The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 11, 2018, 08:43 AM   #1
Carmady

LC9 (non-s) triggers...all the same, and like the LC380?

Was there more than one type of trigger on the LC9 hammer fired pistols, and, are they the same as the LC380 trigger?

Reviews and comments suggest differences.

Compared to a LCP Gen 2 trigger, I find the LC380 trigger to be longer and lighter. And that's only comparing one of each.

I suspect more people have fired the LC9 than the LC380, and was wondering if all LC9 triggers were about the same.
Old August 13, 2018, 12:41 AM   #2
NAW

The original LC9 trigger was heavy, long, and didnt let you know when it was going to break. It was a horrible trigger. I sold mine. I dont know of any other factory trigger options for the origional hammer fired version.
Old August 13, 2018, 06:04 AM   #3
cocojo

I have an lc9 and I prefer the trigger over the lc9s version. The lc9s striker trigger is way too light for a hideout pistol. I also like the trigger on my bodyguard smith and most dont. This generation of new shooters have been spoiled with light striker firing guns and never learned how to shoot a 12 lb trigger of revolvers of the past. Lc9 is about 7 lb trigger which is great weight for a hideout gun thats pointing at your groin with an appendix style carry. Galway Precision makes great triggers for these guns. They are a bit shorter stroking but same pull weight.
Old August 13, 2018, 10:12 AM   #4
SGW Gunsmith

This is my "summer apparel" carry gun. It's an LC9 that has had a trigger job, the magazine disco has been removed along with the loaded chamber indicator. The Hogue grip sleeve makes for a much better purchase on the grips and the *NEW* Ruger extended magazines are really nice. The sights have been changed to "tritium"

Ruger does NOT offer any other triggers, you get from them what you get.

Old August 13, 2018, 12:18 PM   #5
gc70

The LC9 and LC380 use the same trigger parts. Ruger's LC9/LC380 owner's manual shows the only parts that differ by caliber are magazines, slides, barrels, and recoil springs.

The trigger weight of an LC9/LC380 typically runs around 6.5 pounds. The trigger stroke is long by design, both as a safety feature and to allow a relatively low trigger weight. While you will encounter pistols with different trigger pulls, they are the result of production variances rather than design differences.

The striker-fired LC9s has a trigger weight that is around a pound lighter (5-ish) and shorter trigger travel, which particularly endears it to shooters who do not practice keeping their sights on target during a heavier, longer trigger pull.
Old August 13, 2018, 03:50 PM   #6
Carmady

Thanks for all the comments. It looks like ALL the LC9 and LC380 hammer fired pistols are built with the same trigger.

Last edited by Carmady; August 14, 2018 at 06:16 AM.