The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 16, 2019, 07:53 PM   #51
dogtown tom

Quote:
shurshot HIBC, I thought about a replacement, but I'm trying to be fair to everyone and this dealer primarily deals in tactical type weapons, I suspect a Colt SAA may sit on the shelf for along time.
What he primarily deals in is not your problem, but his. If a dealer damages a customers gun while in his possession its his responsibility to make it right....and thats provoding you with the gun you bought.

Quote:
This Colt was from Lew Horton distributors, whom if some of you haven't heard, is going out of buisness soon (I heard this from a very reliable source).
Colt can tell you what other distributors received the same model. Lew Horton can tell you what other dealers received that specific model from LH.

Quote:
This is MY Colt Peacemaker. I don't want another one. I want THIS one... refurbished to the exact condition it was before Mr. Potato head frigged it all up .
How in the world are you this emotionally attached to THIS gun?
It CAN'T be refurbished to uncocked/undry fired/unwhatever. It will always be a repaired gun.

Quote:
All I want is for them to accept responsibility and to be compensated for the reblued cylinder and any hammer sear / finish damage not covered by warranty. I think that is more than fair and I have a strong hunch the Judge will agree with me if the Dealer insists on allowing this to go to small claims court... which will end up costing them FAR more than if they did the right thing now.
What happens when the judge orders that the dealer pay you the retail price and the dealer gets to keep the gun?

Quote:
She is back with Colt now, safe and sound, awaiting her makeover. The BBB contacted the dealer yesterday. No response yet. I'm an optimist... things will work out and I'll be compensated, either now or in the future.
Who sent the gun to Colt?

Quote:
She will return to me sooner or later. My heart will remain true and steadfast. No one can take her place. Sure, there are others, but they are just guns. She is MY Colt Peacemaker.
Oh good grief. This isn't Jesse James' 1911 or John Dillinger Hi Power.....its a recent production Colt SAA.......one of hundreds if not thousands are identical and exactly like IT.

Quote:
There can be only one.
No, there can be hundreds if not thousands.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 16, 2019, 08:11 PM   #52
shurshot

[B][I]"Oh good grief. This isn't Jesse James' 1911"

I learn something new every day. I thought he was killed in 1882??

No, the Colt didn't belong to either James or Dillinger, pertaining to THAT statement, you are indeed correct.
It's mine.

"its a recent production Colt SAA.......one of hundreds if not thousands are identical and exactly like IT". 

Thanks for educating me on new Colt SAA's, all this time I thought the case hardened colors and patterns were different and unique on each individual gun. Again, I learned something...

Other questions were already covered in previous posts.

Last edited by shurshot; October 17, 2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old October 17, 2019, 11:54 PM   #53
44 AMP
Staff

The reasons don't matter the heart wants what it wants. If he's in love with his Colt, then he's in love with his Colt. You and I may see only a current production (even if "semi custom") and see thousands just like it, but he look on it with eyes of love, and a moron disfigured his love for no reason.

No, its not Dillinger's Hi Power nor John the Baptists Mannlicher, but its special to him, let him have his love. So few of us get ours.
Old October 19, 2019, 11:20 AM   #54
Mainah

Quote:
Nope, not Kittery, nor Howell's either.
Howell's is a fantastic shop.
Old October 19, 2019, 03:31 PM   #55
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post
This is MY Colt Peacemaker. I don't want another one. I want THIS one... refurbished to the exact condition it was before Mr. Potato head frigged it all up .

She is back with Colt now, safe and sound, awaiting her makeover. The BBB contacted the dealer yesterday. No response yet. I'm an optimist... things will work out and I'll be compensated, either now or in the future.

She will return to me sooner or later. My heart will remain true and steadfast. No one can take her place. Sure, there are others, but they are just guns. She is MY Colt Peacemaker.

There can be only one.
Iffin I wanted a perfect gun and the dealer buggered it up before I took possession, I guarantee you, I would not have taken possession. I would have refused the gun and fought any and all charges to my credit card first, long before I accepted something I didn't want. Yes, they do make more, and I would have wanted a different one, because, even tho it might be refurbished, it still would be a refurbished gun and not original anymore. No different than ordering a new car and having the dealer dinge up the front fender taking it off the truck. Sorry, not new and not original anymore. If all you really want is a gun that looks factory new, without it being original then I guess you'll be fine with it.
Old October 19, 2019, 06:07 PM   #56
shurshot

Buck, I was in the same frame of thought initially, but I changed my mind after talking with Colt. The dealer has burned me, I was stuck either way. As the gun was / is still new, unfired, now that Colt has it and will resprinkle Blue dome magic dust on it, as far as I am concerned I WILL still be getting a "new" gun. I know what you mean, no it won't be the same as it was... that punk clerk ruined that. But, I'll have at the very least, a beautiful, classic .45 Colt six shooter. Perhaps it will become my new truck gun and I'll just get another (in .44-40 with Stag grips!!) and have it sent to a reputable FFL next time.

My choice was either refuse it and be charged $212, or accept it and get it refinished and take legal action against the gunshop here in Maine, as the owner is responsible for his policy and moronic and rude employee. Whatever isn't covered under Warranty, I'll seek out in small claims court and ensure everyone knows the outcome and name of the gunshop.

The Authorized Colt dealer in Florida is now refusing to deal with these idiots again. Gunbroker will be notified as well of the Maine FFL dealer and what they did and how their lack of buisness ethics.

Mainah, I SHOULD have gone through Howells, it's only a 20 min further drive. Live and learn.

Last edited by shurshot; October 19, 2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old October 20, 2019, 06:47 AM   #57
USNRet93

Quote:
as I was planning on putting it away, unturned, uncocked, in the safe for a few decades to pass on or sell.
I certainly understand your plight. You bought an unturned, un-used pistol, wanted to keep it that way..and the dunce clerk gooned it up.

BUT..ya know, it's wonderful to look at, hold and admire any handgun but the real pleasure of owning any gun, IMHO, is shooting it. Including this Colt, which I think would be a blast to shoot..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old October 20, 2019, 08:21 AM   #58
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93
BUT..ya know, it's wonderful to look at, hold and admire any handgun but the real pleasure of owning any gun, IMHO, is shooting it. Including this Colt, which I think would be a blast to shoot..
"Different strokes for different folks."

"To each his own."

Choose your own aphorism. Shooters buy firearms to shoot. Collectors buy firearms to look at and to admire. Most of my guns are shooters, I own one that I have not shot and probably will never shoot, and for me the most pleasure I get out of the whole thing is tinkering with them on the workbench.
Jeepaholic
Old October 21, 2019, 12:08 PM   #59
Lavan

Small claims MAY be the way to go. But find the judge who will understand how a ....line.... on a cylinder can be enough damage to find in your favor.

They may make a partial claim or something.

In another vein, I had a SAA with ZERO finish refinished at Colt.

It was indistinguishable from a NEW gun!

and the one I sent to them had VERY light lettering.

Ah well....
Old October 21, 2019, 01:30 PM   #60
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavan
Small claims MAY be the way to go. But find the judge who will understand how a ....line.... on a cylinder can be enough damage to find in your favor.
A couple of affidavits from other dealers or appraisers will handle that. The judge doesn't need to understand what causes the line, or why or how it affects the value. All he/she needs to know is that it shouldn't be there, and that it does lower the value.
Jeepaholic
Old October 21, 2019, 08:33 PM   #61
Road_Clam

Once again, exactly why I will NEVER, EVER buy anything off Gunstroker, especially something of "collector grade" . Way too much risk both directly, and in the above stated case, "indirectly" .
Old October 23, 2019, 07:53 AM   #62
Skans

Sell the one that was damaged. Buy a new replacement identical gun. Sue for the difference. Easy enough to present that in court. But, if you don't sell the damaged one, it is hard to quantify your damages in small claims court.
Old October 23, 2019, 08:40 AM   #63
buck460XVR

Quote:
The dealer has burned me, I was stuck either way.
I don't see how the dealer could have "burned" you if you refused the gun. Maybe I don't know the whole story, but, iffin you walked into an agreement to buy the gun without an inspection period, IMHO, you burned yourself. Sorry regardless of what the other dealer from Florida promised you, I still would have wanted an inspection period and a guarantee the gun was going to be as promised once it hit my hands.

Whenever I go thru a FFL because of an online buy, I always contact the receiving FFL with all my contacts and with instructions of when and how I will pick it up. That way I feel better about not getting burned by the FFL test firing the gun before I get to. Yes, I have had that happen in the past.

Quote:
Perhaps it will become my new truck gun and I'll just get another (in .44-40 with Stag grips!!) and have it sent to a reputable FFL next time.
Then all of this is for naught?

Quote:

My choice was either refuse it and be charged $212, or accept it and get it refinished and take legal action against the gunshop here in Maine.
I do not see it that way. $212 is outrageous for shipping a handgun FFL to FFL. Seems you were a little singed before the Maine dealer got it. If paid by CC, you could have fought the charge or at least bartered it down. If the Maine dealer buggered the gun and you didn't take possession, I would assume he would have to take possession since I'm sure the Florida dealer would not want it back(at least I would hope so). His gun, his cost.

Ain't trying to dis you. I'm sure you are frustrated by this experience and I'm sure you have learned something. We all have been thru similar situations in the past. Comes down to, you don't give anyone your trust till they deserve it. Same goes for your money. If you are willing to pay up front without real assurance, you are asking to get burned.
Old October 23, 2019, 09:15 AM   #64
shurshot

"I don't see how the dealer could have "burned" you if you refused the gun. Maybe I don't know the whole story,"

Buck, I thought I articulated the scenario pretty well. Did you read everything Previously posted? Ok, one more time...

The Florida dealer sent me a BRAND NEW, MINT GUN. It shouldn't require an inspection period! The Maine dealer recklessly damaged it. The Maine dealer "Burned" me as they refused to pay for the cylinder to be reblued after their employee damaged it and were going to return the damaged gun to the Florida dealer, who would then be stuck with shipping and repair costs, a portion of which would be charged to me ($212). Not fair to me or the Florida dealer. Therefore after calling the Colt Custom shop and the Florida dealer, 3 days later I picked up the gun and returned it to Colt, as the Maine dealer is clearly liable for repair costs. Colts warranty, although pretty good, doesn't cover rebluing cylinders damaged by nimrods.
Sure, I could have refused the gun and disputed the CC charges, probably would win too. But would that be right, to stick the Florida dealer, an Authorized Colt dealer, who acted in good faith, with shipping, insurance and repair costs?? Why should a Florida dealer, or me, have to pay for some ignorant Maine gun store clerks mistake???
I think not. Some would, but I don't think that way. Fair is fair. The Maine dealer is responsible for the damage, not Florida.

"Then all this for naught"?

No. At this point, it's about accountability and doing the right thing. When I make a mistake I own it. It's how I was raised. If the Maine dealer refuses to do the right thing, eventually a Judge will hear the case and I'll accept their decision either way. Pretty sure I got this one though.

And, since when is one Colt single action revolver enough?? Only thing better than a Colt SAA in the truck, is a second one in the safe.

Last edited by shurshot; October 23, 2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old October 23, 2019, 12:11 PM   #65
shurshot

Update; BBB just reached out to me... the Maine dealer responded to my complaint and although they still are trying to shift the blame, they agreed they will make things right... check will be mailed out. Sounds good to me, therefore no need to name them here or go to Court. I won't ever use them for transfers again, but hopefully they will train their staff better so future customers don't have to go through this like I did.
Nice to see they finally stepped up and are doing the right thing. Too bad I had to complain to the BBB to get a response.
Thank you all for the comments and support!

Last edited by shurshot; October 23, 2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old October 23, 2019, 12:50 PM   #66
hub1home

Wow! I am very glad to hear this! I think that the dealer has learned a lesson. I hope Colt does a good job for you. Please post a picture(s) when you get the gun returned from Colt. Also, if you don't mind, could you let us know what Colt charges you for what they did.
Old October 23, 2019, 01:17 PM   #67
Blindstitch

Don't count your chickens... Wait for the finished product.

Not the same but my mom slipped and fell on ice leaving a sporting goods store a few years ago. The manager, store, everyone said they were going to pay and just forward the bills to the store. My mom was out of work for a few months recovering and was only looking for the hospital bills being covered. The store said yeah we got it and don't pay the bills when the hospital calls. This went on for almost a year till 3 departments of the hospital sent my mom to collections. My mom got a lawyer and everything was solved in 2 weeks but her credit is ruined.

Make sure to update us when you have product in hand and the bill is paid by the other.
Old October 23, 2019, 01:20 PM   #68
shurshot

Colt already advised somewhere between $2-$300 for the cylinder... Warranty only covers hammer sear and any corrosion issues on the case hardened frame (when I picked the gun up, it hadn't been wiped down for at least 3 days after the clerk played with it, finish was cloudy, fine corrosion had started). I'll definitely try to post pics (never much luck doing that before), once I get her back. Might be early 2020 though, that custom shop is pretty busy from what they tell me.
I'll definitely keep the forum posted pertaining to the checks arrival (?) and the guns return. I have great faith in Colt though, I know she will shine when I open that box. No doubts there.

Last edited by shurshot; October 23, 2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old October 25, 2019, 09:49 AM   #69
shafter

I'm not a lawyer, but I imagine that if you get a liberal judge, which is likely in southern Maine, the gun shop owner will make a big show of the "safety check". To someone who doesn't know anything about single action revolvers this sounds like a wise precaution to avoid passing on a potentially loaded firearm to a customer. I would utilize an expert witness if possible if you end up going to court. Good luck to you. It's a shame that had to happen to a great old revolver.
Old October 25, 2019, 11:45 AM   #70
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
... will make a big show of the "safety check". To someone who doesn't know anything about single action revolvers this sounds like a wise precaution to avoid passing on a potentially loaded firearm to a customer.
OK, fine, don't dispute that. But explain it this way, suppose you bought a new Rolls Royce and the dealer did a "safety check" to make sure the brakes worked...

and during that safety check the dealer (employee) scratched the paint or cracked the window, and you're now in court because the dealer doesn't want to pay to fix the damage his people did.

Alternately, sticking with automobiles, suppose you bought a rare, low mileage car from a guy in Florida, and it states the odometer reads 17 miles, but when you pick it up from the dealer in Maine you had it shipped to, it now reads 1,897 miles has chipped paint from road gravel etc., because the dealer's staff did a "safety check" and had fun driving it around for a week before declaring it "fit" and passing it on to the customer.

IN a way this is like having the King's man sleep with your betrothed to ensure she WAS a virgin...
Old October 25, 2019, 11:47 AM   #71
shurshot

Shafter,
Even if the gunshop had to "safety check" the weapon as they claim, if done properly (fully cocking the gun before lowering the hammer... NEVER lowering it from half cock!), it, the cylinder bolt stop, would NOT have scratched the cylinder, removed bluing and left turn marks.

The clerk damaged it by lowering it from the half cock, he admitted this to me. When he said he cut the zip tie, I asked him if he cocked it. "I didn't cock it all the way" was his reply!!! Several times too, as there were numerous turn mark's. He played with the gun and damaged it, then denied it, lied, gave me attitude, insinuated I didn't know what I was talking about, said he had more experience with single actions than I did, blamed others, including the Colt Custom shop, etc. He was a real Tool.

I have an Uberti El Patron (almost identical to the Colt SAA), I bought at the same shop last summer. Not sure who "safety checked" it (most likely not the same clerk), but it was not mishandled as the cylinder was perfect. I have since shot the Uberti, dry fired it with snap caps, worked the action, carried it in an IWB holster, etc. The cylinder still looks new... ZERO turn mark's. But, I always FULLY cock it before lowering the hammer.

Had the clerk apologized on the spot and accepted responsibility for the damage, I might have respected him for being a man and owning his mistake, educated him on single actions and just kept the gun. We all make mistakes, but admitting them and taking responsibility for them is essential, as well as a sign of maturity.

Unfortunately for the store manager, his coworkers, store owner and myself, he REFUSED to act like a Man and was a complete horse's gluteus maximus. He not only pissed me off, but he tarnished the stores reputation, they lost a repeat customer (8th gun i have bought through them in about 2 years!), and cost the owner money and some negative publicity with a complaint filed with the BBB. If I were the owner, I would have a help wanted sign on the front door.

Attitude is everything in life.

Last edited by shurshot; October 25, 2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old October 25, 2019, 12:05 PM   #72
shafter

I agree with you guys. The damage shouldn't be there and the shop should be responsible for it. I'm just speculating how it would go in court which is moot at this point since it appears the gun shop is going to make it right.
Old October 25, 2019, 12:14 PM   #73
shurshot

44AMP "IN a way this is like having the King's man sleep with your betrothed to ensure she WAS a virgin..."

Ok, that made me spit out my coffee!!!

Truth is, had that Clerk slept with my ex, I would have been FAR less upset than I was over how he damaged my new Colt!!

You just don't monkey around with a man's new Thumb Buster! Unforgivable!!!
Old October 25, 2019, 01:15 PM   #74
Sevens

Regardless of the end resolution... this shop’s actions thus far say clearly that there exists absolutely no reason whatsoever not to name them. Their name and address should be clearly listed even if their ultimate resolution is two give you two NIB Colt SAA’s in hermetically sealed bags, untouched by human hands AND a new roof for the guy earlier in the discussion with his tale of woe.

I can’t think of even a fraction of a reason that the shop shouldn’t be named clearly.

If you have presented this situation as the facts as best as you recall, these guys stink and maybe this thread withers away and only the 40 of us reading ever find out, but there is no reason whatsoever that you shouldn’t name them and we can collectively agree to fart in their general direction.
Old October 25, 2019, 02:09 PM   #75
shurshot

Sevens,
I have to be objective here. I have purchased 7 other guns via this dealer in recent years PRIOR to this happening, and was happy with every one of those transactions. The Manager and other employees are stand up guys, highly knowledgeable and professional. ONE guy stinks and caused trouble for everyone, and the owner dragged his feet in responding, hence my complaint to the BBB. At this point the shop states they intend to fix the situation and send me a check, which was all I wanted to begin with. I'll give them the respect and opportunity to do that.

As far as the employee, I don't know if he was spoken too, had his pay docked or was fired, I have no idea, nor do I care. He could be related to the owner somehow, hence his cocky attitude and big mouth. He is lucky I don't run that shop, as he would have already been fired, not for scratching the cylinder, but for his bad attitude, lies and arrogance after the fact. Not my monkey, nor my circus. I'm not going back as I don't want to see his face. Rest of the crew seemed like like pretty solid, stand up gun guys. I will miss dealing with them.

As long as they follow through and pay me, I feel there is no need to name them. As I said, 7 other positive transactions through them and I enjoyed going there, as did my teenage son. Perhaps they will train the clerk in question better and work on his attitude, or possibly fire him. I suspect the owner disliked the BBB complaint I filed and will NOT like cutting me a check, hence the delay in their response. Pretty sure they will be more cautious in the future when handling other people's property via FFL transfers.

I do appreciate your support and that of everyone else on here, support, advice, questions, criticism, etc! If I don't get a check, I'll out them and you guys can FART AWAY!

Last edited by shurshot; October 25, 2019 at 03:33 PM.
Closed Thread