The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 21, 2018, 12:19 PM   #1
Venom1956

Colt python 6" blued price checks.

Hey guys,

Got two leads on some pythons considering my options. Both are roughly 2.5k one being from Cabela's (using points brings it down to a reasonable price) and another local f2f sale. Timing on the Cabela's one checks out it's pretty solid. Looks to have the gen3 style wood grips pretty light colored wood. It has a light brownish Styrofoam clamshell and partial paperwork that IDC about since I can't confirm if it's real or fake.

Two things that gave me pause is it seems to have a nickeled grip screw which is abnormal I'd assume it was lost and replaced since it has slight holster nwear. And the blast shield where the star folds back into the frame the entire face of it has been polished smooth in the white. Which seems to uniform to be accidental. Info stamped in the crane is 08758E with a EE stamped below it. If that helps.

Second one is supposedly 1969 has a bit more bluing wear then the newer one. Has the 2nd style of grips. I know less of this one seller assured me the timing is good but I'll see/check when I have time to get there.

I know the current market is nuts I'd pretty much given up looking for something sub 2k and then sub 3k.

Older one seems like it might be the better bet if it checks out but I've also considered doubling down and getting both to hedge my bets. I could probably sell whichever i like less after comparing them or abit later down the line.

D, Mike ans everyone else will probably come and school me on stuff I've forgotten about pythons but I've got until next week to decide. So figured I'd bounce it of u guys see what u think. I plan on using them occasionally i do enjoy shooting old colt da so a 100% model never interested me.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 21, 2018, 07:10 PM   #2
bn12gg

I have purchased a number of firearms thru Cabelas. All my Brownings with any possible saltwood issues have come via Cabelas -- why, be/c I can return a salt gun that was misrepresented. I do not own a Python but all things being equal on quality and price, I would buy from Cabelas. Lock up on a used Python concerns me.

.02. David.
Old August 22, 2018, 09:00 AM   #3
Skans

It's been several years since I purchased my two Pythons. One is a 1960 95%+ condition and I think I paid about $1,300 for it. The other was a 1957. It was a shooter grade with finish wear when I bought it. I sent it back to Colt for refinishing and they did a real nice job.

I would expect the refinished one to sell for between 2-2.5K, maybe more. I've seen some refinished Pythons sell in that range. The 1960 Python would probably fetch a bit more because it's all original. These are just wild guesses.
Old August 22, 2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Venom1956

As far as I can tell neither have been refinished but tskenit with a grain of salt. I know prices for pythons kinda went nuts in the last few years.

I've been hunting foe last 10 years for a reasonable priced one. Most people want top dollar for whatever these two are the only ones if seen south of 3k that seem to be worth looking at. I could be wrong.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug