The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 20, 2019, 04:06 PM   #1
Nube

Marlin

I have acquired a Marlin 22 Mag "Lever Matic" and as far as I can tell it has no serial number or if it does I can't find it. I am understanding that before 1968 the manufacturer did not have to have serial numbers. If I am correct can some one tell me or give me an educated guess as to the age and value of this rifle? It is a shooter with some bluing worn off the barrel and some dings on the stock but for it's age I don't think in too bad of shape. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions. (Sorry for the sideways picture as I'm not too good with computers.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0175 - Copy.jpg (80.8 KB, 104 views)
Old January 20, 2019, 05:54 PM   #2
Salmoneye

My understanding is that only the post 1968 Levermatics had serial numbers...
Old January 21, 2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Charlie98

I've got a Marlin 99M1 with no SN... besides seeing when they started production, there isn't really any way to determine age.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 22, 2019, 01:02 AM   #4
bamaranger

Levermatic

Why Marlin made the 'Matic, when they had a winner in the lever action Model 39 already is a wonder. But I always wanted a Levermatic in .256 Win Mag. But I'd settle for one in .30 Carbine too!

Congrats on your new rifle. It's from a great era when things were the way they were supposed to be......walnut and steel.
Old January 22, 2019, 07:52 AM   #5
Nube

Thanks to all who replied. The age was in doubt without a serial number as I didn't think it was possible to "age" it without one but it was worth a "shot"
Old January 22, 2019, 01:37 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, firearms were not required by law to have serial numbers.

Many did, many did not. Some makers numbered everything they made, others nothing, and some numbered their high end / main line models and didn't number their budget guns.

Some makers use(d) a date code marking, often a letter, on the barrel or some other part. Others didn't. I do not know if Marlin did, or if they did, did they do it on the model gun in question? Sorry I don't have an answer.

A pre-68 gun with no serial number is completely legal. IF that gun NEVER had a serial number. No gun that had a factory applied serial number is legal if that number has been altered, removed, or defaced. (pre or post 68 doesn't matter if the serial number has been tampered with, it's illegal, period.
Old January 23, 2019, 08:03 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

^^^44AMP nailed the legal side of it.
Old January 23, 2019, 08:11 AM   #8
Nube

Thanks it looks like it never had any numbers on it and for sure it has not had any taken off so I've got a 'gooden' then, appreciate all the comebacks.
Old January 23, 2019, 11:46 PM   #9
ThomasT

You found a real treasure in an excellent cartridge. The 22mag came out around 1959 IIRC so your gun would be between then and 1968. You might ask this at either www.rimfirecentral.com or https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/forum.php