The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2018, 12:45 AM   #1
Safaripolice

First chrono 25-06 and super impressed!!!

Hey everyone,
I just want to say thank you for everyone that has helped me along the way with my reloading venture, which has finally become a hobby. Nothing but pure passion for this hobby and I’m so excited to hopefully get my first deer this year with my own handload that was made and tested by myself.

Well tonight I finally hooked up my new barrel chrono and tested my 25aught load. Here is the load:

Hornady 117gr SST
IMR 4350 @ 50 grains
Remington #9 Large Rifle Primers
My COL were approx 3.135-3.140

I hope my picture come through. 3033fps AVG

These rounds were fired out of a 22” Savage 110. I wish I had a 24”. Hopefully soon.

I was impressed at these velocities out of a 22” since my books told me these would be 24” velocities and I double checked my measurements so I am very happy! Wondering what it may have been with a 24”. Maybe 3100-3125fps??

Thanks again and Godspeed
Old November 9, 2018, 12:48 AM   #2
Safaripolice

Sorry my uploads from my phone keep saying failed. Wanted to show you the 3033 reading on my chrono

Also happy with the accuracy. Around 1-1.25” at 100 yards and .5-.75 at 50. I’m no sniper and it’s a cheaper rifle and again only my second or third load with this caliber. Tried 48-50 grains of IMR 4350 and got similar accuracy so I will stay with 50 for the added boost and trajectory
Old November 9, 2018, 01:07 AM   #3
Safaripolice

Hope this works.

If photo doesn’t come through please let me know. I uploaded from iPhone to computer and used paint to shrink it. There needs to be a faster modern way lol haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 23BF8063-8EAE-4D28-B7AE-5E75E9918134.jpeg (204.0 KB, 42 views)
Old November 9, 2018, 05:17 AM   #4
std7mag

Always glad to hear good results from a happy handloader.
And yes, great satisfaction comes with bringing home the deer with something you've made yourself.

Good luck!
Stay safe!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 9, 2018, 09:25 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Sounds like you are having fun.

Any time you get higher velocities than the load data shows, you may have a tight chamber, tight barrel, lower capacity brass, hotter primer or just a faster lot of powder than the load developer had. This will mean your peak pressure is higher than the test loads were. This all assumes the accuracy of the chronograph, but the reputation of the Magnetospeed is good and Bryan Litz likes them, so the numbers are probably close.

You can estimate the peak pressure difference a couple of ways. My back-of-the-napkin method said your pressure was about 5% over what the test load pressure was (raising the ratio of actual velocity over the expected velocity to a power of 2.3, then subtract 1 and multiply that result times 100 to get percent). Tweaking QuickLOAD to match Hodgdon's data online for the shorter 117-grain Hornady boat tail soft point bullet seated about 0.030 longer than yours and then substituting your bullet and COL also gives me about 5% more pressure than the test load, so my napkin method was close in this instance, and 5% increase turned out to be about 1.5% above SAAMI maximum. 1.5% is smaller than the accuracy limits of the best pressure measuring methods known, so you can just ignore it. I would, nonetheless, be keeping an eye peeled for longer-term signs of excessive pressure, like having your primer pockets get loose in fewer than about 5 reloads. That would be an indication you should back the charge down a little bit. But if your cases last ten reloads without loose primer pockets or splits anywhere, it's very unlikely you have any issue.

Incidentally, I tried three ways of getting a 22-inch barrel to your velocity in QuickLOAD, and when I changed the barrel to 24 inches these yielded 3096, 3096, and 3097 fps, respectively, so I think you can bank on about 31-32 fps per inch of barrel addition to your muzzle. That's a reasonable number considering the expansion ratio of your gun.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 9, 2018, 04:59 PM   #6
hagar

I use the same load except Accurate 4350 in my 25/06 Sendero. But the load is a tad hot, I was planning on going to 49 grains next time.
Old November 10, 2018, 11:01 PM   #7
Safaripolice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Sounds like you are having fun.

Any time you get higher velocities than the load data shows, you may have a tight chamber, tight barrel, lower capacity brass, hotter primer or just a faster lot of powder than the load developer had. This will mean your peak pressure is higher than the test loads were. This all assumes the accuracy of the chronograph, but the reputation of the Magnetospeed is good and Bryan Litz likes them, so the numbers are probably close.

You can estimate the peak pressure difference a couple of ways. My back-of-the-napkin method said your pressure was about 5% over what the test load pressure was (raising the ratio of actual velocity over the expected velocity to a power of 2.3, then subtract 1 and multiply that result times 100 to get percent). Tweaking QuickLOAD to match Hodgdon's data online for the shorter 117-grain Hornady boat tail soft point bullet seated about 0.030 longer than yours and then substituting your bullet and COL also gives me about 5% more pressure than the test load, so my napkin method was close in this instance, and 5% increase turned out to be about 1.5% above SAAMI maximum. 1.5% is smaller than the accuracy limits of the best pressure measuring methods known, so you can just ignore it. I would, nonetheless, be keeping an eye peeled for longer-term signs of excessive pressure, like having your primer pockets get loose in fewer than about 5 reloads. That would be an indication you should back the charge down a little bit. But if your cases last ten reloads without loose primer pockets or splits anywhere, it's very unlikely you have any issue.

Incidentally, I tried three ways of getting a 22-inch barrel to your velocity in QuickLOAD, and when I changed the barrel to 24 inches these yielded 3096, 3096, and 3097 fps, respectively, so I think you can bank on about 31-32 fps per inch of barrel addition to your muzzle. That's a reasonable number considering the expansion ratio of your gun.
Unclenick thanks for your amazing advice as always. You and Millard we’re instrumental in my custom rifle build that started as a carcano and Millard and I are now thinking of doing a custom maple stocked 25-06. Also regarding the tight chamber, the savage I was using has less then 100 rounds through it. Maybe that caused it or it’s a fast barrel or the SST rounds are quick. I’m still learning so any and all advice is welcome both good and constructive. I know accuracy wise I didn’t just use the powder dispenser as I scaled each round individualy since I have lots of time and am so new to this. I’m still learning so much but I wanted to post these results to show real life data. I might dial it to 49-49-5 and see if that will bring my saami level to a safer level but the 48-49-50 grains all worked with great accuracy on paper at 50 and 100 yards. I guess I was being a velocity snob and started making more of the 50 grains rounds once I saw it fired safely and didn’t get a tight bolt and primer wasn’t bulging. For deer season the little extra FPS is nice but the 25 aught has plenty of pop to it so I shouldnt sorry. Also most of my shots, god willing if any this year would be less then 150 yard and probably around 75-100. I love the The 117 grains and they do have plenty of power and sectional density for all white tails I just love hitting 3000fps from a quarter bore that doesn’t say weathyby lol. Im sure the velocity with 100 grainers will be crazy but then it’s into barrel burner speed and total meat devastation I would assume.
Thanks again for your post and I want to use that FPS program “QuickLoad” you mentioned.
Sal

Last edited by Safaripolice; November 10, 2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old November 11, 2018, 08:44 AM   #8
Road_Clam

I've been using chronographs for years as an assistance tool in load development. They are a valuable tool to help you track velocities, and as you gain data you can begin to compare trends of higher precision and velocities. Example, after testing over 150 loads in my R700 308 Varmint I came to the conclusion that the 168 gr match bullet was showing the most consistent precision at 2540 fps. Did not matter weather is was the Sierra SMK or the Nosler Custom Comp. Both bullets loved this velocity. Precision is all about finding that best suited accuracy "node" and barrel harmonics. There's much more to consistency than just finding a "good load" of exactly "XX.X" charge weight of "brand X" powder. A proven precision load shot in June will most likely NOT provide the same precision in November from ambient temp instability.OP your up around max fps especially given the fact your data is from a 22" bbl. Most of the published data is derived using a 24" bbl. You can expect about a 20 - 25 fps difference per inch of barrel in velocities. I almost never find the best precision loading to max. Many of my most consistent loads were actually mild.

Last edited by Road_Clam; November 11, 2018 at 08:52 AM.