The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 8, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: September 8, 2008
Posts: 1
Need info please on M1-Garand to sell

(30 caliber made in springfield, Mass. circa 1941 and up) I aquired through Will of late Uncle and need to find out how I can go about selling it? Do I have to look up serial numbers? (there are two on gun) and therefore register it?
Or what would you suggest... so that I don't have to, LOL. My Uncle was a character and I have NO idea where this gun came from! I don't think he would have stolen it or anything like that. He was an upstanding citizen, prison guard and a good man.
Is there some web site to go to find out where the serial numbers link to?
Thanks, M

Last edited by millman1; September 8, 2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: misspelled
millman1 is offline  
Old September 8, 2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: April 4, 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 127
Go to ''Garand Collectors''
Glenner is offline  
Old September 8, 2008, 11:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: May 4, 2001
Posts: 7,166
M1 rifles AS ISSUED by the US government have only ONE serial number, and it's on the rear of the receiver, just behind the rear sight.

Other "serial" numbers are usually a sign the gun was given to a foreign government, then brought back to the US.

Whether you have to license or register the rifle depends entirely on where you live.
That would be a state or local ordnance, since there is no Federal licensing or registration.

There is no site to link serial numbers, other than to find out approximately when it was made.
There are no records on where the rifle was before you got it from your uncle, unless he wrote down where he got it.

Basically, depending on where you live, you can just sell it.
You'll need someone who knows M1's to actually look at it and determine a fair value.
Value depends on actual condition, whether it was used by a foreign country, and whether it still has all USGI parts or some aftermarket "replica" parts and other factors.
Dfariswheel is offline  
Old September 9, 2008, 01:09 PM   #4
James K
Senior Member
Join Date: March 17, 1999
Posts: 24,383
If you choose to sell, the best approach would be to call gun shops (not "box" stores) in your area and ask about a consignment sale. That means that you leave the gun with the dealer to sell after you and the dealer agree on an amount that you will receive when the rifle sells. The dealer gets whatever above that he can.

A consignment sale is almost always better for the seller than a direct sale to the dealer.

Depending on your area, a direct sale (newspaper ad) may be one way to sell, but some newspapers won't accept gun sale ads and in some places it may bring attention from people you wouldn't want to sell to. Using a dealer eliminates those problems.

Note that most price guides give retail prices, not what you can expect on a sale to a dealer, which would be significantly less.

State laws vary, but I don't know of any state that requires registration of that type of rifle (maybe CA?); the dealer should know.

Jim K
James K is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.04152 seconds with 8 queries