The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 22, 2019, 01:40 AM   #26
veprdude

So far the removable parts that I've cleaned with gasoline show no signs of distress and scrubbing with a toothbrush seems to have worked well. I may try cleaning the rest of it with gasoline.

The reason I chose gasoline first is because there are a lot of plastic parts (think fuel pumps) submerged that do not deteriorate. Also it's cheap to soak larger items. Not sure what kind of plastic polymer guns are made of but I know ABS plastic does not like acetone.

And yes, I did the cleaning outside. I'll post the end results.
Old October 22, 2019, 09:51 AM   #27
tipoc

More cowbell!

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old October 22, 2019, 10:00 AM   #28
davidsog

Cerakote it.
Old October 22, 2019, 12:44 PM   #29
T. O'Heir

Under no circumstances should an rotary tool, Dremel brand included, be anywhere near a firearm.
I'd be inclined to just paint over the red. However, if you opt for a solvent, try it on the inside of the panel with the VP on it first. A bit of emery cloth will work too, but it will scratch the polymer.
Old October 22, 2019, 01:45 PM   #30
AK103K

As long as the paint isnt something permanent, like Aluma Hyde II, or something similar (Krylon "Fusion" might also be an issue with the polymers), Gun Scrubber, Hoppes, or a similar solvent, along with a toothbrush, or similar, thats on the stiffer side, should get most of it off pretty quickly. Dental type picks, patches, Q Tips, etc, are some other items that will make things easier.

It will likely take a little work, but from my experience, it will come off, and come off completely.

Your best results are going to be if you strip the frame and clean it, and the individual parts, separately. I think that will make things easier and will give you a better job.
Old October 22, 2019, 05:51 PM   #31
ThomasT

I would use mineral spirits to try and remove the paint. It will not hurt plastic. I used to do home repairs and used several different solvents to clean up new construction.

What I found is that if the solvent has a warm feel on your fingers it is safe for plastics. But if the solvent feels cold it will melt the surface of the plastic. To see what I mean put a little acetone on your hand. It will feel cold. Mineral spirits has a warm or "not cold" feel to it. Good luck.
Old October 22, 2019, 11:33 PM   #32
veprdude

So I finished removing the red paint tonight. Had good luck with gasoline on the removable parts and it was available and free. Afterwards I washed the parts with dish detergent. As expected the parts with surface wear appeared lighter and "dry" looking once the gas was stripped off. Most of this was from the pawn shop manager removing the red paint with some kind of abrasive. I think if I had removed all the red paint, there would not be the apparent surface wear.

Old October 22, 2019, 11:40 PM   #33
veprdude

Rubbed the frame down with Hoppes 9, which is what I usually use to clean powder residue during cleaning. It brought some of the plastic luster back. I'm going to let the parts air dry over night and hope reassembly isn't a nightmare.

Old October 23, 2019, 01:26 AM   #34
veprdude

Good disassembly/assembly video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E63SfM5JXMs
Old October 23, 2019, 07:16 AM   #35
AK103K

Looks good!

And youre right, its a shame someone else tried something abrasive on it, or you likely wouldnt know it had been painted.

Paint is actually a good finish protector for hard use guns. Ive stripped guns I used for hunting and general work/truck use after 25 years of being painted, and the only spots that showed wear on the finish, and the wear was very minor too, was where the paint wore off from handling. Other than that, the bluing and wood looked new.
Old October 23, 2019, 11:38 AM   #36
Spats McGee
Staff

Excellent job. It looks much, MUCH better!
Old October 23, 2019, 03:36 PM   #37
veprdude

Got it reassembled. First time taking apart a striker fired pistol. Off to the range soon.

Old October 23, 2019, 09:05 PM   #38
zoo

Looks great! I'd still try the denatured alcohol on the remaining paint around the trigger.
Old October 27, 2019, 12:38 PM   #39
ThomasT

If the dry looking areas come back you might try to Armorall the gun. Be sure and hold on to it when you shoot it though.
Old October 27, 2019, 01:59 PM   #40
Spats McGee
Staff

veprdude, I'm impressed at how well that came out.
Old October 27, 2019, 02:02 PM   #41
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
veprdude, I'm impressed at how well that came out.
I gotta agree. I had my doubts.
Old October 30, 2019, 06:47 AM   #42
shurshot

Nice job! Looks great.