The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2010, 10:33 AM   #1
maze51

Need advise for what reloading equipment to buy

I'm not sure I have this in the right thread:

I am very interested in learning to reload, and I would like to know what I will need, and what brands to buy. Money in not going to be a factor, as I try to always buy the best so I won't have to upgrade later. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The caliber loads I will be doing are 300 WBY, 308, 22-250, 12 gauge, 45, 40, and 357.

I am truly a novice and any literature or dvd's on reloading would also be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
Old April 14, 2010, 11:00 AM   #2
billfrombyron

Lyman number 49....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=217655

Start with this manual.

I love my Lee reloading equipment. I have an old RCBS rock chucker that I got 2nd hand, and I use almost all Lee dies.

I would love an electronic scale and dispenser, but its not necessary.

Start with Lyman, learn from it as it has a wonderful step by step guide with pictures and all for the novice and tons of load data for a wide variety of cartridges.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=423081
This is the Lee starter kit, its pretty good, just add a better scale and your all set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=646599
This is a nice rock chucker single stage kit with all the right stuff too.

Add Lyman case length gauge trimmer with the drill adapter and your good to go.

Whatever you decide, don't start with a progressive no matter how cool it looks.

Start small, then work your way up. Take it slow and double check everything. Then check it again.

I love Midway, Graff and sons, mid-south shooters supply and Wideners. You will find lots of good stuff there and the reviews on Midway help tons sometimes.

Hope some of this helps!

-Bill
Old April 14, 2010, 12:15 PM   #3
maze51

Thank you

Thanks Bill for the info. I realized I did put this into the wrong thread, I just saw the reloading thread below in it's own category. Maybe the mods can move it, I haven't been on this forum since 2003, so my navigating skills are limited.

I'm looking forward to learning all I can about reloading, and improving my shooting skills.
Old April 14, 2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Bud Helms

It's in the wrong forum. Well, was.
Old April 14, 2010, 06:01 PM   #5
bumnote

I recently started reloading and bought the Lyman T-Mag Expert Deluxe Kit and have been very happy with it. It's a turret press, which allowed me to start slowly like on a single stage press and then speed things up a little once I was comfortable. It comes with a case trimmer and digital scale and the manual...but get more than one. I bought some from Loadbooks USA that are caliber specific with loading data from multiple manufacturers...kind of like a 'best of' book.
Depending on what comes in the kit you get, a few other inexpensive things I think are important to get are a powder trickler (under $20), an impact bullet puller (under $20) a primer pocket clean (about $2) and these powder dippers.

Last edited by bumnote; April 14, 2010 at 06:06 PM.