The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2008, 08:52 PM   #1
MADISON

Which bullet weights with which twist?

Which bullet weights with which twist?

Does anybody have a list of which rifle bullet weights goes with which twist, they can post?
MADISON
Old February 16, 2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Scorch

Go to just about any barrel-maker's site and you will find a chart outlining suggested twist with bullet weights in different calibers.
Old February 17, 2008, 12:47 AM   #3
NAVET

This is second hand so take it with a grain of salt. I asked a friend of mine about that very same thing as I am still reading up on reloading BEFORE I buy my first set up. He quoted the Greenhil Formula. I have never put it to the test to see if it's true or if it's a math problem meant to confuse us normal non math geek types.
T=150 X Dsquared / L
T=Number of twists per inch
150 for rounds going less than 1800 FPS. Substitute 180 for rounds over that
DSquared=Bullet diameter squared
L=Bullet length
My only question is there are some pretty wild twist rates out and the math works out sometimes to an impossible number. IE A Ruger Blackhawk in .41M has a 1:20 twist. That works out to an "optimum" bullet length of 1.26075".
Again, I have never tested the formula to see if it works, just passing along info. Personally, it is WAY to much math for me. But IF its any good, it would save time and money by at least getting you in the ballpark. The downside is trying to find bullet length without actually measuring each Manufacturers bullet and weight.
Old February 17, 2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Toolman

Depends on the caliber. Most bullet manufacturers have that info and will recommend rifling twists for specific bullet weights.
ie: Sierra #1380, 22 cal (.224 dia) 69 gr HPBT-Match says 7"-10" twist barrels.
In my experience with .223 Rem & 5.56 NATO, 36 gr bullets like a 1:12/1:14 rifling whereas 69 gr bullets like a 1:9 rifling. 55 gr bullets in a 1:9 twist barrel have given me decent groups too.
YMMV