The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2005, 08:27 PM   #1
InSoMNiaX23

Cleaning choke tubes...

I don't know if anyone has ever done this before, but I just wanted to throw this one out there. I got to cleaning my shotguns today and after looking at the choke tubes, I noticed they were pretty dirty. I started thinking about what else aside from Hoppes 9 or Gunscrubber would be good for cleaning them and I decided to try the Coleman fuel for my camping lantern (someone told me it was similar to white kerosene). I let them soak for about a half hour in a tin can of it and even without brushing them, I noticed black clumps of carbon sitting at the bottom of the can. I ran a bronze brush through them and any build up inside them just slid out. I wiped them down with some CLP and they were as clean as I think I have ever seen them. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post, but give it a try. It worked very well for me.
Old June 19, 2005, 08:56 PM   #2
sm

CRC Brakleen.

I like simple. You can just use a a cleaning rod chucked into a battery operated drill, wisps of 0000 steel wool or the finest grit of Scotchbrite cleaning pad on a old bronze brush.

This is how one cleans the chamber...might as well do the bbl from chamber to muzzle.

ALWAYS have a choke tube installed when doing this - lest you really screw up them fine choke threads.

If time to inspect / maintain chokes: Remove and blast with CRC, ( cheaper than Gun Scrubber) , both the Choke and inside where threads are.

Apply RIG +P to threads , re-install choke , light film of RIG to protect bore....worry about it again in 2K rds...unless you are a choke changer....

HTH
Old June 20, 2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Nnobby45

For a lot of years, nothing but a Tico rod was used to clean my shotgun barrels. Had a great grandfather who used to hunt ducks commercially--many decades ago. His view on the matter was "once those little fellers get used to goin' out of there a certain way, don't change it." He never cleaned a gun (barrel).

Recently, shooting Tactical slugs and buckshot, and maybe some of the newer ammo, there's a buildup ahead of the chamber that I clean out. I like the drill idea. I've been using the Scotchbrite pads and solvent, or a copper brush. I'm fussier about keeping my Combat shotgun clean than I am my bird guns.