The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 22, 2013, 08:04 PM   #26
pathdoc

This gave me a few helpful hints for my last range trip, which was in sub-zero-centigrade temperatures:

http://youtu.be/dKOjkmmJNc8

Hope it helps you.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:49 PM   #27
dayman

It's been cold here, but at least in the woods I'm out of the wind. Being a 1 minute walk from my warm house also helps as I can go in and warm up between sets.

Last edited by dayman; December 23, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old December 23, 2013, 02:44 PM   #28
Nanuk

Well the high today is -10 Fahrenheit. It was fun watering the horses.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:12 PM   #29
jrothWA

For cold weather shooting, I have used

the wool knit, "thinsulate" line gloves available from most hardware stores or D3 gauntlets with wool liners.
The extreme cold weather long johns and good old fashion USGI field jacket with liner, and either a L.L. Bean gray THICK wool watch cap or black thinsulate lined balacava(covers the neck).
Boots are Sorels or Irish setter thinsulate lined.

Firearms are cleaned and lubed lightly or dusted with graphite.
Old January 4, 2014, 06:56 AM   #30
Compromise

double up!

Its not nearly as cold in mo as up there.. however, Something I do, is get 2 or 3 pairs of the cheaper gloves i think they are nylon.

Anyhow put one pair on like normal, and layer 1 or 2 other pairs over that with the finger tips cut out. it will keep the majority of your hand warm and your finger tips will be covered with a single layer but youll still be able to bend each joint.

also, get a cozy scarf, wrap it up around your head and tie it under neath your neck. put your ball cap over it and your head gear on over that. The scarf will help keep the wind from biting the head so hard, and it's not too thick that you can't still wear head gear for the sound. The hat will help keep it in place. If you do it right it will actually HELP you in a training since, because you can wear it so that it's in your peripheal vision, therefor blocking your peripheal view which is a great training tool.

obviously still wear layers under your coat, and a scarf around your neck. youll feel like a stuffed animal... but everything is still thin enough for movement... but thick enough or covered enough to block some of the wind and cold.

I worked outside for 2 years in all types of weather for 15 hours a day and i was pregnant for 6 months of it, even during the winter and this is what I did to stay warm but still have the movement I needed. Youll look silly as hell.. but you won't be nearly as cold and your shot will go back to normal.
Old January 4, 2014, 07:35 PM   #31
Mainah

Zero to teens during the day here today with plenty of work to be done outside. I've found that rubbing a big dab of vaseline into my hands, followed by light liner gloves, and topped with heavy gloves helps prevent split fingertips at the end of the day.
Old January 17, 2014, 07:47 PM   #32
bobalo59

I shoot at an outdoor range, I try not to let the cold influence my shooting times. I practice with my EDC twice a week out doors and dry fire drills indoors. When at the range, I wear wool half gloves with surgical gloves underneath, and hand warmers in my pockets. As for the rest of my body, wool layering workes best for me.
Old January 27, 2014, 07:09 PM   #33
Tactical Jackalope

Never thought of it as anything tactical as a child up until about a few years ago, it all made sense to train in different environments outside. Rain, wind, night, cold, etc. What I haven't had the chance to train in is snow. Miami...