The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 3, 2019, 01:02 AM   #1
TheCarrot

Ruger Scout Floor plate??

I am considering getting a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308 (model 6822 to be specific).

I am wondering if it is possible to replace the bottom portion of the rifle with a standard Hawkeye trigger guard and floor plate, removing the need for detachable magazines.

I don't mind the magazines, but they aren't something I need and they are just one more thing to lose.

I know, I know, why not just get a regular Hawkeye? Well, everything else about the GSR is exactly what I want. Iron sights, barrel that is thick/heavy enough to do continuous shooting, threaded 18" barrel, pic rail, etc. And since I really don't mind having magazines, I chose the GSR over a traditional Hawkeye.

Mostly, I am just curious if there is a modification that can be done (without going to a gunsmith) fairly easily to put a floor plate on a GSR instead of having the mags.

Thank you all in advance!
Old February 3, 2019, 08:28 AM   #2
oldscot3

I wondered the same thing, the answer is no.

The stock inletting is bigger and the bottom of the action is milled out differently also. The GSR doesn't use a middle screw like the conventional internal magazine does, although the hole is there.

I'm learning to appreciate the detachable mag. There are pros and cons of course but you just have to tolerate the cons and embrace the pros.
Old February 3, 2019, 09:00 AM   #3
oldscot3

I don't want to highjack your thread since this doesn't apply to the 308, but my GSR is in 5.56 and what I discovered about the detachable magazine, is that it allows me tremendous flexibiliy to load ammo to lengths longer than the ar 15 magazine constrained length of 2.26". This represents a real advantage in my mind, when shooting longer bullets of 69 grains and up.
Old March 1, 2019, 02:09 PM   #4
Marduk

I wondered the same thing so I called Ruger and Oldscot3 is correct. I was told by Ruger that this will not work. I was also told that many people ask about putting a mag well in a Hawkeye and the answer is the same. Nope. My GS is the 450 BM as I hunt in SW MI and we cannot hunt here with bottle neck.

Tags
gsr , gunsite , ruger , scout