The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Bernie Link

2" 410 shotshells

Hi Friends, a while back I had a post about on old H&R single shot shotgun I picked up. It's marked "410-44 cal" on the barrel. From my understanding it used to take 44 cal. shotshells or 2" 410 shells. I don't think either is made anymore. Does anyone know of someone that can make me a few? This gun was made in 1919 so I would want a light load to be easy on the gun. Help??? Thanks, Bernie
Old November 6, 2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Chainsaw.

Find ya a roll crimper for .410, look at some load recipes and start experimenting.
Old November 6, 2018, 01:36 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Suspect finding somebody to make 'em for you will be a problem. Legal and liability issues.
However, you can buy Magtech, 2.5", brass .410 cases from Midway for $22.99 per 25 and trim 'em. Currently on Backorder, of course, but it gives you an option.
No idea where'd you get data. Try the Lyman book. Or rummage around here(that's probably a good idea anyway). http://www.fourten.org.uk/light.html
Old November 6, 2018, 08:15 PM   #4
FITASC

Or you trim 2-1/2" down to the proper length and go from there.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 7, 2018, 11:39 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Your best bet is probably RST. They offer specialty loads, most of them specifically so that old shotguns can be fired without stressing them, for quite a few gauges and chamber variations - including 2" .410.

Link: RST .410 2"

Unless you have a friend that can help you load shortened brass cases, that's the only reasonable option I know.
There are legal and liability issues that come into play for anyone but a licensed manufacturer to load them for you.
Selling shortened cases? Not a problem. (Even if primed.)
Selling commercial shot? Not a problem.
Reselling wads/cards/etc.? Not a problem.
Reselling powder and primers? Not a problem; but difficult and expensive to ship.
Selling loaded shells? Potentially a very big problem.