The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Dannyboy303

handloading magnum for accuracy

Just wondering what the benchrest shooters with Magnum rifles (eg 7mmrem mag 300win, 300rum, 338 etc) use for their primers and projectiles? i have just got my 300win finally decked out as you would say and need some "high precision" loading tips.

Im using cci large magnum primers atm but wondering if i'd be better off trying cci's large rifle BR primers. Or what do you use for your magnum on the range? Where should i head projectile wise?
Old February 10, 2008, 02:16 PM   #2
snuffy

What range?

I would assume you're talking at least 600 yds, to need a maganum riffle. Or perhaps 1,000 yds? That's the only scenario that would require that much velocity to buck wind and limit trajectory.

Assuming that, I would go with a 190, 200, or 220 Sierra matchking. I'm sure that Berger makes some VLD bullets in that weight range that would be a very good choice.

As for primers, the CCI BR should work, it might be a little on the cool side to ignite a large charge of slow burning powder. Dunno, never loaded for a 300 mag, just a 300 WSM.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 10, 2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Dannyboy303

I was also thinking they may be a bit too cool for the amount of charge in the cartridge also, thats why i want suggestions .

Yeah snuffy, my magnum is used for pig hunting and deer aswell as off the bench. Im keen to get into buffalo hunting aswell. But for now i just want to try getting the most accuracy at 100-200 yards not worrying about wind or speed. Just accuracy.
Old February 10, 2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Walipala

Deer? In Australia? I've never heard that. What kind's been introduced? I'm just curious. (I know New Zealand has got red(?) deer running around on South Island.)
Old February 10, 2008, 10:15 PM   #5
castnblast

I reloaded both 7mm rem and 300 win mags...I used cci lg rifle on 7mm w/ h4831s/c and CCI mag on the 300 using RL 22. If you are looking for tight groups, I'd start w/ a Sierra Game King in a 140 SPBT, or a 160 Game king SPBT. both have proved very consistant in weight, and I clover leaf them w/ my loads...As for the 300, I used Hornady SPBT's in 165 for trajectory, and Sierra game kings spbt's in 180. the Sierra's had a better ballistic coefficient from my recollection than the hornady's. I think they have a slightly thicker jacket as well...
Old February 10, 2008, 10:36 PM   #6
Dannyboy303

Wali- red Deer in Australia top end QLD and NT.. im sure all over aswell. Red deer mainly and was first introduced in the 1800s. Plenty of deer even 1hr out of big cities like brisbane.

Castnblast- thanks for the great info. I am currently using the exact primer and powder you say you use for your 300 so thats a start. Im wondering also whether the large rifle BR primers give it an extra edge or is it not worth it?
I will try some of the projectiles you stated in your post i am ordering a batch today. Also Getting Nosler competion 168hpbt to try out
Old February 16, 2008, 09:57 PM   #7
castnblast

Dannyboy, you may want to look at Retumbo as well. I sold my 300, since I don't have anything big enough to justify shooting it at here in TX. The 7mm rem mag is flat as a pancake w/ that 140, and I've nailed plenty of Nilgai with them. (about the size of red stag...600lbs or so.) Sierra's are the way to go. I have not loaded retumbo, but it is made for belted mags. You may also try H4831, but I found it works far better in the 7mm and .270 than in the 300. Could've just been my gun. I WOULD NOT use the competition round on game. They are designed with a very thin jacket to improve consistancy. Although they will be deadly accurate, they will blow to pieces on an animal, and not produce the penetration you need. I learned this first hand when the ballistic tips were first introduced. Very, very accurate, but their jackets were paper thin. I killed a deer w/ one that just about blew the shoulder off a deer, and had no penetration to speak of into the innards. If that had been an elk, or Nilgai or Red stag, it would have been wounded and never recovered.