The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 12, 2018, 07:48 PM   #1
musicmatty

Tree Stand review

I was in Walmart a couple days ago and came across what looked to be an exceptional buy..A two-man Treestand. It was on sale for $54. Made in the Good Ol’ USA of steel construction and it seats two.

I’ve had the good Fortune over the last few years of trying out two different tree stands that were shared with me by fellow hunters when they were not using them. These two different tree stands that I had the good fortune of using, we’re both single Seaters. This new purchase from Walmart in comparison, feels like a Cadillac! For one person, it’s obviously very roomy since it’s constructed for two people and it has a cushion seat and a drop bar out in front that’s wrapped in foam and a back support that’s cushioned as well.

It came with one ratchet strap to secure the top around the tree. However, I provided my own from Walmart that were 15 feet long… And it’s a good thing, because the tree was extra wide in diameter and the original strap did not fit around it. I also attached a ratchet strap from the ladder where the brace bar is located that reaches to the tree..I ran the strap around the tree then back to the ladder for added stability. I have to say, this tree stand with the two straps feels like it’s Cemented to the ground and at the top of the tree as well. You feel very secure sitting up in it.

With two of us assembling it and then securing it to the tree, it took a solid 2 1/2 hours. Also note, this tree assembly came with two harness straps for you and your partner should you choose to use it while up in the tree. I would also recommend purchasing 2 ratchet straps of better quality as I did.

Yep..I fully recommend this stand for anyone who wants some comfort and roominess and feeling very stable 15 feet off the ground !

Last edited by musicmatty; December 12, 2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old December 12, 2018, 08:47 PM   #2
2damnold4this

Looks like a decent stand for the money. Do you have a part number?
Old December 12, 2018, 09:00 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Nice stand for 54 bucks. "In the right store at the right time I'd say." Dandy view of the field also.
Not in anyway suggesting~ But~a little Attractant carefully placed along its woodsy edge would definitely enhance y'll's bird watching.
Old December 12, 2018, 09:17 PM   #4
musicmatty

Definitely a great panoramic view of the area that I’m hunting

Old December 12, 2018, 09:21 PM   #5
musicmatty

I sure don’t have the part number…sorry. It’s simply the two-man ladder stand from ‘Big Game’ sold at Walmart. Apparently the stand used to be called the Ameristep’. Here is a very informative video about this stand that should be helpful

https://youtu.be/xnN8JfcgaVg

Last edited by musicmatty; December 12, 2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old December 12, 2018, 09:56 PM   #6
7.62 man

I think this is the one he has.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Big-Game-...IaAmLLEALw_wcB
Old December 13, 2018, 05:27 AM   #7
musicmatty

Yep.. that’s the one and it has 622 reviews with 4.5 stars out of five.. not surprised !
Old December 13, 2018, 06:37 AM   #8
cptjack

I paid 150 at cabbalas
Old December 13, 2018, 07:47 AM   #9
musicmatty

Damn.. now I know I got such a great price at $54! I’m thinking I should go back and purchase one more to just store it away for down the road.

I have no intention of taking it down in between seasons so I covered it with a tarp to help protect the top of it. I feel confident that it will last more than just a few years this way… At least from others that I have seen left up.

Last edited by musicmatty; December 13, 2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old December 13, 2018, 07:19 PM   #10
gw44

Well you did good, do to age I can't climb anymore, my wife said so I sure do miss it, just not the same of the ground !!!!
Old December 13, 2018, 08:10 PM   #11
sako2

Musicmatty I have stands up that were never taken down or covered. Going on 10 years.
Old December 13, 2018, 09:09 PM   #12
stolivar

Go for it

I just bought one tonite at my local walmart for $64.

steve
Old December 14, 2018, 04:07 AM   #13
bamaranger

steel stands

Though it is common practice, leaving a steel stand up, in the weather, year after year, is not something the makers normally recommend. Not only is steel subject to rust and corrosion, but the webbing and the cords used to attach and support the stand are highly vulnerable to weathering.

If leaving a stand up constantly is one's practice, be sure and inspect and repair as necessary before ascending next season.
Old December 14, 2018, 04:10 AM   #14
bamaranger

convenient

Uh????? Is that a house about 150 yds behind your stand?
Old December 14, 2018, 08:00 AM   #15
wild willy

If you plan on leaving a stand out all the time painting it with better paint helps.Another thing where the stand uses removable pins replace with bolts and lock nuts don't crush the tubing but snug the nuts.Makes the stand quieter and harder to steal or mess with.I'd take the seat foam and rail covers off and take the tarp off probably rust more with it on.Not to down your review but if you spend a lot of time in a stand its better to spend a little more money and get a stand with full platform and folding seat most of the better ones the shooting rail is adjustable and the stand will be a little taller
Old December 14, 2018, 09:14 AM   #16
Doyle

Quote:
Uh????? Is that a house about 150 yds behind your stand?
There are lots of people that bow hunt in urban neighborhoods. Some of the biggest does I've ever seen in my life live in greenspace areas right next to yuppie neighborhoods here in Starkville. If I could get permission from the people owning that greenspace, I wouldn't need to belong to a hunt club. I'd just bowhunt all year inside the city limits.
Old December 20, 2018, 12:15 AM   #17
musicmatty

I purchased a gun rack that’s designed to be mounted on a tree stand and it came in the mail the other day. I assembled it at my home and tried it out in the closet as seen in the picture… Mounting it to the hanging bar. It occurred to me, that this would be a great place to hide a rifle in your bedroom for home protection that will give you easy and quick access.

I keep my gun cabinet in my bedroom so I really don’t have a need to mount it in the closet… But for others this may be a great option.

Old December 23, 2018, 04:24 PM   #18
musicmatty

This tree stand gun rack was a great idea

Old January 3, 2019, 10:39 PM   #19
bamaranger

can't help it

Uh........is that a barn or shed in FRONT (sort of) of your stand?????
Old January 4, 2019, 09:56 PM   #20
musicmatty

Quote:
Uh........is that a barn or shed in FRONT (sort of) of your stand?????
No, That is my garage to the far left of my stand. These pictures here show my field of you for the area that I will be hunting. But if there was a deer standing by my garage and the tree line I would definitely shoot it… It’s a non-issue.

Field of you from the ground behind my stand.

Field of you up in the stand looking straight ahead.

Field of you up in the stand looking to my right.

Field of you up in the stand looking to my left.

Last edited by musicmatty; January 4, 2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old January 15, 2019, 11:38 PM   #21
Prof Young

I leave stands up all year and . . .

I leave tree stands up all year and some of them have been in place so long that the tree has literally grown around parts of the stand. You'd have to take a hatchet or hacksaw to it to get it out. Anyway I give them a good inspection in the spring and replace ratchet straps as needed. I always safety harness myself to the tree not the stand and all seems to be good so far.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 16, 2019, 07:52 AM   #22
jmr40

Big game season is over in most places. This is a good time to get good prices on a lot of gear if you keep your eyes open. Sounds like you got a deal!

Winston Churchill
Old January 16, 2019, 09:58 PM   #23
musicmatty

Quote:
I always safety harness myself to the tree not the stand and all seems to be good so far.
This 2 man stand has nice railings that surround both people in this stand along with a shooting rail that drops down in front of you. This is far better than the single ones that I have sat in that offer no protection whatsoever. This Stand came with two safety harnesses but I’ve opted to use a cambuckle strap instead. I Fasten the strap to 2 thick long eyebolts going into the tree. I positioned it so it functions like a seatbelt in your vehicle.

Adding a gun rack to the side rail next to me which allows me to free up my hands is a big bonus as well.

Old January 17, 2019, 04:51 PM   #24
jfruser

Not having used a ladder tree stand, I always thought they were a temporary thing you lugged to a tree, strapped down, used, and then lugged it back to camp or your truck.

If that is not the case, is there a tree stand solution that fits the bill: lug-able, quick & temporary install?
Old January 17, 2019, 05:07 PM   #25
musicmatty

Quote:
If that is not the case, is there a tree stand solution that fits the bill: lug-able, quick & temporary install?
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...yABEgK52vD_BwE