The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 7, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
crossfire027

Unknown percussion cap pistol kit?

Hi, so yesterday I was given this Percussion cap pistol "kit" by someone I know. He gave it to me to rebuild and get in working condition, but I have no idea what the thing is. It has an L & R Manton model 1700P for a lock, it needs a trigger and a good amount of work, But I don't want to do anything to in until I know what it is. Also the pistol is about 1 ft long.

Old October 8, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2
g.willikers

Check out the parts pages and schematics at Dixie Gun Works.
They should have something useful.
Old October 8, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
smokiniron

What is it?

It looks to me like a CVA (Connecticut Valley Arms) pistol kit. I have one I bought 35 years ago, still on the project list. CVA was bought by someone that Mr. Google can find for you. parts are likely available.
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old October 8, 2012, 04:57 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unless you are looking for a "winter project", and have some experience in fitting parts and stockwork, you might find that kit gun is a "gift horse". A lot of those are incomplete or unfinished because the purchaser became frustrated and decided it was not worth the time or effort to complete the job. With that one, there is the added factor of cost for the missing parts.

I won't suggest you give it back, but felt a note of caution would be a good idea.

Jim
Old October 8, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

It looks to me that it is something somebody has put together from "scratch" - not a kit gun. I've never seen a "kit gun" with an L & R lock but I could be wrong. If you need parts to complete it - go to Track of The Wolf (google it). They'll have what you need including L & R lock parts.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63