The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 20, 2011, 01:56 PM   #51
Doc Hoy

Yup!

Just came home from the Gun show and it is amazing how many of the vendors either don't know about Cabela's prices or won't admit to knowing. There was very little in the way of BP revolver but virtually every last one of them had a starting price at least 50 dollars higher than new prices.
Old February 20, 2011, 02:34 PM   #52
ROGER4314

I bought a number of BP pistols from Cabelas and have had absolutely no problems. An adult must be present to sign for the package. The prices are great and quality is very high. I prefer the Pietta pistols but that's just a personal preference based on ease of getting replacement parts.

I have several BP revolvers that are many years old and made before CNC machining was common. There is a vast difference in fit and finish with the new ones coming out way on top!

Don't hesitate to buy the BP pistols from Cabelas. They are a genuine bargain!

Flash
Old February 27, 2011, 11:49 AM   #53
BlackPowderSmoke

Doesn't really matter

Quote:
The cheapest I found online was $315 plus shipping, so it is pretty much a wash, only for the few extra bucks I get to handle it before I buy.
Although the Cabelas Pietta for $199 is sounding good

Last edited by BlackPowderSmoke; February 27, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old February 27, 2011, 12:05 PM   #54
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPowderSmoke
Doesn't matter because it is obvious that the Pietta is the best choice, but here is the cheapest new Uberti 58 I know of for $295 plus shipping at Imact Arms
But it seems that Impact Arms always has their stuff marked "Out of Stock".

Here are my candidates for the cheapest Uberti 1858 models:

S&S Firearms Uberti 1858 $276 But you have to call them because I've seen where their catalog price is not up to date.

Buffalo Arms Cimarron imported Uberti 1858 $301

It's just darn hard to beat the value of a $199 Cabelas 1858. Especially as a starter cap-n-ball revolver.
Old February 27, 2011, 05:19 PM   #55
BlackPowderSmoke

Clembert,

Darn sure can't beat Pietta price and quality these days. At Cabella's prices my next revolver may just have to be a Pietta.

As for Impact Arms, I noticed when I pulled the link up for this thread that the item was out of stock. When I was considering buying it last year, it they were in stock. Didn't realize that is the norm for them.

Last year, I considered the Uberti 1858 from Impact Arms since it was the cheapest I could find online, then found I could get a Taylor's from a local gun shop a little cheaper and I could handle it before accepting it. Didn't buy that one either, when I realized I could buy two used ones for just a few dollars more. Mine work for a living so being new was of little importance to me.
Old March 1, 2011, 02:36 AM   #56
MEATSAW

I keep seeing here people saying that Cabela's customer service is top notch. That if you buy an 1860 or 1858 (or whatever) and you do not like it (for whatever reason) that they will take it back and give you another or refund your money.

However I was browsing their site today and in quite blunt terms on their return policy page is states that black powder guns are not eligible for their return policy.

So which is it?
Old March 1, 2011, 08:24 AM   #57
mykeal

Cabela's has excellent customer service. They will work with you to get a satisfactory result, and the vast majority of people who have problems with Cabela's merchandise report being pleased with the outcome.

However, that refers to defective merchandise. If you get a bad product, they'll pretty much do whatever it takes to satisfy you. If, however, you want to return a product because you find out, for instance, that a perfectly good $200 1858 Remington does not fit your high expectations, well, they may choose to invoke that policy.

It's that 'for whatever reason' thing - it's hard to define.
Old March 1, 2011, 02:48 PM   #58
arcticap

They don't want folks to send them back, or to know that they can send them back and that they will bend over backwards to satisfy you if they are sent back.

That's why we tell everyone by word of mouth that if you buy from Cabela's that you can send them back.
We all advertise and send Cabela's so much business that they should be paying the forum royalties!
Old March 2, 2011, 11:01 PM   #59
Bill Akins

Here's a couple of more differences between the Uberti 5.5 inch Remy and the Pietta 5.5 inch Remy, besides just the dovetailed sights and lever latch of the Uberti vs the posts of the Pietta.

The silhouette of the ramming lever is different on the Uberti vs the Pietta.
Notice how the Uberti has a shorter "web" section to its lever vs the Pietta and the Uberti has a more severely angled "cut" to its rammer "web" where that web goes into the rod shaped forward part of the rammer. While the Pietta has a gradual tapered flow of its rammer "web" going into the rod shaped forward part of the rammer. This alone is a dead giveaway as to which brand revolver it is from a distance.

Also notice how the actual rammer part that goes against the ball does not extend as far into the frame on the Uberti as it does on the Pietta. See how the actual ram that touches the ball can be seen in the ball loading cutout of the Pietta even with the rammer lever fully latched, while on the Uberti when the rammer is fully latched, you cannot see the part of the rammer that contacts the ball. Also notice how on the Uberti the fore most part of the ram that touches the ball can be seen forward of the frame directly under the arbor "ears", while on the Pietta that part of the rammer is hidden inside the frame unseen. Look at the rear of the "web" of both loading levers directly under their arbor "ears" to see this difference.

You can see all the above if you carefully study the two below pictures against each other.

Uberti

Pietta

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; March 2, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old March 3, 2011, 12:26 AM   #60
arcticap

The top strap of the Pietta looks like it's beefier, along with some of the other parts of its frame too.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:08 PM   #61
Hardy

Ok I have bought over 100 guns in the last 2 years that are C/B percussion revolvers . Piettas that come in the red and black Tradition box or Pietta box are far more in demand fot retail than the ones in Cabella box. There are reasons which I won't go into but ask some others. And yes I have bought some fine ones from Cabella--those people are professional, friendly and wholeheartly wanting to please you and will take back guns and refund your purchase if your gun has flaws or not functionally right. They buy so many that they can offer discount prices but some are not up to par due to mass buying them from Pietta. Don't hesitate to send one back if it isn't right. I know