The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 8, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1
simonrichter

With the advent of drones: Anti-material effectiveness of handguns

Even in the light of several drone-related discussions here on TFL, it's still a very hypothetic and futuristic issue. However, flying and crawling guided objects will see increasing use on battlefields and with LE. Thus, maybe a few years from now discussing the effectiveness of a handgun might not only comprise its might to incapacitate a BG, but a drone as well.

Again, it's highly hypothetical, but: Will the same rules apply? Or will one need, say, less single-shot power in favor of quick multi-shot capability to bring down a mini-drone flying on roof height? Or, another thought, less expansion but more steel-penetration to fight a robotic intruder?

I'm strictly talking handguns here, while being aware that, IF at hand, a rifle or shotgun might better suit the task.
Old June 8, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm going to close this as not relevant to the mission of TFL.

With no offense, shooting at a drone in the air is an incredibly risky civilian proposition. A miss sends a round into the surrounding area.

While this may not be a problem in a battlefield, it is in the TFL typical environment.

Sorry - closed.

Tags
ammunition , drone