The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 7, 1999, 06:51 PM   #26
Dennis Glover

Chink,
The 870 is a very good shotgun. It comes in many gages and you can get it in the affordable express model that doesn't have the pretty finish but it is chamber for 3" magnum shells if you choose to use them. You can spend alot of money for others and have the most expensive single shot made. That is the kind th functions and jams and that jam ends up costing you the ultimate price. your life. I like remingtons in the semi-auto 1100 special field for bird hunting. I use the 20 ga. which has a 21" barrel and holds a max. of 4 rounds with plug out. It falls in the most expensive single shot group because it has jammed a few times. The 870 on the other hand I carried one in the field for years and it never failed me.
The 870 with a 21" barrel in 12 ga. which will hold 5 shoots and you can buy an extended magazine that will increase this to 9 shots would make a very good home defence weapon.
Old March 7, 1999, 08:36 PM   #27
hksigwalther

Hairball,

Another TFLer e-mailed me a similar question. Here was my reply :

Hello Rick,

The first time I had used Foster slugs it was in the Mariner. The recoil was
so great that it prematurely opened the action after the first shot. It did not
open it completely, just enough to lower the carrier and release a new round from
the magazine. This would not have been a big problem except the hull from the
fired round wouldn't come all of the way out of the chamber. Had to put a lot of
effort on the slide to pull the hull out. Although I felt that the action opening
up by itself was somewhat dangerous, I proceeded to shot the rest of the four
slugs one at a time just to get rid of them. Some time after that, I tried mag
loads and they too opened the action slightly, but not as bad as the slugs and
they were easier to extract. Now I know from experience that if you do not hold
the fore-end even pheasant and dove loads will open the action under recoil.
However, every time I did hold the fore-end the action has never opened under
recoil up to regular load #4 shot. (I really haven't tried larger pellets as I
think #4 is the best for indoor defense. Doesn't penetrate as much through drywall
as buck but should provide enough energy and spread to at least get whoever is not
welcome to drop what they may have.)

Later on when I got one of the parkerized 590s I went to the range with a
co-worker friend who had a blue one. I handed him a couple of either Brenneke or
Federal sabot rounds to try out. I was thinking that the plastic 'shoes' would
help ease the slugs travel down the barrel and not give any problems the Fosters
did. Unfortunately, the same thing happened to his and my shotgun and I haven't
used slugs in the 590s since.

On the other hand, I had tried the sabots and mags in a Benelli M3S90 and the
gun worked fine. Those rounds are punishing on the shoulder though.

- Ron V.

I know Sabots aren't the best in smoothbores, I just wanted to try them.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited March 07, 1999).]
Old March 8, 1999, 02:39 AM   #28
Hairball

I've shot like 20 or 30 "magnum" slugs through my 590 and never had problems like that.

if i fire it one handed with a pistol grip on it, that happens (and it hurts my hand like hell).

But from the shoulder, it's never bothered me. Of course, I want to buy a double barreled 12ga just so i can fire both barrels at once for the massive recoil it gives.

Anyway.. just hold on to the fore-end tighter, or get a pistol griped fore-end.

I was thinking more like barrel damage or something when i asked the question.. hehe
Old March 8, 1999, 11:38 PM   #29
Cat

Hairball,
I was reading your post from 3-4-99. You show the stuff about MilSpec etc. No problem. That's factual history.
Tonight there was a program on the Discovery Channel about "American Commandos". They were with an Army SF team during training. One of the team leaders was carrying and using a 14" barrel shotgun. A Remington 870!
You can pass MilSpec, but the "Rough Boys" will use what works best for them.
Cat
Old March 9, 1999, 02:53 AM   #30
Hairball

I was reading something about that too Cat..

It seems even though they dont pass the "Mil-Spec" testing, The Army and Marine Corps still use 870s...

Maybe they know something i dont..

Anyway, I have nothing against the 870s, good shotguns they are, i just dont like the placement of the safety and slide-release.
Old March 12, 1999, 06:42 PM   #31
Tripemaster

If you have the money, consider buying a Remington 870 modified by Scattergun Technologies (www.scattergun.com). Their “Standard” model is IMHO the perfect home defense gun. They have already done all of the modifications you would ideally want: 18” barrel, Ghost ring sight with tritium front sight, extended magazine tube, laser-products flashlight permanently mounted on pump, side-saddle shell carrier, and the whole thing is already parkerized. After doing a lot of research, I ended up buying this gun around the first of the year, and love it! It is not cheap, but if you bought the individual parts to modify the 870 yourself it actually would cost more.
Old March 13, 1999, 08:37 AM   #32
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

In reguard to DOD and shotfuns the USMC, lead branch for this particular program, has adopted a version of the Benelli Super 90 as the Department of Defense's new standard shotgun. It will be equipped with a rail system (similar to the Reed Knight RAS), and will have the ability to accept all systems compatible with the M4 carbine.

I currently own a Beretta 1201 that made a trip to Ted Yost's shop for Gunsite Police Shotgun mods. This is the gun that resides in my bedroom for those things that may go bump in the night.

My wife, who weighs 112 lbs, has no problem shooting it. Though try as I might, started with #7 shot, then up to 00 buck, and finally as a last resort slugs, she didn't thing the gun had too much recoil and stated "I've got me a new gun!" after she got done shooting it.

Old March 17, 1999, 02:39 AM   #33
BHanna

I've got a 590 Moss;stainless but have only shot about 5 rounds thru it. I got it for an excellent price and I'm thinking of trying 3 gun with it. Do you think I'll get laughed off the local skeet range if I bring it out there?
Old March 17, 1999, 10:33 AM   #34
Hairball

You know, i used to shoot skeet all the time with my 590. It wasnt easy, but once you get used to it, you can do pretty good. Of course, I went out and bought a Mossberg 9200 just so i could have a choked barrel to shoot skeet with, and I do considerably better with it.

But, go ahead and try it, just dont get too fustrated if you dont start killing clay targets right away.

And, if anyone starts giving you smack about it, hand them the 590 and say "I'd like to see you do better with this gun."

[This message has been edited by Hairball (edited March 17, 1999).]