you in your studies.

Contact "Casey" at the Wyoming Firearms Crime Lab.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 17, 2017, 01:15 PM   #8
gtrask

Kraigwy:

Kraigwy,

I think I actually will try and contact Casey. Thanks for the tip! It's much appreciated.

Garrett
Old February 18, 2017, 08:59 PM   #9
Tom-R2

Kraigwy, do you know anything more about Casey's thesis? It sounds like an interesting read.
Old February 19, 2017, 11:19 AM   #10
kraigwy

Quote:
Kraigwy, do you know anything more about Casey's thesis? It sounds like an interesting read.
She was suppose to give me a copy, I'll check again next time she's in town.

She owes me anyway, her mother is one of our county commissioners and she is the one to got me (drafted me) to conduct the Women's Shooting Class for the county, which turned out to be a full time, no pay job.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Tags
.45 colt , identification , military