The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2018, 11:26 AM   #1
Carmady

32 ACP, Berry's 71gr .312" & Fiocchi brass?

Has anyone used this combo with success?

I found something on reloading the 32 ACP which said the European brass has thicker walls and the European bullets are slightly smaller diameter than the thinner walled USA brass with slightly larger diameter bullets.

And, that using the larger diameter USA bullets in the thicker walled (smaller case inside diameter) European brass would result in a thicker than normal cartridge which would not chamber.

I'm not finding much on reloading the 32 ACP, so I'm wondering if anyone has loaded Fiocchi brass with Berry's 71gr .312" bullets.

If not, what have you used that worked?

Thanks.
Old May 22, 2018, 01:38 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Lots of European made brass gets reloaded with no fuss. The thickness of the brass has nothing to do with chambering or the bullet diameter. Outside dimensions will be the same. CIP(the European SAAMI equivalent) and SAAMI case lengths for .32 ACP are the same. So is the case mouth.
So loading Fiocchi brass is the same as loading Winchester. The only data on Hodgdon's site is for a 71 grain FMJ though. Berry's only .312" bullet is plated. Those use cast bullet data and Berry doesn't publish any data. Mind you, at .32 ACP pressures, the jacketed data will do.
Old May 22, 2018, 03:07 PM   #3
reddog81

I've used Remington .311 bullets from MidwayUSA and Fiocchi brass. I didn't have any problems.

A while ago I measured the bullet diameter of a variety of 32 ACP loads and the general consensus was US made ammo was .309 and foreign stuff was .312. The .309 stuff shot better in a good condition 1903 Colt and the .312 shot better in a 1903 Colt with a worn out barrel. The .309 bullets would drop almost half way into the barrel before touching the rifling. The ammo was Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, Magtech, and a couple other foreign brands I can't think of off the top of my head. With cast bullets I always use .312.

I would consider it a possibility that the thick bullet and thick brass might not work, but you'll probably be fine unless your gun has a tight chamber.
Old May 22, 2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I ran into some eastern European 45 Auto brass once that was too thick. A pulled bullet measured 0.450". Loaded with cast bullets of about 0.452", that brass would not chamber in one of my guns. So, it can happen. I just don't think it's normal. You'll need to measure to see. Make up some dummies by seating a bullet in samples of each case you are considering and measure the brass OD overtop of them or plunk test them in your chamber. If you need the bullets back, and inertial puller will remove them. But the dummies will let you rack the slide and see how feeding goes, too.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 31, 2018, 03:31 PM   #5
Tylergnut11

Unclenick - you are talking Privipartisan brass. I boils some of those bullets and they only work in Nickel Brass.