The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 21, 2012, 09:46 PM   #1
scottycoyote

looking for a rangefinder, input?

im looking for a good laser rangefinder that would only be used at distances out to 100 yards maximum, mostly for bowhunting and hunting with rimfires or air rifles. Anybody have any recommendations for something like that?
Old September 22, 2012, 12:04 PM   #2
603Country

For just 100 yards, the lower end Nikon or Bushnell would do just fine. Be advised, however, that the advertised range (say a Nikon 800) is for ideal conditions and my Nikon rangefinder is often limited to roughly half of the advertised range. That may not hold true for the top of the line Leica or Swaro, but that's info that I don't have. I mention this because you may someday want to range out further than 100 or 300 yards.
Old September 22, 2012, 04:20 PM   #3
scottycoyote

i want something that wont break the bank. I picked up the latest field and stream and there is an artice on rangers under 200, the bushnell chuck adams edition was there top pick, anyone have input on that rangefinder or have a better suggestion?
Old September 24, 2012, 11:44 PM   #4
bman940

Rangefinder

I know you said only to 100 yards but I think if you are using a rifle, even a 22, you'll eventually want to know the distance of something a bit further.
Nikon has a $30 instant rebate going on right now for their PROSTAFF 3 and 5 Rangefinder's. I think the promo only lasts a few more days , so check out an Authorized Nikon dealer to take advantage of this offer if it's something you are interested in.

Hope this helps?