The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 6, 2009, 07:40 PM   #1
2DaMtns

Is there any state where open carry is illegal?

I am considering a long road trip most of the way across the country and could venture into as few as 6 or as many as 20 states. I am going by myself if I do it and will definitely be carrying in some capacity. Are there any states that do not allow open carry?
Old May 6, 2009, 07:45 PM   #2
hoytinak

It's illegal in Texas...unless you're on your own property, out hunting or a comissioned security officer on duty.
Old May 6, 2009, 07:50 PM   #3
pacerdude

In Georgia I think it is up to the individual municipalities as to if you can open carry. Also I believe its illegal in Illinois. Have a good time though.
Old May 6, 2009, 07:52 PM   #4
poc1

it depends on if you are talking about open carry with a permit or without. In Tn its ok to carry open with a permit. But if you don't have permit don't even think about it. By the way great to be back I used to post years ago before the site was shut down. Its good to be back lurking haha.
Old May 6, 2009, 07:55 PM   #5
wdelack

Texas does have a "traveling" law that allows one to carry in your automobile. However some municipalities (Houston for example) choose to ignore this law.
Old May 6, 2009, 08:00 PM   #6
2DaMtns

I would carry primarilly in my car. But as a subsidiary question, do you think a LEO in a state in which I am not a resident would be more lenient/understanding if I carry in their state, or would they be harder on me since I am more familiar with carrying guns and such?
Old May 6, 2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Trooper Tyree

Oklahoma is very restrictive about open carry if I recall correctly. Concealed with a permit is fine, just not open.
Old May 6, 2009, 08:16 PM   #8
poc1

I wouldn't count on it. And as far as being understanding about your situation just remimber that cop doesn't know you from Adam. If I were driving through a state that I was not sure of I would obey the law and keep my peace undercover.
If I happened to be stopped I would smile and say yes sir or whatever and move on.
Old May 6, 2009, 08:18 PM   #9
emtgunnut23

Illinois is a terrible state for carry laws. No open or concealed carry, unless your in law enforcement.
Old May 6, 2009, 08:21 PM   #10
rjrivero

Ohio......

Ohio allows open carry. When they were debating weather or not to allow concealed carry, the 2nd Amendment backers marched in Columbus with their guns carried open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DaMtns
I would carry primarilly in my car. But as a subsidiary question, do you think a LEO in a state in which I am not a resident would be more lenient/understanding if I carry in their state, or would they be harder on me since I am more familiar with carrying guns and such?
"Ignorance of the Law is no excuse."
Old May 6, 2009, 08:49 PM   #11
darkgael

open

New York, I believe. And New Jersey, too.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:00 PM   #12
tulsamal

Quote:
Oklahoma is very restrictive about open carry if I recall correctly. Concealed with a permit is fine, just not open.
You got that right. I _thought_ it was OK to open carry when walking dirt roads far from any town. The deputy sheriff put me face down in the gravel while pointing his Glock at me for it. His way of showing me the error of my ways. I was about 75 yards from my house and ten feet from my fenceline. Didn't matter! As you might guess, I'm still mad about it!!

The whole gory story is here: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...threadid=80795

Gregg
Old May 6, 2009, 09:12 PM   #13
pendennis

Michigan and Kentucky both allow open carry. It doesn't mean you won't get stopped by the cops, however.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:18 PM   #14
OldMarksman
Staff

Up to local governments in MO, and illegal in most populous counties. There is no central reference file.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:19 PM   #15
Mello2u

http://opencarry.org/

This site might have the info you are looking for.

From their map, it looks like you would have trouble in over half of the states.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old May 6, 2009, 10:03 PM   #16
RevDerb

Remember if you are open carrying without a CCW, as soon as you enter a vehicle with an open carried handgun, it becomes concealed and therefore belongs unloaded and in the trunk.
"... and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36b)
Ruger GP100 .357 , Ruger SR9, Ruger SR40c, Ruger LC9, Ruger LCP, S&W 22a, Marlins, Henry .22 and a shotty.
NRA, USN, Viet Nam Era Vet
Old May 6, 2009, 10:52 PM   #17
fast-eddie

open

In Washington State it's legal. Vancouver, Wa and serounding counties.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:57 PM   #18
FrontSight

NY & NJ you will be shot on sight by police
Old May 6, 2009, 11:02 PM   #19
Cerick

Dont even think of carrying open or concealed in NY or NJ. Cant have it loaded in your car either. Must be seperate from ammunition. www.usacarry.com good site with interactive maps that tell you where you can and cant carry.
Old May 6, 2009, 11:21 PM   #20
Stuohn

Quote:
Texas does have a "traveling" law that allows one to carry in your automobile. However some municipalities (Houston for example) choose to ignore this law.
wdelack- If your talking about HB 823 (your supposed to be able to carry concealed in your vehicle while "traveling") but, no one explained/defined what traveling actually meant. Then it is obsolete because the penal code for unlawful carry of a firearm was changed September 2008.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

As for the OP Texas & Illinois do not allow open carry.

Last edited by Stuohn; May 6, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old May 6, 2009, 11:27 PM   #21
jdscholer

Forget about California. jd
Old May 6, 2009, 11:40 PM   #22
intheburbs

In Michigan, if you are open carrying as you walk down the street (which is legal and cannot be preempted by local municipalities), then get into a car, you are now carrying concealed and better have a permit. If you don't have a permit to carry concealed, the gun must be unloaded and cased and inaccessible by passengers, blah, blah, blah.

Might want to check other states on that.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:58 AM   #23
knight0334

If you venture into PA, unlicensed OC is legal on foot, except you need a LTCF or a reciprocal license to OC or CC in a City of the First Class(Philly).

To have a "firearm" (handgun , SBS, SBR) in a vehicle whether loaded or not while in PA - you have to have a LTCF or a license from ANY state. If you are passing through PA in a direct manner, you can do so unlicensed under the FOPA provisions. Travel off the beaten path and state laws will apply.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:23 AM   #24
moga

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerdude
In Georgia I think it is up to the individual municipalities as to if you can open carry. Also I believe its illegal in Illinois. Have a good time though.
I'd like to point out that this is entirely untrue. Firearms legislation is preempted in Georgia by state law. Local municipalities are not permitted to make up rules regarding gun ownership or carry that must be followed in their municipal areas separate from those laws passed in the General Assembly. Open carry is perfectly legal all across Georgia. Many, many people open carry every day in the peach state, including in the city of Atlanta.

In addition to the states that have been identified by others, I'm equally positive that OC is NOT allowed in FL by a licensed carrier.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:26 AM   #25
BlueTrain

Judging from the map of the open carry states, California is more liberal than Texas, but you expected that, didn't you.
Buy War Bonds.