The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1
kestak

44 Magnum reload

Greetings,

I need some guidance.

I have a bullet 240 grains LSWC and I am using Hogdon H110 .

The Hogdon website lists only the 240 GR. NOS JHP and the load is 23 gr <--> 24 gr

Anyone can tell me what would be the min/max for the 240 grains LSWC with that powder please?

Thank you
Old January 12, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Scorch

You didn't say whether these are cast or swaged, but either way, the only load recommendations for H110 with cast bullets I can find specify linotype metal, and minimum load pushes the bullet at over 1200 fps. With typical cast bullets, this will cause leading. My recommendation would be to use a different powder.
Old January 12, 2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Wapiti

I think H110 is for magnum loads. You probably can't find many loads using 110 for cast bullets for the same reason I don't use it for cast bullets. Too hot of a powder will really start to melt the back end of the bullet(with no gas check), which leads things up, as well as running lead bullets too fast will lead things up as well(gas check or not). As stated, get some Unique or powder in that category, and fire away. I personally keep lead bullets(hard alloy) below 1000fps.
Old January 12, 2008, 02:39 PM   #4
kestak

Greetings,

It is hard cast bullet with blue lube in the rear grove (I don't remember the exact term).

Thank you
Old January 12, 2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Doc44

I used H110 for my Ruger carbine. The pistol charge for this was 18 grn to start and 20.5 max. It produces a very evan pressure with a good crimp. For myself 2400 was my go to powder for Mag loads. I worked my Ruger S. Blackhawk up to 23 grns of 2400 behind a 250 grn hard cast Keith style bullet. This is a MAX load in most manuals and it served me well in 3 different 44's for the past 30+ years. When I ran low on the lead bullets I would use the old 240 grn Speer 1/2 jacket bullets. I have been working on a 315 grn hard cast LWN with a gas check. I almost never use jacketed bullets and hollow points are a waste of my time. I want a big hole and deep penetration! I am hunting hogs here and I need some kind of bone crusher. I know everyone kills them with a 22 but not me,HA! Remember "Windage & Elivation", Doc.
Old January 13, 2008, 02:53 PM   #6
LAH

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data that may be beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I've used 23 grs. of H110 for the 250 cast Lyman 429421. We've sold 1000's of these loads with no complaints. I wouldn't reduce this load more than 10%. Just my 2, your mileage may differ...........Creeker
Old January 13, 2008, 05:45 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Elmer Keith developed the .44 magnum using 20:1 cast lead bullets, which are not especially hard. Even softer are the swaged bullets large ammunition manufacturers use, so there is nothing inherent in cast bullets to prevent a making a full power load using them. The usual revolver admonitions will apply, however. Check that your chamber mouths are all at least as big as your barrel groove diameter, or leading and poor accuracy will result. Make sure your barrel has no constrictions, especially where it screws into the frame, or the same leading and poor accuracy will result. Firelapping often corrects both conditions simultaneously, but that is discussed in other threads.

In particular the question was about H110. It will work fine with cast bullets. Hodgdon may be hesitant to recommend it, but Winchester, which sold the same powder as 296 was still marketing it for themselves, they had no trouble listing a load:

Please note that their bullet, having no lube groove is likely to be shorter than yours. Because H110/296 has ignition difficulties, especially in revolvers, underloading can result in the burn squibbing out and leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel. This is why they tell you not to reduce a load more than 3% at Hodgdon, though that number has been proven a bit overcautious in most cases. I recommend you measure the length of your bullet, add it to the length of your case, then subtract the COL you will use. The result will be how deeply the bullet will seat in the case. Set your caliper to that resulting number. The depth stem will now be sticking out of the back of the beam by this amount. Load the case with just enough H110/296 to come up to the tip of the depth stem when you rest the edge of the beam on the case mouth and stick the stem down in.

Empty that charge onto a scale. If it weighs less than the 25 grain Winchester number above, use it. If it exceeds the Winchester number, use the Winchester number as a maximum.

P.S., The reference to the note on Page 31 in the image above, leads you to Winchester's warning that 296 requires a heavy crimp (especially with lead bullets), or the squibbing out I described for reduced loads can also occur under that circumstance, and leave a bullet stuck in the barrel for the next round to crash into with potentially catastrophic results.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle