The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2013, 09:50 PM   #1
dean1818

Feedback on CZ Shotgun 712

Anyone have any feedback on the CZ712 utility

I may break my own rule and buy a non american made.....

Thoughts?

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old July 26, 2013, 09:58 PM   #2
ripnbst

Feedback on CZ Shotgun 712

None for this specific firearm but I will say that CZ seldom has complaints about ANYTHING they make.

If you like it, buy with confidence.
Old July 27, 2013, 06:40 AM   #3
dean1818

This is a gun that CZ doesnt make..... Its made for them

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old July 27, 2013, 11:44 AM   #4
SteelChickenShooter

It's the first and only auto loading shotgun I ever bought. Very impressed with internal fit and finish. Favorable rating in a popular gun test magazine I subscribe to.
Old July 27, 2013, 07:23 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

As stated - do not confuse this with CZ-made pistols, as this is made for them in Turkey
Old July 27, 2013, 07:53 PM   #6
FairWarning

I've seen very favorable reviews online for the 712. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up given the bargain price. Weatherby also has an affordable import shotgun line (SA and PA) that I've seen good reviews for in the same price range, I'd check them out also.

Last edited by FairWarning; July 28, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old July 27, 2013, 08:36 PM   #7
cjmmc

i had a cz over under that was not worth the scrap metal price id say get yourself a franchi afinity for only like 175 dollars more
Old July 27, 2013, 09:54 PM   #8
armoredman

Mine works very well, quite happy with it. Short video I made with it.

http://youtu.be/MkYGJvBtOSA
Old July 28, 2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Mezzanine

Ive extensively used both the 712 and the 912. I still have mixed feelings about them. Starting with value i think it is a good first shotgun. You get C IC M IM F chokes with the gun which is nice. And the wood is attractive in general on these weapons, i dont expect it to stay that way however as it is fairly easily scratched or dented. The bluing is pretty durable though. But once you get inside the shotgun you discover (in the 712) that it is a bit of a pain to completely strip for cleaning. And that is where you see some tool marks, some very rough edges and that kind of slop.

As far as shooting goes, it shoots good but is high maintenance. While it is a very light shotgun it is also long for just having a 28 inch barrel. The balance is pretty good and it swings good for its length. It is light recoiling like any gas shotgun. And the recoil pad is very comfortable. Definitely a shotgun that will fit somebody with longer arms better than one without... This thing gets dirty (712 more so) fast and it doesnt like being dirty. You can only go about 200 shells between cleanings, after that failures start. Mostly failure to eject, anywhere from 1 to 10 times per box of shells this will happen, after the ~200 shell point as mentioned.

Im not overly impressed with it but it is not a $1k+ shotgun, its a good starter auto loader. My brother, who shoots it more than me, absolutely loves it. Shotgun shopping is all about how it shoulders and swings, and no 2 people are exactly alike so if it feels good to you, get it.