The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 5, 2009, 08:53 AM   #51
Blue Grass

As a famous man (Winston Churchhill?) once said:"A person will probably never need a gun in their lifetime. However, if they do need a gun, they will need it very badly and very quickly." Or word to that effect. Pretty much sums it up.
Old October 6, 2009, 07:08 PM   #52
stonewall50

this is an interesting topic. Its been a while since i posted, so here goes my response.

I moved down to Gainesville a month ago to attend the university of florida. 1 of my roomates is strictly anti-gun, and the other guy doesnt really care but isnt comfortable around them. Him being pre-law and me being a history major with a passion for open discussion, we ovbiousy had the discussion.

Our first talk went as I expected. He asked me if I was going to have a gun in the apartment. I told him that I was not going to because I did not have anywhere to hunt and that i understand him not feeling comfortable having never been exposed. I told him straight up that if I HAD a gun in the apartment it meant I was going hunting and that he and anybody else in the apartment except for me was NOT to touch it.

Discussion continued and we got into the ethics. He said that he understands hunting weapons, but he saw no point in having a handgun. I right off the top of my head gave him the 3 recent incidents in the news, plus the articles, where a person was saved by a gun(naked old man, man stabbed in orlando shot his attacker dead, and a guy in my area was tazed and pulled his gun and shot the attacker dead). That ended the discussion pretty quickly.

So if I were asked why I carry concealed(which i dont yet, but i will). Simple, when something hits the fan it hits it quick. I have a former US marine scout sniper in my class(10 year tour of duty all over the world and has severe PTSD). He put it best when he said, "In times of trouble, those who dont carry tend to gravitate to those who do carry. Why? Simple...saftey. If there was no need for guns then the cops and soldiers wouldnt carry them. And the cops are only there for clean up."
Old October 16, 2009, 08:58 PM   #53
doose69203

I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it
Old October 16, 2009, 10:55 PM   #54
sks

The best reason will vary for many. If you are single then the best reason is probably to protect yourself. If married with children then probably to protect them and yourself.

For me it is to protect myself first of all so that I am still able to protect my family. Whether at home, in the car, at the Home Depot, etc. I want to have the option of reacting if necessary and having a large part in the decision of what happens or doesn't happen to us.

Yes, I have guns strategically placed around the home; bedroom top floor, kitchen bottom floor and basement. All are in handgun safes with the same keypad combination. Same guns (SIG) in each, ready to fire. Just open, draw out and fire.
Old October 16, 2009, 11:02 PM   #55
MLeake

Stonewall50

Having lived in Gainesville, I'd offer you the following caution:

UF owns a lot of property down there. Some streets that are used as public thoroughfares are actually on university property. When you get your carry permit, be very careful where you drive, because there are some spots where being stopped with a weapon in the vehicle would put you in violation of state law.

Otherwise, you'll find the north central Florida area fairly gun friendly.

There are public rifle ranges in Lake City (100 and 200 yd lanes) and the Ocala National Forest (100yds). There's a public indoor range about 7 miles south of UF in Micanopy.

Have fun, and good luck.