The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 18, 2019, 08:42 AM   #51
USNRet93

Quote:
I did a similar "decision matrix" several years ago to prioritize options before putting hands-on
I did the same thing...categories of shootability, reliability, concealability(why does my spell check says this isn't spelled right?), effectiveness...ranked possible choices 1-10..added each column up and decided.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 18, 2019, 11:01 AM   #52
JN01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6

[B
1. Reliability[/B]. This comes first from reviews and reputable manufacturers. While it's hard to "shop" for reliable, it's an attribute that can really only be discovered after shooting several hundred rounds along with which defensive ammo is most reliable and accurate in your particular handgun.

2. Shootability, is also very subjective. It's not an aspect you can put in a decision matrix until after you handle and hopefully shoot the handgun. Much of this depends on highly on the individual, how the gun feels in the hand, ease of presentation alignment, trigger reach, grip size, etc. The importance of this to me is training. The more "shootable" your handgun is, the more likely you'll enjoy shooting it a lot, and in turn, spend more time training with it. This attribute leads to more frequent training, faster presentation, more accuracy, faster follow-up shots, etc. While reliability is the top attribute, shootability is a close second.

3. Concealability, or size/dimensions. This plays a bigger role for comparisons in a decision matrix as it's more quantifiable and easier to see. However, dimensions do not mean they'll fit you better (be more shootable), or guarantee reliability. I use these attributes to narrow down choices. Concealability has more to do with your holster/carry system, clothing/attire, body-type, activity/occupation, etc.

Weight plays a role, and while it's often directly proportional to size, weight has it's own concerns. These concerns can be mitigated by a proper gun belt, but much depends on activity as a heavy gun that is overly noticeable can cause discomfort and fatigue in some situations. Still, a proper holster/carry system and belt will often negate the negative affects of even the heavier/larger guns. If one is pocket carrying, this often becomes a bigger factor. Again, method of concealment plays a big role.

ROCK6
Excellent post, and the first three points sum up my view perfectly.
Old February 18, 2019, 03:06 PM   #53
Tactical Jackalope

Right off the bat, reliability.

Next up is shoot-ability. If in my hands the pistol I choose runs flat and tracks the way I want it to to match my speed and accuracy, that's a winner for me. The bore axis was negligible when it came to hammer-fired SIG Sauer and HK weapons because of this. Granted, it's a little quicker with pistols like Glock and Smith and Wesson. However, not as dramatic enough to tip the scale.

Capacity is great as well. More bullets in the magazine = more time in the fight and less time wasted on reloads, which could get uglier.

Now all of this said, nothing triumphs mindset, skill, and tactics. Those are more important than anything else.
Old February 18, 2019, 05:07 PM   #54
Prof Young

Ability to shoot it well . . .

Given that there are plenty of guns available that are well reliable and nicely concealable the attribute I like most in a carry gun is my ability to hit what I am aiming at with it. For instance, I have a Springfield XDE as it has all the features I like in a CC gun. BUT at seven yards I still hit 6-8 inches to the left. This after a couple thousand rounds and a private lesson from a well qualified instructor. Not sure if I'll keep it or just keep learning to shoot it. Also, I have a sig p238 which I can shoot amazingly well. On a bad day I'm am only an inch or two to the left, on a good day there is one big hole right in the center.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 21, 2019, 04:19 PM   #55
gwpercle

Attribute #1. First , foremost and principally !

It must be on your person when the need arises .

If it is too big , too heavy , too uncomfortable...whatever the reason.... if you can't keep it on your person , all day , every day ... then it's not worth having.

My need came at 9 am , armed robber entered , I was in the office kitchen getting a cup of coffee ...the 1911 was on my desk . It did me NO GOOD .... He shot 4 times...I had no gun and he was in the door way .
The gun has to be comfortable enough and concealable enough to stay on your body all day long so you do not become separated from it .... If not...Its worthless .
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; February 21, 2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old February 23, 2019, 06:15 PM   #56
labnoti

I'm surprised so many people emphasize reliability and concealability or ease of carry, and so few even mention safety to carry.

Understandably, reliability is critical, but I can't think of a mainstream gun model that suffers reliability issues. There are certainly quality control issues in manufacture, but those problems aren't endemic to a particular model. Ok, the Desert Eagle is known to be unreliable, but is that really a concealed carry gun? I don't think there is a current, modern-model Glock, Sig, Springfield, CZ, Ruger, S&W, Beretta, FN, H&K, Kel-tec, Kahr, or Walther that is accepted by a lot of people as undependable. A 1911 is probably more prone to malfunctions than any of those, and I don't think it's been regarded as unreliable for more than 100 years. Even cheapo, budget brand imports like Charter and Taurus aren't really unreliable so much as they're lacking refinements, fit and finish, features and panache. Even a Hi Point is reliable. If anything was going to make practically any of the modern carry guns unreliable it would probably be a cheap aftermarket magazines. So I just don't see reliability as being an important selection criteria since it's not practical to unselect it.

Ease of carry and concealment I get. I had a hard time, a very hard time wrapping my head around how to carry a full-size gun, until I didn't. I now carry an all-steel, full-size and it's just not an issue. I had just psyched myself out because I didn't want to be "that guy." But it not only carries, it also conceals very well and I got over it.

Where I'm still hung up is safety in carry, and I can't believe nobody else considers this to mention it at all, much less to put it above reliability. I think most modern current model handguns are drop-safe, so in my mind the primary safety issue is prevention of AD/ND due to catching the trigger. This is not a function of the gun and it's action alone, but of those things, the holster and the concealment garments. I can't believe people mention "Capacity" and seem to disregard a carry gun's action and what it means with regard to what is needed to carry it safely.