The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 28, 2006, 07:09 PM   #76
DeathRodent

My brother in law hid his revolver in the brown paper grocery bags that he had folded next to his refigerator - you know how they get stuck in that space between the cabinet and fridge. He put it in a bag and folded it up.

His house was burglarized and the thieves never found the gun.
Old August 28, 2006, 07:26 PM   #77
claude783

An oldie but goodie used in the early days, was to create a small space in a wall, normally above a doorway.

You would then wall paper over it. In an emergency, you just shoved your hand through the wall paper and took possession of the firearm...today with stainless steel, a revolver could remain tucked away for years!

Another place is between the window curtains and the wall above the windows. Can't be seen from the outside and if your curtains are heavy, can't be seen from the inside. Yet the gun can remain on a hook just waiting to be used.
Old August 28, 2006, 07:35 PM   #78
Shamus

A few years ago I wanted someplace safe to store my guns.

Couldn't afford a real safe back then and being handy with wood decided to build a coffee table. Ended up weighing about 200 lbs when I finished. The solid top was doweled to the sides and from one end you could pull out a drawer. It released by turning the bottom of a leg 1/4 turn. With the drawer closed and the leg turned you could overturn the table and never know that it contained anything. Table is 72" X 40" with a felt liner over foam with velcro straps. Fits 4 rifles and 4 handguns nice and tight and I am the only person that knows about the drawer.

Well, I was the only person..........
Old August 28, 2006, 08:04 PM   #79
Don H

As often as I've seen these clocks and pictures with hidden compartments on the 'net, I doubt they'll fool many thieves.
Old August 28, 2006, 09:27 PM   #80
JJB2

i keep a small barretta auto in a holster clipped to steel rail on my side of the bed.... lots
of good ideas here for stashing guns though! a friend of mine used to live in a small house and he had the ceiling of a small hallway to his bed room faked so he could put lots of rifles and handguns up overhead and you couldn't tell it...... they weren't that accessable but they were well hidden from thieves!
Old August 28, 2006, 10:12 PM   #81
Bosshoff

I used to have a 12 gauge in a soft gun case hanging from a hook, centered on the back of my bedroom door. I would then throw/tuck/hang a flannel robe over it. I kept the door open, so no one ever noticed the added "heft" of the door.
Old August 28, 2006, 10:52 PM   #82
PinnedAndRecessed

Inside a trophy. If you lift up the brass plate it's hollow inside. If it's big enough, anyway. This one was one of my parent's bowling trophys.

I stashed all kinds of stuff in there at one time or another.
Old August 28, 2006, 11:01 PM   #83
PinnedAndRecessed

One consideration. You don't want to be so "clever" in your hiding spots (multiple guns?) that, in times of extreme panic (is there any other kind), you can't think where they are.

I know that sounds ludicrous, but you'd be amazed how your mind shuts down when you're afraid. You can't think of even the simplest things.
Old August 29, 2006, 12:06 AM   #84
Rangefinder

I'm not real creative anymore. I'm only worried about an intruder when I'm home. Since I'm almost always carrying, too bad for the intruder. When it's bed time, shoulder holster slips over the bed post nicely. There is only one way in or out of my place, and I don't even have to get out of bed to cover it. Again, too bad for said intruder. As for the rest of my firearms. I converted a large coat closet between my bedroom and the livingroom into a vault--steel reinforced door, jam, lining, a locking system of my own design, etc, but looks like a normal coat closet from the outside. A standard B&E happens fast--in and out, grab what's easy to grab and worth the most. They don't waste time on what takes time and isn't likely to be practical to them getting out clean. There's enough "easy money" stuff in reach that I'm not really worried about (DVDs, player, TV, computer, etc) for someone to spend the hours it would take to 'maybe' find out what's behind the door that won't seem to open. The most they'll do is kick in the false frond of the door, break an ankle against the plate steel behind it, and not be able to make it out with anything since getting out now means making it back up a wicked flight of stairs.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 29, 2006, 02:42 PM   #85
V.Oller

Many moons ago before I got a decent safe, I used to keep an old Colt Police Positive in a ziplok bag under some frozen veggies in my freezer. Can still shoot thru the bag...if ya need to...
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor
Old August 29, 2006, 07:27 PM   #86
Glockamolie

I bought a good-sized pistol safe (a foot square, or a little bigger) that uses a credit card swipe to open electronically. I use an outdated credit card for it. I have the card hidden nearby, in a place that I don't think anyone could accidentally find. Yet, it's so close, that I'm positive that I can grab the card and swipe it faster than I could punch in a combo, even on a finger touch safe. It was less than $100 as well. You could carry a backup identical card in your wallet.
Old August 29, 2006, 07:51 PM   #87
bartonkj

Quote:
Leave it to stupid thieves to risk incarceration for a few mouthfuls of cereal!
The condominium complex where I work is not the greatest atmosphere. We had two girls break into the condo across the parking lot from theirs to steal chicken and laundry detergent in the middle of the day. Someone saw them going back to their condo and the cops came and arrested them. When asked why they stole chicken and laundry detergent they said they were hungry and needed to clean up!

As far as hiding guns - have a gun safe in a closet (not really trying to do a super job of hiding) and my quick access guns are Mossberg 500 pistol grip 12 gauge under the bed, a .357 colt python wrapped in a wrag in my nightstand drawer, and a S&W 629 classic .44 mag wrapped in dishtowel on top of fridge.
Old August 29, 2006, 10:28 PM   #88
magister

old shoebox under the bed at night. gun safe when i leave the house during the daytime.
Old August 30, 2006, 02:57 PM   #89
rcupka

I did this at home and it works great! A typical nightstand or dresser has room between the drawers and the outer paneling. This opening is the thickness of the frame of the cabinet. I removed the bottom drawer, drilled a hole in front of the rear frame and inserted a wooden peg so that the gun is along the side of the cabinet. The peg is on an angle so that when the barrel is fulled seated it creates a slight interference with the bottom of the opening. I have a Ruger SP101 .357 that fits perfectly onto the peg and is held tightly. The drawer can be pulled out and dumped, the whole nightstand could be dumped forward and the gun stays tightly in place. I know it is there and because I shoot it almost every weekend and can grap it without looking, however a bad guy would have to get down on all fours and shine a flashlight into the open to see it.
Old September 2, 2006, 01:36 PM   #90
gunslinger555

Quote:
Along with my storm door, my main entry door is steel with only a small window at the top. I have a nylon holster with my Colt Det. Spl. velcroed to the inside of the door, just above the doorknob, canted toward me about 45 degrees, when I open it.

I can open the door to someone, & they never know my hand is just inches from a weapon. Should I invite them in, I simply close the storm door and leave the main door open, which puts the gun back against a wall and is never seen by a guest.
Nice I think im goiong to take your idea
Old September 19, 2006, 08:29 PM   #91
thebaldguy

How about behind a vent or cold air return? Before I got a safe, I would put a cased pistol in the ventwork. I placed it out of sight, so if they pulled off the vent cover, they couldn't see it. The cold air return was next to the bed, so it was easy to get to in the night.
Old September 19, 2006, 09:12 PM   #92
jfrey123

I'm getting ready to mount one pistol behind my entertainment center. The entertainment center runs along the wall where my apartment's entry door is located, and it's about 6in from said door. It would be accessable for when I answer the door or when I come home and find reason to believe someone is already inside.... Right now it's just sitting on the entertainment center ready to grab for "unwelcome door knocks", but I don't like the idea of someone breaking in while I'm not home and shooting me with it when I walk in the door.

In my bedroom, I use the wire-mesh buildable cubes in place of a dresser/nightstands. The one on my side of the bed has a ready-to-rock Glock 17 tucked between the second to bottom and bottom undershirts, with two extra mags sleeping next to it.... It looks so warm and comfy lol.
Old September 19, 2006, 11:24 PM   #93
Jason607

I would not hide any weapons near:
1. things criminals like to steel.
2. typical hiding places.

So, I think behind entertainment centers or computers is a bad idea. Also, under matresses, couches, it's all typical. In the watertank of the toilet, not that good either, because most burglers do drugs, it's a very common spot for thugs to hide drugs, because it's right where they can flush it if busted. A safe is good, if it's a big heavy one that can't be moved very easily. A small safe, you just put all your valuables in a nice, convienent package they car carry off and open later.

My uncle took a safe, marked (guns and valuables) on it, and put it in his bedroom, put some rocks and such in it so it sounded like it had some big things in it. Then put an old (1930's) filing cabinet and marked the different drawres with "Time Magizines" and "Newspapers" and other things on it. It was big, ugly, heavy, ocward, and nasty and even coated it with axel greese. So, it was heavy enough in steel that it would be hard to get open, it would take a little time, but it could be done, but lot of noise because it creeked alot. The greese made it even nastier, but made it slippery. Guess what, his apartment got burgurlized again, they took off with the safe, and never came near the place they were actually hidden.

Near the trash can is a good one. Also, behind things hard to move. A burgler will want to get in and get out quickly, without being noticed.
Old September 20, 2006, 08:10 AM   #94
bdcochran

I am a dancer. Even male dancers carry dance bags for shoes. One side pocket is exclusively reserved for a loaded Glock 29 in 10mm that is put inside a Fobus belt holster. This obviates any danger of putting a finger inside the trigger guard while withdrawing the handgun.
Old September 20, 2006, 02:59 PM   #95
tegemu

It struck me that putting a Tupperware container in your toilet tank, would save water on each flush, saving money and good for the environment. Sorta like the old trick of putting a brick in the T Tank.
Old October 25, 2006, 11:01 PM   #96
klambpix

I use a small CD wallet to keep my trusty little Kel-Tec 380 and a reload in. Makes for a handy place to slip the pistol and holster into when I have to take it out of my pocket for a little while or while I'm driving...stick it right between the seat and console so it's more accessable than being in my pocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD-wallet-holster.jpg (48.3 KB, 271 views)
Old October 26, 2006, 02:27 AM   #97
Glenn Bartley

What an informative thread, at least for a thief.
Old October 26, 2006, 09:57 AM   #98
Samurai

Any thief who can carry my trunk away DESERVES to have it!

2,000 rounds of .45 and 9x18 reloads are good for many things OTHER than target practice.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old October 26, 2006, 10:25 AM   #99
teejhot.40cal

Quote:
Empty cereal box in pantry, back when I lived in the 'hood. Was hoping theives wouldn't be hungry!

Maybe there on pot and have the munchies. That maybe why they broke-in in the first place.
Old October 26, 2006, 01:55 PM   #100
revjen45

My gun safe lagged into the concrete.