The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2015, 12:07 AM   #1
BoogieMan

COAL range

Today I was loading 460s&w with my load master in single stage mode.
Min coal is 2.160 with 300gr xtp mag and w296. I can't remember if I had this problem in the last batch. But today I was ranging between. 2.164 and 2.171. I figure I'm safe. But, how does this effect accuracy. I weigh every load with this cartridge because I feel like it's on the edge to begin with. I also use the mid range from the book and have sighted in at 100yds with 40gr. Does .007 have much of an effect? Is this due to inconsistency in the bullet ogive or flex in the press or something else? I also tend to see the witness mark/swell from the bullet when seating.
Mixed Hornady and federal brass.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 21, 2015, 12:15 AM   #2
Sevens

The fact that you are mixing brass will likely give you more variance than sligjt COAL differences. In a tiny little cartridge case, variances in COAL matter far more. The .460 is gargantuan and won't notice the difference.
Old November 21, 2015, 01:09 AM   #3
Jim243

Quote:
Is this due to inconsistency in the bullet ogive or flex in the press or something else?
Something else. See if you can lock your seating die down a little more. Your problem is during your crimp of this cartage. You could do the crimp as a separate step and lose the variance from case to case. That is assuming you have trimmed each case to the same dimensions.

Good luck.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; November 21, 2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old November 21, 2015, 07:31 AM   #4
PA-Joe

I would also measure some of the bullets. I bet they vary about that much in their overall length.
Old November 21, 2015, 07:32 AM   #5
BoogieMan

Jim- the crimp sounds like a logical issue. I will try seating then crimping. The mixed brass doesn't crimp the same.
I am going to pull that die and move over to the single stage along with splitting the crimp and seating steps.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown